• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County
    This is a great review. I got a chance to shoot a PDP right when they came out, and was heartbroken that I had to wait so long for them to be approved on the MD roster. When they were, I went out and got a 4" Compact model as quickly as I could. I sighted in a Holosun 507c Vulcan, and started punching holes. My only reaction is "wow".

Just as you said, the trigger is amazing. I would argue that it is the absolute best trigger on a striker-fired gun out of the box. The sights didn't bother me one bit, since I don't intend to use them, but I actually liked them. I am not very picky with any sights though (I like the stock Glock gen 5 sights too).

The grip texture is excellent. I wish I could get the same grip shape and texture on all my guns. It does rub when I CC, but that is a small price to pay. The slide terrain/contours is very easy to get a good hold of, and all of the mechanical pieces are buttery smooth.

The (lack of) magazine availability is my biggest and only gripe with the gun.

This gun replaced my Glock 19 as my carry gun of choice, and probably will for the near future.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    This is a great review. I got a chance to shoot a PDP right when they came out, and was heartbroken that I had to wait so long for them to be approved on the MD roster. When they were, I went out and got a 4" Compact model as quickly as I could. I sighted in a Holosun 507c Vulcan, and started punching holes. My only reaction is "wow".

Just as you said, the trigger is amazing. I would argue that it is the absolute best trigger on a striker-fired gun out of the box. The sights didn't bother me one bit, since I don't intend to use them, but I actually liked them. I am not very picky with any sights though (I like the stock Glock gen 5 sights too).

The grip texture is excellent. I wish I could get the same grip shape and texture on all my guns. It does rub when I CC, but that is a small price to pay. The slide terrain/contours is very easy to get a good hold of, and all of the mechanical pieces are buttery smooth.

The (lack of) magazine availability is my biggest and only gripe with the gun.

This gun replaced my Glock 19 as my carry gun of choice, and probably will for the near future.

Thanks. It wasn't easy to write an objective review about the PDP but I tried my best. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Standard capacity Walther mags are scarce and expensive for the full-size model PDP but since you got the compact (smart move) your gun will work with any standard PPQ, Canik TP9 magazine and probably a couple of others I can't remember right off the top of my head. You certainly have a lot more options than I have but the cheapy $19 PMags are working well for me.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I haven't bought a new handgun in a couple years, but this might break my dry spell since I'm having trouble sourcing a Wilson Combat Beretta 92.

I held one in my local shop the other day and loved it, other than it being too big. Waiting for them to get in the "compact" model.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I haven't bought a new handgun in a couple years, but this might break my dry spell since I'm having trouble sourcing a Wilson Combat Beretta 92.

I held one in my local shop the other day and loved it, other than it being too big. Waiting for them to get in the "compact" model.

The compact model isn't that much smaller. The BIG, BLOCKY (although grippy in an emergency) slide is what makes it the size of a gas nozzle.

The slide is what attracted me at first with delusions of me needing it because of all the blood from gunfights that I would get into.
    Then I woke up and realized that it's the shooter that makes the shot and not the pistol.

This pistol would be no more accurate than any other comparable pistol out there. Look at a VP9SK if you want a good, accurate "Kompact".

You shoot well enough that you don't need to search for "The most accurate pistol".

I just picked up my P320 Legion X Carry yesterday. I have chub status after 4 hours. Go to 2A and check one out while they still have a couple for 950 bucks. Join the P320 craze. Nothing but GREAT reviews.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    TcvPNlb.jpg

I was hoping not to like this as much as I do. Seriously. I was hoping I'd find reasons to not be impressed with it and be able to tell y'all that the Walther PDP wasn't all that great. Unfortunately, I cant. This is one of the best handguns I've ever owned. It's definitely one of the most accurate 9mm pistols I've ever owned, rivaling even the best CZ Custom Shadows in my safe. Bold claim, I know, but it's no BS, I swear.

This Walther PDP doesn't have any ammo preference. The only difference I can see is in POI relative to bullet weight. 124gr impacts about 1" lower than 115gr at the same distance of 10-15 yards. Cheap stuff? This gun loves it. Today I shot a half box of steel-cased Wolf, a half box of aluminum-cased Independence and a 100-round box of Blue Light Special WWB 115gr without any issues. I also shot 20 rounds of 124gr Speer Gold Dot and 20 rounds of Federal HST +P. Both were amazingly accurate in spite of the increase in recoil. The PDP is snappy with defense loads but, easily manageable with the full-size frame grip.

xXHWlHk.jpg

Switched-over to bowling pins with the P220 after 170 rounds of fun with the PDP. All it did was reinforce what I already knew: I need to practice a lot more than I've been practicing lately. Best relay time was 8+ seconds with no floppers. CCI Blazer Brass is decent practice ammo but, I sure wouldn't shoot it in a match. It shot noticeably softer than either the S&B or Geco I save for those occasions. I don't know. I just didn't like it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    CCI Blazer Brass is decent practice ammo but, I sure wouldn't shoot it in a match. It shot noticeably softer than either the S&B or Geco I save for those occasions. I don't know. I just didn't like it.

I shot some shit ass Blazer ammo yesterday. 50 cent piece size groups up to 15 yards, then went to 25. I should have taken a picture. There was no group. Rounds went all over. None in the center and spread, must have been 8-10 inches or more between them. Again, nowhere near center. It was amazing.
    Looked like I fired a 10 shot blunderbuss.

I'm sorry I bought as much of that crap that I did when hoarding.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I shot some shit ass Blazer ammo yesterday. 50 cent piece size groups up to 15 yards, then went to 25. I should have taken a picture. There was no group. Rounds went all over. None in the center and spread, must have been 8-10 inches or more between them. Again, nowhere near center. It was amazing.
    Looked like I fired a 10 shot blunderbuss.

I'm sorry I bought as much of that crap that I did when hoarding.

I've had slightly better luck with 9mm Blazer Brass than with the 45 ACP. I blew $50 on three boxes of it and I was glad that's all I could afford at the time.

Thanks. It wasn't easy to write an objective review about the PDP but I tried my best. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Standard capacity Walther mags are scarce and expensive for the full-size model PDP but since you got the compact (smart move) your gun will work with any standard PPQ, Canik TP9 magazine and probably a couple of others I can't remember right off the top of my head. You certainly have a lot more options than I have but the cheapy $19 PMags are working well for me.

Thanks for the review and the tip on the magazine compatibility. I'm like ArmyJoe -> PDP compact to replace G19. I'll still love my G19, but something about the PDP makes me lust for it. The way it looks, the way if feels in hand, the way if feels to rack the slide, the way it feels to aim, the way it feels to pull the trigger, and best of all, the reliable way it hits the targets.

I'm in search of a good holster. I haven't figured out if I want OWB or IWB for the PDP yet though.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Thanks for the review and the tip on the magazine compatibility. I'm like ArmyJoe -> PDP compact to replace G19. I'll still love my G19, but something about the PDP makes me lust for it. The way it looks, the way if feels in hand, the way if feels to rack the slide, the way it feels to aim, the way it feels to pull the trigger, and best of all, the reliable way it hits the targets.

I'm in search of a good holster. I haven't figured out if I want OWB or IWB for the PDP yet though.

You're most definitely welcome. I've had the PDP out a couple of times since my last post about it and all it does is continue to impress me. I'm thinking about getting a 4" Compact just because I like the Full Size so much.

pennyanfernee

Nov 2, 2020
    Any good holsters you guys can find with these or have experience with? Specifically one that can manage a light/laser on it.

Attachments

• 7A916961-3133-4DA3-A41F-7E965E5E51CB.jpg
      7A916961-3133-4DA3-A41F-7E965E5E51CB.jpg
      105.3 KB · Views: 135
    Last edited:

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    PDP Pro SD supposed to come out this month. shot a 320, hk vp9, and walther. i did best with pdp. i do really like the hk. trigger on 320 was very meh. but the fact that I will prob be able to get the pdp pro for way less than a plain jane vp9 makes it an easy choice. very eager to get one. congrats on your purchase.

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    TcvPNlb.jpg

I was hoping not to like this as much as I do. Seriously. I was hoping I'd find reasons to not be impressed with it and be able to tell y'all that the Walther PDP wasn't all that great. Unfortunately, I cant. This is one of the best handguns I've ever owned. It's definitely one of the most accurate 9mm pistols I've ever owned, rivaling even the best CZ Custom Shadows in my safe. Bold claim, I know, but it's no BS, I swear.

This Walther PDP doesn't have any ammo preference. The only difference I can see is in POI relative to bullet weight. 124gr impacts about 1" lower than 115gr at the same distance of 10-15 yards. Cheap stuff? This gun loves it. Today I shot a half box of steel-cased Wolf, a half box of aluminum-cased Independence and a 100-round box of Blue Light Special WWB 115gr without any issues. I also shot 20 rounds of 124gr Speer Gold Dot and 20 rounds of Federal HST +P. Both were amazingly accurate in spite of the increase in recoil. The PDP is snappy with defense loads but, easily manageable with the full-size frame grip.

xXHWlHk.jpg

Switched-over to bowling pins with the P220 after 170 rounds of fun with the PDP. All it did was reinforce what I already knew: I need to practice a lot more than I've been practicing lately. Best relay time was 8+ seconds with no floppers. CCI Blazer Brass is decent practice ammo but, I sure wouldn't shoot it in a match. It shot noticeably softer than either the S&B or Geco I save for those occasions. I don't know. I just didn't like it.

What range are you frequenting that has that array of steel to shoot? Is this public or private?

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    PDP Pro SD supposed to come out this month. shot a 320, hk vp9, and walther. i did best with pdp. i do really like the hk. trigger on 320 was very meh. but the fact that I will prob be able to get the pdp pro for way less than a plain jane vp9 makes it an easy choice. very eager to get one. congrats on your purchase.

Anyone know if this will require a separate roster submission?

The Pro SD is the one I want because I plan on putting a can on it when my can gets out of jail.

tjiann

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2022
    AACo
    Ordered a PDP full size with 4.5" barrel through Tyler's a few weeks back and picked it up last week. Had been shooting a Sig 365XL. Wanted a full size. Took it up to AGC to shoot this morning. Really like this gun. The trigger and grip are awesome.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Ordered a PDP full size with 4.5" barrel through Tyler's a few weeks back and picked it up last week. Had been shooting a Sig 365XL. Wanted a full size. Took it up to AGC to shoot this morning. Really like this gun. The trigger and grip are awesome.

Congratulations! I took mine to the range yesterday, just long enough to shoot 100 rounds thru it.

As I've said before, the PPQ was a fine pistol, but the PDP takes it to the next level with huge improvements in the grip and trigger. The next thing I'd usually tell ya was which brand of factory ammo shoots the best and the truth is, I haven't seen much difference in any of them.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I just bought a walther pdp pro SD compact last week. The trigger is probably the best in a striker fired gun.

It’s still in jail ( MSP 7- day wait) and I’m anxious to experience first hand what the fuzz is all about.

The pistol Did function well with a suppressor without the need to use the “ softer spring “ ( included). It ate 115,124,148,158 grain ammo without any hiccups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom