• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Another odd thing there is leaving. They take your ID while shooting. A couple times waited ~15 minutes after shooting for someone to check me out and return my ID. That is a Batsh*t crazy procedure.
    Freestate in White Marsh does the same thing.
    That doesn't bother me. MSAR holds your ID. If you were shooting a gun in my building that I have to insure at great personal expense I'd want to know who you are too.

Heritage captures your identifying information at your first visit and they don't need to do it each visit. They just have a more advanced system. It's the same difference, they know who is in their building. I don't blame them. Business insurance is expensive, I can't even imagine what it is at a gun range.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Another odd thing there is leaving. They take your ID while shooting. A couple times waited ~15 minutes after shooting for someone to check me out and return my ID. That is a Batsh*t crazy procedure.

Heritage has never held my ID until I finished shooting. TMGN has. As far as I know, Heritage has never held Fidelity's either. When the heck did that happen? The last time you went with us?

Snav

Feb 27, 2013
    Montgomery Co.
    Gilbert's was forced to make the range a membership org. and not allow BYO ammo, which is also policy at some other ranges, due to liability concerns about handloads among other things. They didn't start requiring ID initially but I was informed that there has been at least one suicide there.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Um, not exactly. The CC snowflakes did not want people driving around with ammo going to the range. Therefore the zoning commission required Gilbert provide the ammo and use membership as a condition of his getting the zoning he needed to build the range.

Had nothing to do with handloads.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    The problem was getting your ID back at Gilberts. It happened more than once, and others have noted the problem. At the Machine Gun Nest I've never had to wait to get my ID, and have even had someone run outside when I forgot it once. As to not bringing ammo to Gilberts, they naturally have no motivation to challenge that. The membership loophole is bogus, as you can pay the going rate most ranges charge for a session, to become a member for a week. I've been told you can join and bring your own pellets.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    The problem was getting your ID back at Gilberts. It happened more than once, and others have noted the problem. At the Machine Gun Nest I've never had to wait to get my ID, and have even had someone run outside when I forgot it once. As to not bringing ammo to Gilberts, they naturally have no motivation to challenge that. The membership loophole is bogus, as you can pay the going rate most ranges charge for a session, to become a member for a week. I've been told you can join and bring your own pellets.

You've been told incorrectly. You can't bring your own ammo to Gilbert's, member or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    You've been told incorrectly. You can't bring your own ammo to Gilbert's, member or not.

Well it was from the guys at the counter. Told me pellet rifles were fine, and I could bring the pellets and shooting would be covered via the membership fee.

Humdi

Apr 21, 2017
    Rifle round is probably the only good thing about Gilbert, albeit short indoor range defeats the purpose, but at least it’s a decent place to tune an AR.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Well it was from the guys at the counter. Told me pellet rifles were fine, and I could bring the pellets and shooting would be covered via the membership fee.

Well pellets for airguns aren't the same thing as centerfire or rimfire ammunition. I thought you were using the term pellets to mean loaded ammunition. You never mentioned pellet rifles

Kazaam

Sep 24, 2021
    I went to this place 15 or so years ago, never went back. County sucks, but the experience in there was just as bad

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I, as a rule stay out of Wash DC. I never know if I have a spent casing, or boxes of live ammo I purchased and threw behind the seat, then forgot about.

So do I have to stay out of Mont county too ??
    I hope they have signs on every side street anouncing you are entering a "No Go Zone"

Montgomery County requires you to buy your ammo at Gilbert’s. Can’t let people drive around with a gun and ammo unless they are criminals.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I, as a rule stay out of Wash DC. I never know if I have a spent casing, or boxes of live ammo I purchased and threw behind the seat, then forgot about.

I hope they have signs on every side street anouncing you are entering a "No Go Zone"
    Have never heard this living in the county my whole life. I wouldn’t believe unless I read it. Can’t tell you how many thousands of rounds get driven to Damascus yearly for all the competitions and just general practice.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Have never heard this living in the county my whole life. I wouldn’t believe unless I read it. Can’t tell you how many thousands of rounds get driven to Damascus yearly for all the competitions and just general practice.

In theory, FOPA offers protection.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I did run into a problem in DC 35 years ago.
    Had they not been so hard on me and my car I probably would’ve went to jail. Days earlier I had emptied my house 45 mag into my console before I took the gun into the range. Forgot all about them and I had no idea it’d be a problem.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

There is no law against having ammo in your car in Moco.
    Having to buy ammo at Gilberts to shoot there was a requirement that Gilberts had to follow in order to get the county to agree to having the range built.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

Let's not forget about Poolesville.

Only hicks and republicans go to Damascus or Poolesville. Who cares if they shoot themselves up.

Yes, I lived in Damascus for 7 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom