• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    The NPS will announce many seasonal jobs from now until March.

To add, the ANPR website https://www.anpr.org/ has good information about how to work toward a career with the NPS. The Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act gives the same hire preference as veteran's preference after 24 months (4-5 summer seasons) of temporary status work. https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/land-management-workforce-flexibility-act.htm. To qualify for this preferential hire, one needs to upload all of their SF-50s reflecting the 24 months to USAjobs and include it in the application packet.

Please inform anyone pursuing this path that seasonal work is unbenefitted and does not count towards retirement of federal employee status. People have gotten seriously hurt or dead doing the job with no financial safety net at all for their family. Its tragic. It only gives one time on their service computation date which allows for getting more leave earlier. Alternately, one can join the military and get veteran's preference or get any permanent job with any fed. agency for three years and apply to NPS jobs as a fed. employee with status.

Anyone pursuing a NPS LEO career typically has to go to a seasonal academy on their own time and dime, get hired as a seasonal then hopefully get hired as a permanent LEO. It fluctuates but typically the hire rate for seasonal academy graduates is about 50% and then those working seasonal jobs do not all get permanent jobs. As a seasonal LEO, one is taking the same risks as permanents with no benefits and less pay and there are no step pay increases within grade. Permanent NPS LEOs are usually sent to FLETC a few years into their career where they have to learn the same job they've been doing the whole time before. There is a wait list hovering around three years to get a seat in a FLETC class for the NPS. An employee is qued up on this wait list when they are hired to a perm. job. https://www.fletc.gov/land-management-police-training/land-management-police-training Almost all other Fed. LEO jobs with other agencies send a new hire to FLETC almost immediately when hired and that person has full benefits and is working and investing towards their retirement (TSP) the entire time including training.

Lastly, if one is considering a career they should soberly consider the remoteness of the job and how that will affect their family and life. There are smaller parks that one can start at or transfer to, mostly in the eastern states and historic parks, if the need arises to to live a more typical existence for family needs.

I'm not trying to dissuade but just want all people to be informed before pursuing what is in some aspects a dream career. They are beautiful places to work and its a great adventure.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    All valid info nedsurf. I wish I had known more about the process when I was getting out of the Coast Guard 20 years ago. It's absolutely a process you start young.

boatme99

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2010
    Mid-Tenn.
    I was Pre Forestry at UM, then Forestry at NAU in Flagstaff, AZ. I packed about 14 hours to graduate but by that time I'd started a family and a business so college fell by the wayside.
    I was fortunate enough to work as a volunteer park ranger at Sunset Crater/Wupatki Natl. Monuments for a year. I traipsed all over those 2 parks, got into places where the public would never go. Saw and found some amazing things!
    I also got to lead a couple of hikes to Crack in Rock in Wupatki. An 8 mile one way walk through the high desert to mesa with a Anasazi ruin on the top. The cool thing was I also got to drive out there once in a while on a forest service road that the hikers never knew about to check the area.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend taking seasonal jobs with the park service or forest service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom