• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    Couldn't hunt today, but got here and set up for tomorrow. Building camp at 3pm, walk out of the camper with 2 chairs in my hand and 2 big does are within 40 yrd and run off. Saw a fawn that i thought was a fox it was so small also. I'll be out tomorrow, trying to put some meat in the box so i can antler hunt later.

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Well, last year I’d had some left over from the year before (not a ton. Maybe 10#s). And I got a pair of BIG does. Like 40lbs or so each back from the butcher. My in-laws moved in back in June and just moved out. Made it hard to do a lot of cooking. Plus major home renovations before they moved and and during.

So I wasn’t cooking nearly as much I’d hoped and normally would.

Oh, and on top of that I got a road kill doe in March that added probably 25 or 30#s of venison to the freezer when I was all said and done.

So…yeah. I don’t know. I’ve probably got 30#s or so left. Probably eat through a lot more of it the next few weeks. Especially if I’ve got one waiting at the butchers. Tis the season to make a lot of chili.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Um, pics? :innocent0

I was on the phone with my wife at the time, I got out of the truck, and for a split second I thought about getting a photo of it under the truck, but it was screaming and I didn't want to be "that guy."

Next time if it's a clean kill I'll grab a photo. Lol

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Out this morning. A skittish momma and her doe with spots almost gone came in around 6:30. Trash collectors scared them off at first. Came back 10 minutes later. Got scared off almost right away. Then back 10 minutes later and hung out until a few minutes ago. I’d rather wait for a doe without fawns ideally. Didn’t help the doe in this case didn’t present a great shot for more than a few seconds. Mostly was head on, butt on, or her fawn was in the way. Or was broadside or slight quartering out at the edge of the woods 35-40yds away.

I guess I’ll see if any late comers stop by. I sometimes get some deer around 7:15-8. Rarely anything much later than that this time of year until around 5pm. So I’ll probably head in for breakfast at 9.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I can be picky. Gives the little one a slightly better chance having momma looking out for her. This point and time the fawn is probably weaned. Later season I wouldn’t give it a second thought. I kind of have my eye on that huge doe I’ve been seeing too. This morning the doe was maybe 90lbs on the hoof and her fawn was little. So she was probably a 2 1/2yr old. The big one I’ve been seeing is probably 4-6yrs and 130-140lbs. A couple of others I’ve seen are also probably over 100.

I can afford to hunt for the “right deer” rather than the deer right now (by afford I mean I’ve got the time, a big enough herd around here and at least for now the spousal patients)

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    I took a shot at a buck and was about to start packing up to go find him, but then saw a doe about 30 minutes later. I'm hoping the doe makes her way by me. I'll give it another hour.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    But but, left over pizza or tenderloins??

Reminds me - While I'm waiting to get over this bout of bronchitis before hitting the woods, I need to break out the last whole backstrap from last year and get the smoker ready. Freaking fantastic smoked over mesquite.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Reminds me - While I'm waiting to get over this bout of bronchitis before hitting the woods, I need to break out the last whole backstrap from last year and get the smoker ready. Freaking fantastic smoked over mesquite.

The weather is perfect for that today.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I took a shot at a buck and was about to start packing up to go find him, but then saw a doe about 30 minutes later. I'm hoping the doe makes her way by me. I'll give it another hour.

They are all moving a ton. I had several late groups come in that I ran in to and also saw out my window. Just snuck up on a trip out on the corn. No 15yd chip shot from my blind, but got her at 31yds.

Time for some mid-day tracking. Had a trio out there, snuck up and shot the bigger doe standing off hand, 31yds. Amusingly the other two are already coming back and eyeing the corn.

No blood I can find, but the arrow was sticking almost all the way out the far side at what appeared to be a good double lung hit, or at worst maybe just over the top of the near side lung and through the center of near side. So probably plugged the hole enough she didn't spray blood. Not like I searched for a long time, just noted roughly where I shot her and where she ran in to the woods and dropped my
    Range finder there.

Hopefully she knocked the bolt loose without smashing it pretty quick to make my tracking job easier.

The other two does came back a few minutes later, but the neighbors dog scared them off. Waiting another 10-15 and then time to find her.

And pry my kids off devices for an anatomy and physiology lesson.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    They are all moving a ton. I had several late groups come in that I ran in to and also saw out my window. Just snuck up on a trip out on the corn. No 15yd chip shot from my blind, but got her at 31yds.

Time for some mid-day tracking. Had a trio out there, snuck up and shot the bigger doe standing off hand, 31yds. Amusingly the other two are already coming back and eyeing the corn.

No blood I can find, but the arrow was sticking almost all the way out the far side at what appeared to be a good double lung hit, or at worst maybe just over the top of the near side lung and through the center of near side. So probably plugged the hole enough she didn't spray blood. Not like I searched for a long time, just noted roughly where I shot her and where she ran in to the woods and dropped my
    Range finder there.

Hopefully she knocked the bolt loose without smashing it pretty quick to make my tracking job easier.

The other two does came back a few minutes later, but the neighbors dog scared them off. Waiting another 10-15 and then time to find her.

And pry my kids off devices for an anatomy and physiology lesson.

Nice! But pics or it doesn't count!

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    A little to early for me yet, but it sure was about as cool is it could get for opening day Sept. 9. I've got all season. Autumn starts Sept. 22. Going up in the mountains next week to put up my ladder stand. It went down in the fortys friday morning up there nice. Good luck to all of ya!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom