• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So taking the plunge on another gun. Its been more than 6 months and that just seems too long.

Picked up a Howa Mini Action/Legacy Arms 20" heavy barrel in 6.5 grendel. Reviews and suggestions I read, very much the way to go over a Ruger American at similar prices. Cz527 was a possible option, but the 16.1" seems to be the only threaded one and I didn't want it that short (18-20" is what I wanted) (I've got an Omega 300 can waiting in ATF jail).

I've got some family obligations and can't get out for a couple of weeks until after Thanksgiving to do the transfer (well, hasn't shown up at my FFL yet even, but I got the shipping notice).

Anyway, hadn't read it prior to ordering, but ran across a number of threads that the mini action 6.5g/7.62x39 magazines are crap and most are terrible. Weak spring issues, bad design seem to be the consensus. Might be able to use a cut down M1 carbine spring to get it running right. Not everyone has issues.

Also found a couple companies make bottom metal with internal magazines (turns it in to a 4+1, must use 2 piece bases to load).

Anyone have a mini action? Preferably in 6.5 or 7.62x39 who have any experience? Either with of the aftermarket integral magazine bottom metal? Or good/bag magazines?

I ordered one spare mag with the rifle and not everyone seems to have issues with them. Leaning towards getting the bottom metal at some point even if both magazines run well as the pictures I see, looks darned sexy with the flush bottom metal. 4+1 is plenty for bench shooting and deer hunting. Going to get the rifle in hand first and test it out some before deciding anything, just trying to get some MDS intelligencia feedback.

Thanks!

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Have you checked out the 6.5 grendel forum? Lots of good info there which may address the magazine issues. I built one on a savage short action prior to howa and CZ manufacturing the grendel. I love the round and it’s such a soft shooter for younger folks.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    I have this same exact barreled action in an LSS stock. Also have the 7.62x39 which uses the identical magazine. The grendel is fantastically accurate for something so light, love the mini receiver.

Never had a problem. But, the plastic Legacy spots mags really do appear crappy...

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    So taking the plunge on another gun. Its been more than 6 months and that just seems too long.

Picked up a Howa Mini Action/Legacy Arms 20" heavy barrel in 6.5 grendel. Reviews and suggestions I read, very much the way to go over a Ruger American at similar prices. Cz527 was a possible option, but the 16.1" seems to be the only threaded one and I didn't want it that short (18-20" is what I wanted) (I've got an Omega 300 can waiting in ATF jail).

I've got some family obligations and can't get out for a couple of weeks until after Thanksgiving to do the transfer (well, hasn't shown up at my FFL yet even, but I got the shipping notice).

Anyway, hadn't read it prior to ordering, but ran across a number of threads that the mini action 6.5g/7.62x39 magazines are crap and most are terrible. Weak spring issues, bad design seem to be the consensus. Might be able to use a cut down M1 carbine spring to get it running right. Not everyone has issues.

Also found a couple companies make bottom metal with internal magazines (turns it in to a 4+1, must use 2 piece bases to load).

Anyone have a mini action? Preferably in 6.5 or 7.62x39 who have any experience? Either with of the aftermarket integral magazine bottom metal? Or good/bag magazines?

I ordered one spare mag with the rifle and not everyone seems to have issues with them. Leaning towards getting the bottom metal at some point even if both magazines run well as the pictures I see, looks darned sexy with the flush bottom metal. 4+1 is plenty for bench shooting and deer hunting. Going to get the rifle in hand first and test it out some before deciding anything, just trying to get some MDS intelligencia feedback.

Thanks!
    I have several Howa rifles, no mini-actions though but I have the same issues with the detachable mags from Howa, very week springs. Sometimes my 6.5 CM won’t strip a round off the mag when running the bolt, on the upside though the mags are pleasantly easy to load :rolleyes:. Each of my 3 Howas are detachable box mag fed, but they also shipped with the standard bottom metal/internal box mag as if new in the box, so you can easily swap it back out if you wanted. I just may do that with my HS Precision version 7mm Mag for hunting only purposes.

None of these are ‘trust my life to the rifle’ so it is just an annoyance. Several times in long range shoots I pulled a “click” rather than a “bang”, which is only a little embarrassing but not day ruining. Unfortunately Howa mags are proprietary and nothing else fits their rifles that I’m aware of, though I was of the understanding that AICS pattern mags are supposed to work (???).

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Unfortunately Howa mags are proprietary and nothing else fits their rifles that I’m aware of, though I was of the understanding that AICS pattern mags are supposed to work (???).
    I don't have any AICS pattern mags, but would _love_ if someone could confirm this...

What would be the AICS mag that fits mini action? Is there a version of AICS for 6.5G or 7.62x39 M43?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks guys. I found a couple of companies make bottom metal for the mini action with internal magazines. You get 5+1 for the .223 or 4+1 for the 6.5 or x39. Seems probably like the way to go for me down the road.

This is going to be a deer rifle and range gun. The former would be real nice if it worked properly, though likely never need to strip more than the first round or two off the magazine. The later, not a huge deal.

Yes to the soft shooting and youth. That’s the other reason I am getting it. My kids are getting older and are interested in hunting. Oldest is 12 and possibly next year or the year after will be his first deer hunting (this year was too crazy). Figure 6.5 Grendel should be perfect for him. He can handle my M1 carbine fine, but honestly he isn’t strong enough to shoot something like my Sako .308 off hand. Needs more practice.

Anyway, his choices in deer rifles/calibers I own would be my Sako in .308 or my AR-10 in the same, my M1 Garand, SKS or my AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel. I’d hand him the later, but my wife doesn’t like guns and really doesn’t like that I own “evil black rifles”. Sure as hell isnt going to be fine with me giving him an AR to hunt with. Not sure he’d have the competence with irons by then to use the SKS (he shoots the M1 carbine with irons fine, but like minute of deer vitals at 30-40yds 10 for 10. At 50 it’s more like 8 for 10. That’s from a bench....the limited off hand shooting he has done it’s maybe more like 2 or 3 in 5 at 50.

So the Howa is as much for him as for me. Also I’ve heard very favorable things about 6.5 Grendel suppressed also and I’ve got a can in jail right now so that I can finally suppress my rifles.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Update:

I'm 2/3 for new Howa 6.5G mags (loaded with M43). Failing one had a FTF on the 4-5 rd several times.

Would be awesome if a real company made these mags. $34 for this crap is nonsense.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    The Howa Mini's are great guns, not expensive but effective. All in I would prefer a Rem/Zastava mini action or CZ but barring that the Howa does just fine.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    It's nice, but I avoid wood stocks... Agree, 24" of barrel is a lot.

Need controlled feed in mini action length with variable length/contour barrels, and that's only Howa as far as I know.

Look forward to your report, aside from my love of a wood stock and excellent craftsmanship, I see those Howa actions on sale at Brownells all the time. Have almost pulled the trigger a few times. Just how many non C&R bolt guns do I really need!

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Look forward to your report, aside from my love of a wood stock and excellent craftsmanship, I see those Howa actions on sale at Brownells all the time. Have almost pulled the trigger a few times. Just how many non C&R bolt guns do I really need!
    I've had it for a while - it's the M43, not the Grendel, but the mags are the same.

Love it, mine's HBAR in an LSS chassis but pretty handy nonetheless. Blows any AK out of the water. I use RU ammo exclusively in it, no point in getting American M43, at that point might as well get quality 308...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

IMHO for me it is one in .308 (I have a Sako Forester, though it is from the early 80s). One in 6.5 grendel. One in .223/5.56.

Beyond that, maybe something heavier, like a 300 win mag, 7 rem mag, 338-06 or what not.

Otherwise, all my other bolt guns I want C&R (okay, my a 22lr newer gun).

Which sure isn't nothing, but isn't the SCADS of other guns I want :-)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It's nice, but I avoid wood stocks... Agree, 24" of barrel is a lot.

Need controlled feed in mini action length with variable length/contour barrels, and that's only Howa as far as I know.

That's the gun I looked at for a bit before deciding on the Howa. I really needed as shorter, threaded barrel as I plan to run a silencer on the end of it for hunting.

I already know my 23" Sako is going to be a pike with the silencer on the end of it, but I honestly doubt I'll use the Sako much for hunting in the future. The occasional one probably and I do plan to get it threaded (but not cut back).

But moving forward, my 18" 6.5 Grendel AR and the 20" Howa 6.5 Grendel are probably going to be my two go to deer rifles. My 23" Sako and 18" AR-10 in .308 will be "well, okay sure, I want to take them out" deer rifles. Which means probably every couple of years I'll take them out on a hunt.

A friend of mine was given a HOWA rifle in 243 from his father. It was purchased as a gift about 6 months prior to my friend receiving it. After shooting it and having a terrible time getting decent accuracy he took it to his local gunsmith and they discovered a crack in one of the lands. Howa would not honor the warranty. This gun had less than 50 rounds through it. It was pretty obvious the crack was a manufacturing defect. the cost of rebarreling was more than a new rifle.

Check it out completely before you shoot it if it's a new rifle.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    I love the idea of the Mini rifles. I've been wanting a 16" heavy barreled .223 and 7.62x39 for a LONG time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom