• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lim144

Jan 3, 2014
    Are people really paying more than $150 for 1000 small rifle primers on this forum classifieds?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Lets just say some people are, but most if not all people here are not.

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    I won’t pay more than 150.00 it only adds 10cent to my overall match grade round lol. Keeps me shooting does it suck yes but when my loads 1.65 vs 2.85 ton3.85 new still saving

lim144

Jan 3, 2014
    Yeah. I'm just surprised. My friend said there was some primers listed for $150 and sold quick. I could buy a nice 300 prc rifle with selling off some of my primers, but then I couldn't replace it.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Wow... I sure won't. I've got some SRPs from earlier in the year, I wish I had bought more LRPs. I'm not going to freak out and over pay. Either prices are going to come down or I will just load out what I have and never shoot it recreationally again. I haven't really shot much other than 22 since this whole nonsense began. Heck, I've got a new Geissele Super Duty pistol upper that I haven't shot once yet...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I am not. I'm 'keeping my powder dry' until this situation changes. I have been getting by with a little help from my friends...

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Pawn shop that had cci 400s for 300/1000 is now selling at 380/1000. Same stock, just raised the price.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I am getting tempted to sell some of the LRP I bought earlier from a fellow MDS at the outrageous prices I am seeing. I could fund a new rifle build with the profit.
    I am also going down for back surgery and can’t shoot for a while so also thinking about letting some of my SPP go. Should I start a bidding war? (Just kidding).
    I just don’t like the concept of price gauging.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Wow... I sure won't. I've got some SRPs from earlier in the year, I wish I had bought more LRPs. I'm not going to freak out and over pay. Either prices are going to come down or I will just load out what I have and never shoot it recreationally again. I haven't really shot much other than 22 since this whole nonsense began. Heck, I've got a new Geissele Super Duty pistol upper that I haven't shot once yet...

I’ve mostly been too busy to get to the range much. Shortages aren’t keeping me from shooting as much as I can. That said, I have several years of ammo at prepandemic usage rates. Let alone what I have to reload with.

The worst that happens is I run low and I stop shooting something till I can get ammo.

But it’s not like I own only 9mm and 223 guns and when dry I can’t shoot any more. I’ve got guns in 32acp, 9x18, 9x19, 7.62x25, .45acp, 22lr, .223, .30 carbine, 6.5 Grendel, .308 and .30-06

It isn’t like I shooting tens of thousands of rounds a year. All calibers I am maybe shooting 2k a year prepandemic.

Unless this stretches for YEARS, it just means I make a dent in what I have. No point in trying to conserve the heck out of things until I start running low. Sure, I am down to a few hundred rounds of 9mm, I am going to shoot those guns sparingly.

Not as worried on the reloading supplies, it’ll suck if I run dry, but I am shooting almost all reloads right now (obviously not 22lr reloads). But that just means I switch to shooting commercial Ammo and again, I have a few years supply.

I’ll of course make sure to stock back up once availability and prices have returned much more to normal. I am I going to wait until (or if) 9mm is 20cpr again? Yeah no I’ll probably starting buying some when it’s 25-30cpr. But certainly not stocking up at that point.

Just kind of start trickle purchasing stuff here and there occasionally to keep up with my shooting. Sure, if prices return to just before the pandemic lows or close, I’ll probably jump on a case or two of 9mm and 223. Get a little better supplied for the next time this crap happens (which seems to be every few years). But I don’t find what I have wanting.

I fortunately got in to reloading last winter before this all started. So I wasn’t in a panic and managed to get some powder and primers to pad things over the last 9 months, but haven’t, for the most part, bought tons (IE not decades of supplies). I have bought a lot of bullets because I didn’t have a lot of those.

Same thing there, once things are pretty available and I can keep my costs low by combining hazmat on stuff I’ll probably pickup a case of every category of primer I use and try to make sure as I use stuff I pickup a box every once in awhile at a show to stay topped off. But other than maybe SPP just about all other types, a case is probably 5-10 years of reloading for me.

I honestly think half the problem are guys who reload a few thousand rounds a year decided supplies will never be available again and keep stocking up. So now they’ve got decades of stuff and keep stacking it at every chance they can get.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I was fortunate enough to find SPP, LPP, and LRP a while back.
    Paid $34/1000 for the SPP and $50/1000 for the others.

I won't pay the price gouging that's going on, from anyone.

A good friend has been trying to trade primers with me.
    He bought a bunch of small pistol (magnum) cci primers, and wants 'standard' SPP.

He's using this as his reasoning - "Well, you have some, and I don't. I don't need the magnum primers, and I do need the standard. C'mon, man."

I just laugh. I don't 'need' the magnum primers, either.

I do have enough 'stuff' to get me through this "SHTF" time.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

He bought a bunch of small pistol (magnum) cci primers, and wants 'standard' SPP.

He's using this as his reasoning - "Well, you have some, and I don't. I don't need the magnum primers, and I do need the standard. C'mon, man."

SPPM might be the only thing I don’t have much off. Looking to get a .357 revolver or lever gun this spring or summer and have zero commercial Ammo. I have appropriate powder and bullets (I forgot above, I so have 38spc that I shoot). I have cases from range pickups and a little while back I grabbed 500 cases for cheap from Capitol Armory when ordering some 308 cases.

But I don’t have a ton of small pistol magnum to load up stout H110 loads. Plenty to work up some loads and do a little shooting, but not a lot. Not a big deal, I am planning to mostly shoot 38spc out of whatever .357 I get (well, just as much load .357 light so I don’t get leading rings I need to clean, but no SPM primers needed there if loading, say 5gr of BE or whatever under a 158 in a .357 case (going off the top of my head for a light load in 357 based on 4.4gr in a 38spc being max).

I think I need magnum primers for 7.62x25 if I am loading with H110 and loading it hot IIRC. But can load it a little lighter and use BE or CFE Pistol.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015

Mag primers will work fine, maybe lighten the powder charge a hair.

lim144

Jan 3, 2014
    Mag primers will work fine, maybe lighten the powder charge a hair.

I chronographed a bunch of 10mm, and 45acp and about 20 fps difference at most. Rifle rounds tiny bit higher, but flattened the primer just about 50 fps faster than 6.5 CM 123 grain rounds with magnum primers. 2975 ish fps. Both rifle and pistol CCI.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I chronographed a bunch of 10mm, and 45acp and about 20 fps difference at most. Rifle rounds tiny bit higher, but flattened the primer just about 50 fps faster than 6.5 CM 123 grain rounds with magnum primers. 2975 ish fps. Both rifle and pistol CCI.

Yup. Magnum primers are going to be hotter and increase peak pressure both due to their own energy and igniting the powder faster. So counter intuitively you don’t want to use them for maximum velocity unless you need to use them to properly ignite the size or type of the charge you are using.

You can absolutely sub them in, but probably need to reduce powder charges a tenth or two in pistols and a few tenths in rifles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom