MOCO,Can we pop off bb guns in the backyard?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Izaak Walton League, Rockville Chapter, permits pellet guns on our pistol range on Sunday mornings and we have indoor bb gun shooting for youth during the week. You will need eye protection. Are you a member?

mcmilbra

Feb 23, 2021
    Used to do it at my home in Baltimore county but my neighbor decided to go crazy and call the cops about it. And when the cops said it was okay he went to there chief and filed a report on them comeing out to my home and saying it was okay.

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    Yes you can shoot a BB gun in your backyard. The Mont Co Code is .25 caliber and above rifle and .22 and above rim fire. A NO GO. The BB gun and .177 pellet is ok but you must have a 25 feet of backer space. Start using for shooting non threatening animals or any birds and you'll have a big problem.

Section 57 of annotated code.

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    Grew up in the Ag Reserve in MoCo in the late 80s-late 90s. Learned to shoot in our back yard. Shotgun, rifle, handgun, archery when grandma came to visit. No neighbors ever cared because they were all the same way as us. Doubt that it’s the same way there now other than a few generational farms. Too many libs have been buying property there

Built a house out here in the Ag Reserve. Shoot all the time in my backyard. Cops only called once and they said that I was perfectly legal since I'm in the Ag Reserve. Then they asked if they could try my Uzi. Never been bothered since in over 14 years.

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    You are correct....we looked at a home in Bealesville and the family living in the home behind the home, was target shooting with a 9mm pistol. Seller said he target shoots in the other direction all the time, everyone does!

Police don't care out here. Oh well.

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    Just get one of the quiet pellet guns or add a silencer to one. Totally legal for air guns. When I lived in Bodymore I shot starlings all the time in my backyard and no one was any wiser. Equally fun was when I bought my first compound bow. It was 35 yards to the back fence. I got so I could hit a starling easier with a bow offhand than with the pellet gun.

ESP

Nov 21, 2012
    Maryland
    My .02 worth

The .25 caliber or lower applies to areas outside of Montgomery County's Urban Area (This includes the AG preserve). If you are in the Urban zone, I don't recommend shooting unless you are inside (or very quiet). AN exception is if you have an approved Range (by the Firearm Safety Committee)

Montgomery Code Chapter 57 is useful. Here is a snippet for outside of the Urban areas:

• Chapter 57-5 Discharge of guns outside of the Urban areas
    Latest version.
    • (a) Prohibition. Except as provided in subsection (c)(1) through (c)(6), outside the urban area, a person, other than a peace officer or employee of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources performing official duties, must not:
    (1) discharge a gun:
    (A) onto, across, or within 50 yards of a public road;
    (B) onto or across property located within 50 yards of a public road;
    (C) into or within the safety zone (150 yards of a building or camp designed for human occupancy) without the owner or occupant's written consent; or
    (C) from, onto, or across public or private property without the owner or occupant's written consent;
    (2) discharge a full metal jacketed bullet of any caliber from a gun; or
    (3) except as provided in subsection (b), discharge any fixed ammunition of a caliber higher than .25 caliber from a rifle or pistol.
    (b) Exception - High Caliber Ammunition. A person may discharge fixed ammunition of a caliber higher than .25 from a rifle or pistol at:
    (A) legal game or varmints on the ground; or
    (B) a target on or near the ground that will not deflect a bullet.
    (c) Other Exceptions. Except as provided in Sections 57-7 and 57-11, a person may discharge a gun:
    (1) on any indoor or outdoor target, trap, skeet, or shooting range that the Firearm Safety Committee has inspected and approved in writing;
    (2) in a private basement or cellar target range;

I am not a lawyer. I have no idea what case laws may affect the above. I don't know how to get in touch with said "Firearm Safety Committee" (although I would like to just to get the specs to build an approved range).

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    If anyone wants a pellet trap I have an old one to give away. It’s about 8” across.

Attachments

• 0D9EC27B-9436-44AA-938F-F2A8B89F5072.jpeg
      0D9EC27B-9436-44AA-938F-F2A8B89F5072.jpeg
      37.2 KB · Views: 308

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    So, what can you use to protect yourself from animals in MoCo?

I had a situation today when I saw a large dog enter my backyard. One side of my yard is getting new fence panels so it entered on that side. I was curious so I got up from the sofa and watched it. It was sniffing around and then entered into my flowerbeds. Within a second, it was in that crapping pose, trying to squeeze out a turtlehead. I quickly opened my back sliding door to startle it, hoping to prevent that steaming log from landing on my property. The dog stopped, growled, and did that fake flinch towards my direction. Of course, since I did not know that dog, I went back in behind the sliding door. But it got me thinking about how I could have protected myself. I would have loved to use a wrist rocket or bb gun on it when it was in that pose.

Well, for those of you who are wondering, the dog got annoyed and entered into another yard to finish his business.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    So, what can you use to protect yourself from animals in MoCo?

I had a situation today when I saw a large dog enter my backyard. One side of my yard is getting new fence panels so it entered on that side. I was curious so I got up from the sofa and watched it. It was sniffing around and then entered into my flowerbeds. Within a second, it was in that crapping pose, trying to squeeze out a turtlehead. I quickly opened my back sliding door to startle it, hoping to prevent that steaming log from landing on my property. The dog stopped, growled, and did that fake flinch towards my direction. Of course, since I did not know that dog, I went back in behind the sliding door. But it got me thinking about how I could have protected myself. I would have loved to use a wrist rocket or bb gun on it when it was in that pose.

Well, for those of you who are wondering, the dog got annoyed and entered into another yard to finish his business.
    Be guns are somewhat cruel and ineffective for dealing with dogs. It's a much better idea to just have some quality pepper spray for them. Even a long stick of some kind would be better for a random neighborhood dog.

M1842

Jul 27, 2009
    Air horns work to startle dogs and make them leave. I keep a couple small air horns around all the time. And when taking my little dogs for a walk, I carry an air horn.

Marc32

Sep 1, 2013
    MoCo
    Probably the best bet is to be friends with your neighbors. I've always found out when your not on a friendly base with them, is when all the trouble starts to occur.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome Marc 32 !

Congradulatons on First Post . Stick around , join in ,don't wait 8 years for the next one .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom