• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Ok... I think its time that I build one.

I want something in the 18-20" range...alexander arms complete uppers look nice but in the $1k+ range.

I NEED something that shoots well, I chase small holes on paper and willing to spend the extra $ to make sure I'm happy.

Suggestions on manufacturers? I looked at precision firearms in WV, he has good stuff but always way over priced IMO.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Although an 18" barrel is probably sufficient, might as well go with a 20" barrel to get that extra velocity in the event you actually get to shoot at 1,000 yards. I went with an 18 and regretted it. For one data point, I got an Odin Works barrel and the accuracy is very good.

If you want the utmost in accuracy, you can spend even more money on the barrel and take the SOTAR build class where you hand lap the receiver, bed the barrel, and polish the feed ramps.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    Yes I have heard a lot good things about Odin Works barrels. Wilson and Black Hole Weaponry. I personally have 2 BHW polygonal barrels a 20” and a 24”. As noted PSA’s shoot well to. Could not go wrong with any of the above 1-8 twist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    If you jump over to the 6.5 grendel forum, they usually have group buys on barrels and sometime other upper parts.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you want something that will reliably shoot accurately, buy a good barrel. Relying on a PSA or BCA to give you good results is a lottery at best. Criterion makes 6.5 Grendel barrels, and that's where I'd start. BHW is also known to make some good ones.

One other possibility is to buy a Howa or Ruger American bolt gun. The Ruger American has a 22" barrel, it should give you enough velocity to where you need. Also shoots Wolf fairly well in my experience.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    I have heard good things about Grendel Hunter. I purchased an upper a while ago with a sale but I have not shot it yet.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    One other possibility is to buy a Howa or Ruger American bolt gun. The Ruger American has a 22" barrel, it should give you enough velocity to where you need. Also shoots Wolf fairly well in my experience.

This. My Howa mini action 6.5 Grendel is a great rifle, in the LSS light chassis it's very handy, I wouldn't mind hiking with it if needed, so it's not just a benchrest toy. Mini actions are perfect - why use an action designed for 308 on a round much shorter? Get a shorter action to match if you're committed to the caliber!

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    My understanding is that the cheap wolf ammo shoots best from true 6.5 grendel spec barrels and bolts vs .264lbc + 7.62x39 bolt dimensions.

The barrel lengths that interest me in 6.5 grendel are 12.5”, 18”, and 22”. For 22” I’d definitely do a mini length bolt action though. Try to keep the weight down. 12.5” and 18” semi auto.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I"ve been looking for 24" 5R barrel.

Bear Creek
    Brownell (copy of

(Not sure what happened with this post - will further expand it when main computer charges)

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    I ended up going with Larue's Ultimate Upper since I wanted the AR platform plus they offered "free" assembly. My intended use is hunting and I wanted it fairly quickly so I could make sure I got it sighted in and all. It comes with everything you need for a build except the stripped lower. I'm in the midst of a 5.56 AR build and really wasn't sure I'd get the Grendel done in time. I will say that these do have some proprietary parts notably the upper and handguard plus the longest barrel you can get for Grendel is 18" if that matters to you. Hoping to get it to the range this week or next.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Although an 18" barrel is probably sufficient, might as well go with a 20" barrel to get that extra velocity in the event you actually get to shoot at 1,000 yards. I went with an 18 and regretted it. For one data point, I got an Odin Works barrel and the accuracy is very good.

If you want the utmost in accuracy, you can spend even more money on the barrel and take the SOTAR build class where you hand lap the receiver, bed the barrel, and polish the feed ramps.

I’d go 20”. Unless you want it for something like hunting. Don’t go my route. I don’t recommend it. It might be great, might be terrible. I’ve got $600 between both uppers including the scope on my 18”.

I’ve got an 18” and a 24”. One (18”) is a Classic Firearms barrel and one a Bear Creek Arms barrel (24”). From what I am aware BCA makes CF’s barrels.

The 18” shoots a little under 1 MOA with federal Fusion and right at 1MOA with Hornady anything. >6MOA with Wolf steel.

The 24” shoots a bit under 2.5MOA with Wolf steel. 1MOA with the couple of other loads I’ve tried. That’s 5 shot groups. Not tossing out anything. If I tossed the worst both group significantly under 1MOA.

Both are fluted HBARs. The 18” I use as a deer rifle. The 24” will be a long range gun eventually. I built it because I had the spare parts laying around and BCA had a 24” barrel on sale for less than $70 and I went “what’s the worst that could happen?”

I consider it as much luck as anything (BCA’s 16” .223 Wylde barrel I have groups 2.3 MOA with Hornady black and basically 4 or so MOA with pretty much anything else).

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    OP,
    Take a look at Satern barrels. I built a 6.5 Grendel with a 24" heavy Satern barrel and it delivers very small holes on paper. If I were to do it again, I would have gone with a shorter barrel to make the rifle easier to hunt with but would absolutely put a Satern barrel on it!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    OP,
    Take a look at Satern barrels. I built a 6.5 Grendel with a 24" heavy Satern barrel and it delivers very small holes on paper. If I were to do it again, I would have gone with a shorter barrel to make the rifle easier to hunt with but would absolutely put a Satern barrel on it!

Yeah my flutted HBAR 18" with scope (its a GWACs lower and I've got some other lightweight parts on and in it) tips the scales at 7lbs 14oz right now with sling. Probably another couple of ounces I can shave in there somewhere (like the gas block and muzzle device).

It is very sweet to hunt with. I can't picture using my 24". Its only like a pound heavier when combined with the lower my 18" is on, but its still so long and front heavy.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    Ok... I think its time that I build one.

I want something in the 18-20" range...alexander arms complete uppers look nice but in the $1k+ range.

I NEED something that shoots well, I chase small holes on paper and willing to spend the extra $ to make sure I'm happy.

Suggestions on manufacturers? I looked at precision firearms in WV, he has good stuff but always way over priced IMO.
    I have a Criterion barrel from PF, got when he had a sale and included the bolt at the time. If you are chasing small holes his barrels are the way to go. My friend has one of his Krieger cut rifle barrels in 6.5G if you want overpriced and tiny holes.
    Lilja also has some nice Grendel barrels.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have a Criterion barrel from PF, got when he had a sale and included the bolt at the time. If you are chasing small holes his barrels are the way to go. My friend has one of his Krieger cut rifle barrels in 6.5G if you want overpriced and tiny holes.
    Lilja also has some nice Grendel barrels.

I've usually been a bartlein guy for bolt guns. I have a Kreiger on my RPR and now a Lija on a 6BR. I'd like to stick to those types of barrels but he is unrealistically high/ proud lol

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Thanks for the info, decided to go with 6mm ARC after looking hard at the ballistics. Makes sense to me as I shoot a 6mmBR and 6x47L both using 107 SMK. I can share bullets, varget(use this for 6BR), likely pilot for annealer and already have the 21st century neck turning lathe for 30 degree shoulder in the 6mm driver.

Going with 20" bartlien 1:7.5 twist barrel. Hopefully RCBS or forster come out with a full length bushing die. On to searching for 100 rounds factory ammo, hornady brass and dies.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    I got an Odin 18" intermediate barrel with BCG on sale from Primary Arms years ago. Beautiful fit and finish, although I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet :(

wGAUKgk.jpg

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Thanks for the info, decided to go with 6mm ARC after looking hard at the ballistics. Makes sense to me as I shoot a 6mmBR and 6x47L both using 107 SMK. I can share bullets, varget(use this for 6BR), likely pilot for annealer and already have the 21st century neck turning lathe for 30 degree shoulder in the 6mm driver.

Going with 20" bartlien 1:7.5 twist barrel. Hopefully RCBS or forster come out with a full length bushing die. On to searching for 100 rounds factory ammo, hornady brass and dies.

How did this turn out?

With the latest issue of American Rifleman, the 6mm ARC has come on my radar.

Just built 6.5mm Grendel, so I am quite interested in the ARC's advantages.

Oh, the curse. Yet another upper build, stockpiled ammo, dies/powder/bullet quest... does it ever end? And now I'll have to machine a new lower, too.

May go with 24" barrel, although the ARC was initially designed for 18"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom