• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    What are the laws on possession of powder? I was told that unless you have a permit from the fire marshal you may only have 5lbs or less.

I see people selling a lot more than that on here. Is it a good idea to inform people when they may be breaking the law unintentionally? I have tried but usually get no response.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    It’s 5 pounds per fire codes, or something along that line. I’m sure those that are selling more then the limit have areas out of state they are storing it, I know I personally have a hunting camp in West Virginia that my brother and I keep some at.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    One relevant MD law on the issue is Public Safety Article 11-105

(1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person need not obtain a license to possess or store up to 5 pounds of smokeless powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition, and up to 5 pounds of black powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition or for use in the loading of antique arms or replicas of antique arms, if the smokeless powder and black powder are stored in their original shipping containers and are possessed only for personal use in firearms.

(2) A person may not possess or store explosives for use in firearms in any quantity in multifamily dwellings, apartments, dormitories, hotels, schools, other public buildings, or buildings or structures open for public use.

The fire code also specifies limits, but they are larger than MD law.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I only keep 4-1/2 pounds out of respect for the Maryland General Assembly, and the laws they pass to keep me and my family safe.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Ahh, BUT, I believe, if you have it in single serving size, 9mm, .45acp, .556, ect, you can have as much as you want.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    One relevant MD law on the issue is Public Safety Article 11-105

(1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person need not obtain a license to possess or store up to 5 pounds of smokeless powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition, and up to 5 pounds of black powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition or for use in the loading of antique arms or replicas of antique arms, if the smokeless powder and black powder are stored in their original shipping containers and are possessed only for personal use in firearms.

(2) A person may not possess or store explosives for use in firearms in any quantity in multifamily dwellings, apartments, dormitories, hotels, schools, other public buildings, or buildings or structures open for public use.

The fire code also specifies limits, but they are larger than MD law.

So that's 5 lbs. smokeless AND 5 lbs black powder - I'm GOLDEN...

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    who in there right mind would tell the state of md that they have excess powder and need a permit ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom