• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Well as most of you know to hunt deer I use my DPMS .308 and my S&W .300blk. Current legislation has me a bit on edge... I'm thinking about saving some funds and buying a bolt gun for deer just in case things really go bad and my ARs decide to take a swim in the bay or grow feet and move to WV.

I'm pretty much set on either .270 or .308.

I've always like Rem 700s, but Savage and T/C really seem nice too. My old faithful is a Ruger M77 .243, but that's the backup. Its a great gun, I just hate the bolt.

What do you guys think? I want something that will shoot MOD (minute of deer) at 200, but MOA is always better.

mrb2217

Jan 3, 2013
    The Isle of Kent, QA, MD
    I bought my Savage .243 ten years ago for when I go hunting with my family in PA. Unbelievably accurate and fun to shoot. Glad I took a chance on it when I bought it since I never heard of Savage at the time but the gun store owner and my Uncle said I wouldn't be disappointed. They were completely right.

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    That's my Savage 116 in my avatar, very accurate gun, for a very reasonable price.
    I've heard the new 111's with the Accutrigger are awesome, but I've never fired one. :thumbsup:

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    Winchester Model 70. Pre-64 or Controlled Feed "Classic." 30-'06

Wouldn't be caught dead with anything else.

Rednekrebel

Apr 9, 2007
    Edgemere
    I love my browning a bolt. Fairly accurate. Was about 1moa at 100 with it. And held a 5" group at 300. You've seen it. But like some have said. I like savage. Those 17's of ours are so nice with the accu trigger.

308 or 270. Hmmmm. You have a lot of 308 rounds. Which is a plus for getting a 308. But I like the ballistics and everything of my 270. Little bit harder hitting for those tough Sika deer if I ever see one. :sad20:

Other good thing about 308 is the 30 cal round. Lots more bullets combos that can take fox to moose. So. Tough decision.

SevernBob

It's All Boogered Up
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 17, 2012
    Severn
    Watching this thread. Looking for the same for my next rifle. Bolt, 308. The 30-30 lever is decent for up-close brush action, but need an accurate longer range hunter.

Holland & Holland Double Rifle in 700 nitro

Ha! There might be two burgers and a rib left.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Take the 30 cal over the 270 because of combo's and availability. Want a 270..... get a 30-06, it's parent case AND it will take bullets almost twice as heavy. No brainer in my way of thinking. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom