• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Battered Gun Owner Syndrome

The over analysis of and unnecessarily extreme caution applied to a situation involving firearm legalities because of the constant confusion sewn by politicians

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Battered Gun Owner Syndrome

The over analysis of and unnecessarily extreme caution applied to a situation involving firearm legalities because of the constant confusion sewn by politicians
    Straight out of Funk and Wagnalls

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    BGOS? I've been around the internet forums for a while, but this one is a new one on me - Big Girls on Skateboards?

You're probably right - there will, however, come a case at some point in the future where someone does something illegal with the sold rifle, or the new owner will become a prohibited person with firearms being confiscated, and then when the MSP runs the number, it's going to show in the original owner's name. Sadly I don't give the MSP enough credit to know the intricacies of the law to know how to handle it if/when that occurs.

Battered Gun Owner Syndrome.

MSP is NOT required to remove the firearm from your list when you sell it, it is a list of transfers, what don't people get about that? You bought it, or inherited it, therefore it was transferred to you, and listed as such. If you get rid of the firearm in state, it is transferred to the next person and MSP shows the transfer to them. Just because you got rid of it does not mean that the transfer to you disappears.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Battered Gun Owner Syndrome.

MSP is NOT required to remove the firearm from your list when you sell it, it is a list of transfers, what don't people get about that? You bought it, or inherited it, therefore it was transferred to you, and listed as such. If you get rid of the firearm in state, it is transferred to the next person and MSP shows the transfer to them. Just because you got rid of it does not mean that the transfer to you disappears.
    Not this guy. I buy guns, I keep guns - I don't sell them. I follow the laws as I know them but I certainly don't break them on purpose. Does that make me someone with BGOS? Not that I know of - especially when my intention is to leave this communist effed up state.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    BGOS? BGOS? I've been around the internet forums for a while, but this one is a new one on me - Big Girls on Skateboards?

Pick your poison.

cbde0eb31e34cff2717a90c35cf8d480.jpg

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    But how would Maryland know what you built it into? When it was transferred to you, that lower with that serial number was in effect back-door "registered" to you - Maryland assumes you have it. They don't know what you did with it. If it goes to someone else, does it not make sense that because that lower receiver was regulated and transferred as if it was a firearm, that it would have to be transferred to the buyer? The buyer has the right to do whatever they want to with it, not including stripping it back down and building it into a pistol.

Again, IANAL, but I can see how it might raise a question - the whole reason Maryland does the transfer is to back-door register so they know who has what.

Not this guy. I buy guns, I keep guns - I don't sell them. I follow the laws as I know them but I certainly don't break them on purpose. Does that make me someone with BGOS? Not that I know of - especially when my intention is to leave this communist effed up state.

Want to see BGOS? The first post of yours that I quoted. You're welcome, say five Hail Brownings and go forth and sin no more.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Want to see BGOS? The first post of yours that I quoted. You're welcome, say five Hail Brownings and go forth and sin no more.
    Me playing devil's advocate and me being a BGOS are entirely different things. Be real. The first rule of Fight Club is your do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is you DO NOT talk about Fight Club.

I didn't grow up in Maryland - I actually know what it's like to live in the USA.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    BGOS? I've been around the internet forums for a while, but this one is a new one on me - Big Girls on Skateboards?

You're probably right - there will, however, come a case at some point in the future where someone does something illegal with the sold rifle, or the new owner will become a prohibited person with firearms being confiscated, and then when the MSP runs the number, it's going to show in the original owner's name. Sadly I don't give the MSP enough credit to know the intricacies of the law to know how to handle it if/when that occurs.

If it bothers you that much, fill out a simple bull of sale with a buyer. No need to worry. Done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WarPig68

May 9, 2012
    Pasadena
    I want to clarify the process of selling an AR15. I built it from a stripped lower into a complete rifle. HBAR barrel with no copy cat features. Is it a cash and carry sale or does it need to be transferred through a FFL? Thanks for your assistance.

Steve

From what I understand, due to the fact that a stripped lower is a regulated firearm, one would have to do a transfer at an FFL. The lower being part of a 77R is registered to the original purchaser. Just because it’s built into a rifle doesn’t make it a cash and carry rifle in the situation described because it could be built into a pistol. The only AR15s that are classified as rifles in primary and secondary sales are those that came from the factory and put onto the dealer’s shelf as a complete rifle.

When it comes down to it, best bet is to contact a couple Shops, get there opinion or even ring up the Licensing Division at MSP.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    From what I understand, due to the fact that a stripped lower is a regulated firearm, one would have to do a transfer at an FFL.

You understand incorrectly, per ATF, once a stripped lower is built into a rifle, it is a rifle, period. Once it is built into a Maryland compliant Rifle the stripped lower ceases to be a regulated item.

The lower being part of a 77R is registered to the original purchaser. Just because it’s built into a rifle doesn’t make it a cash and carry rifle in the situation described because it could be built into a pistol.

Actually it does make it a rifle, since it can no longer be built into a pistol, therefore cash and carry.

The only AR15s that are classified as rifles in primary and secondary sales are those that came from the factory and put onto the dealer’s shelf as a complete rifle.

Provide the cite in state statute or federal law for this, I'll bet you a months wages you can't, because neither exist and your statement is completely incorrect.

When it comes down to it, best bet is to contact a couple Shops, get there opinion or even ring up the Licensing Division at MSP.

Licensing Division has already opined on this, rifle built to Maryland specs are cash and carry.

WarPig68

May 9, 2012
    Pasadena
    You understand incorrectly, per ATF, once a stripped lower is built into a rifle, it is a rifle, period. Once it is built into a Maryland compliant Rifle the stripped lower ceases to be a regulated item.

Actually it does make it a rifle, since it can no longer be built into a pistol, therefore cash and carry.

Provide the cite in state statute or federal law for this, I'll bet you a months wages you can't, because neither exist and your statement is completely incorrect.

Licensing Division has already opined on this, rifle built to Maryland specs are cash and carry.

I appreciate you clarifying. Obviously I had not known this before. Thanks for the help.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    From what I understand, due to the fact that a stripped lower is a regulated firearm, one would have to do a transfer at an FFL. The lower being part of a 77R is registered to the original purchaser. Just because it’s built into a rifle doesn’t make it a cash and carry rifle in the situation described because it could be built into a pistol. The only AR15s that are classified as rifles in primary and secondary sales are those that came from the factory and put onto the dealer’s shelf as a complete rifle.

No. It is cash and carry. Once it’s built into an HBAR rifle it can be sold cash and carry. It can’t legally be built into a pistol afterwords. The licensing division will give you a different answer every day of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom