• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Headed to NW CO mid October. I know weather can be tricky and we are still a month away. Looking for info on what we may expect.

traveling and camping north of grand junction and south of rangely. For you elk hunters, units 21, 22, 30, 31, and 32. I have good topo maps and use onX. What can we expect as far as traveling the BLM roads; boulders, quagmire or just dirt roads? We are going to be a single vehicle, should we bring chains? Are there any good camp sites you’d recommend?

Thanks in advance

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    that tag was my first elk hunt (first rifle) three years ago. the dirt roads turned to absolute sh1t after some rain/snow/melt. my f250 just about went down a cliff. i ended up buying some serious chains for the following year, but not sure they would have helped. i was trying to get up to that square s summer range but couldn't get above 7-8k on road 26 (all iirc) so i just hunted lower on 26 the opening day. saw two cow elk at first light but zilch the rest of the week. was all around and up and down piceance creek road and along white river. there were a buncha hunters camping in sections along 26.

good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom