• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    That drag thru the marsh is hell. This is a before the drag picture. Much better

Attachments

• B3A3F504-920A-4EAB-BEB0-1F2060A46834.jpeg
      B3A3F504-920A-4EAB-BEB0-1F2060A46834.jpeg
      112 KB · Views: 211

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I hope he comes back in for you soon. I realized where I have my stand positioned a lot of my shots are going to mean twisting to shoot to my right or shooting south paw. Fortunately my crossbow isn’t too bad south paw with the rifle rail on my stand. I’d feel pretty confident taking the shot the wrong way.

No good option to reposition my stand so that I am shooting mostly straight out or left and a lot of my shots are going to be 20yds or under.

I know, this place went from no deer to loaded in 20 minutes. I just couldn't move, but if it just been the hot doe and him I could have moved with both distracted. I did three Mhaa's trying to get him to stop, third one about yelling to no avail. The buggers all came in from behind me Saturday.

I only thought about left handed shooting after he was gone. I also do not think he is coming back. The doe ran across the ridge of the farm with him in tow and 10 minutes later in that direction on the neighboring farm I hear a shot. My loss is someone else's great day.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Out hunting this morning at a bedding area. Nothing around. Then two does show and chill, 20 minutes later 2 more does come in and start browsing. All are with in 25 yards. Then a hot doe comes in a drags an eight behind her. to my right and behind me. He is grunting and squats and pisses down his tarsals right next to me. BUT I can't turn or stand with all these does around. The hot doe starts to move, he starts to move. I shoulder the gun, I'm going to kill him when they come around the front of me. She rips off into the thick and so does he. Damn!!

He was standing right there. I guess I need to work on my left handed twisting around the tree shot now

Ha! Exhilarating and agonizing at the same time I’m sure.

Out all morning today and didn’t see a single deer. Inside warming up and stuffing my face and headed back out in a few.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Anyone go out today?

20mph wind gusts blowing my scent directly in my shooting tract. Didn’t see a damn thing. Was gonna go out tonight but promised kids we could do the tree and stuff. Tomorrow wind gusts only supposed to be 10mph so let’s hope for me the direction changes.

Only heard two shots this morning so hope that was one of you MDS guys in Damascus plugging one at 8 on the nose and around 9am. I crawled out at 10 frustrated.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Disclaimer: I am not a deer hunter, but I am interested. Story time:

A buddy of mine who is a hunter (mostly bow/crossbow) called me the other day because he knows I'm a gun guy, and he'd been invited on a deer hunting trip. He wanted to know some ins and outs about shotguns/slugs for hunting because he thought it was supposed to be a shotgun/slug trip, and not a bow trip. He had a Mossberg 500 package he'd picked up years ago but had yet to use it - it was literally still in the box.

I got him hooked up with which barrel was the slug barrel, getting the scope mounted, some general advice on slugs, (disclaimer: things I've read - I have ZERO firsthand experience, which I let him know) etc. Turns out everyone else was using a rifle, only he doesn't have one, so I loaned him one of mine - my Dad's Mauser 98 sporter in 25-06, which is a Cadillac of a setup, even if it is old. Just for grins, this is the basic gist:

Rifle: Gewehr 98 Mauser, sportered with either a Shilen or Douglas barrel in 25-06 and a Timney trigger that breaks super clean at around 3-4 lbs. (I always thought Dad told me it was Dillon barrel, but I might have gotten confused - it's either a Douglas, for the "D" or a Shilen for a "illon")
    Scope: Redfield 3x9x40 - fine crosshair reticle
    Ammo: Dad's reloads - 117 gr Sierra BT over 55.0 gr H4831, loaded on 10/4/1995 (Dad never loaded past manual specs, but my current Lyman manual shows a max of 53.5 gr for that weight of bullet - I'm guessing this might be CYA on the part of the manual publishers)

Interesting to note - I asked my Mom if she remembered when Dad built that rifle. According to her it was finished around 1965/66, so it's possible that the scope on that rifle was zeroed before I was born, but I digress.

He ended up getting a small buck on Saturday - according to him, that rifle hit right where he aimed at about 75 yards, the deer jumped, kicked, ran about 10-12 feet, and piled up - full penetration with exit, and a wound channel that looked like a long, thin funnel. Again, I'm no hunter, but from what I've read, it seems that's just about textbook for how it should have performed.

I've always been interested in hunting deer, but I have no interest in archery, shotguns or muzzle loaders. Unfortunately, most of Maryland doesn't allow for bottleneck cartridge rifle for deer, so I'd have to travel to do it. Or wait until I soft-retire and move to a less populated area in another state.

I was pretty stoked for my friend. On one hand, I would have liked to have taken a deer with that gun first. On the other hand, I think my Dad would have been pleased about it. There were 52 rounds in that - 50 in the box itself, and two laying loose between the other rounds. My buddy fired 4 rounds - 3 rounds to see if it was sighted in a grouped for him (quarter sized group at 100 yards - off by less than an inch, low and left - he didn't touch the scope) and the single round that killed his deer. Suffice it to say, with 48 rounds left, it's going to take me a while to use them up.

Anyway, that's a Bambi-whacking story, even if it isn't fully my story.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Haven't see a one that required trigger pulling yet! Seen a pile of them though. Lots of antlered deer too and some does. One sika hind that identified as a WT or something Idk should have shot it I guess.

I was however lucky enough to have someone out who killed a decent buck Saturday night, may have been 7 or 8 points. Kid was happy as shit.

And another guy next door killed a good one, I don't know what they said it may measure out to but I wouldn't have been sizing it up too much if I had seen it come through!
    He's happy as a clam- no doubt.
    I'm going to go tomorrow morning I think. It'll be that long till my legs get going again.
    If theirs a report of seismic activity, its probably where I fell out of the stand or something tomorrow morning.

TBO1copy.jpg

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Haven't see a one that required trigger pulling yet! Seen a pile of them though. Lots of antlered deer too and some does. One sika hind that identified as a WT or something Idk should have shot it I guess.

I was however lucky enough to have someone out who killed a decent buck Saturday night, may have been 7 or 8 points. Kid was happy as shit.

And another guy next door killed a good one, I don't know what they said it may measure out to but I wouldn't have been sizing it up too much if I had seen it come through!
    I'm going to go tomorrow morning I think. It'll be that long till my legs get going again.
    If theirs a report of seismic activity, its probably where I fell out of the stand or something tomorrow morning.

Good god, that is an absolute beast! Would that the mountain deer around here got that big!

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore

View attachment 328253

Wow! That is nice!!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Heads up if you use M&G they are full again.

Good to know, thanks. No deer in my trunk, but I’ll call them if I drop one this week before just going by. I think they usually process deer Friday and Saturday. So I am guessing they won’t have freezer space till next week. At least I can process it myself.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Anyone go out today?

20mph wind gusts blowing my scent directly in my shooting tract. Didn’t see a damn thing. Was gonna go out tonight but promised kids we could do the tree and stuff. Tomorrow wind gusts only supposed to be 10mph so let’s hope for me the direction changes.

Only heard two shots this morning so hope that was one of you MDS guys in Damascus plugging one at 8 on the nose and around 9am. I crawled out at 10 frustrated.

I went out till 8:30 and then had to pack it in for work. Didn’t see a thing other than birds and squirrels. I did see a big group of does that looked like they came up the hill by my stand about 10 minutes past dusk today when I was going to grab a snack between emails. Not looking for one of them right now. Just want that big buck I’ve been seeing for weeks! Of course not a sight of him in a few days.

Give it till late December/early January and one of those does just might have their luck run out if that big boy doesn’t show up again (or some other big buck).

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Fellow hunters- what is the best meat grinder for the money currently on the market. I was looking on cabelas and Amazon. They seem to range from $70-$1000. I probably grind 6 to 8 deer per year (after cutting off steaks and backstraps). My old one is one my grandfather built by adding a pulley, belt and 3/4 hp motor to an old hand grinder. It’s time to upgrade.

What are you guys using?

Searched this and the threads were old, didn’t figure it was worth starting another thread, since most of the deer hunters are here.

Thanks in advance.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Fellow hunters- what is the best meat grinder for the money currently on the market. I was looking on cabelas and Amazon. They seem to range from $70-$1000. I probably grind 6 to 8 deer per year (after cutting off steaks and backstraps). My old one is one my grandfather built by adding a pulley, belt and 3/4 hp motor to an old hand grinder. It’s time to upgrade.

What are you guys using?

Searched this and the threads were old, didn’t figure it was worth starting another thread, since most of the deer hunters are here.

Thanks in advance.

Hobart

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD

What are you guys using?

Thanks in advance.

My wife has a Kitchen Aid Mixer I bought the meat grinder for it for 80 bucks. It works great and it has a sausage stuffer too. I bought her the Pro model a few years ago as she bakes a lot. The best thing I use it for making burger meat and sausage.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

That’s what I’ve heard recommended for top end. I got an Altra. Good reviews. It’s worked well for the one deer and couple of chickens I’ve put through it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07YB6R18M/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve used some Commercial ones when working food prep at a university for a couple of years. That’s about the limit of my experience. I doubt the Altra would hold up to 6-8 deer a season for all that many years. Maybe, but I doubt it. And a bigger, more powerful and nicer one would be worth the money for sure. Butttt, it does work well. Even without the caveat of “for the price”. All metal gearing. Grinds well without getting bogged down. Even with frozen meat. I doubt it would handle sitting down and grinding 50lbs at once well. Not without letting the motor cool a bit in there. But I ground about 25lbs of venison over maybe an hour with a couple of breaks sprinkled in there to go get another tray of meat bits I’d thrown in to the freezer to get a better grind consistency.

But I just needed something that could do a deer occasionally. Like maybe one every year or two. I take most of them to M&G.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My wife has a Kitchen Aid Mixer I bought the meat grinder for it for 80 bucks. It works great and it has a sausage stuffer too. I bought her the Pro model a few years ago as she bakes a lot. The best thing I use it for making burger meat and sausage.

Yep. We’ve had good luck with ours. Gotta do sausage sometime.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Hobart also
    That buck is awesome
    I haven’t lifted my bow off the tree hanger in three years for a buck. Passing on many bucks but all too young.
    Good luck to all

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom