• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Requires raw stainless or aluminum, but for anyone not familiar, a relatively low cost to get BATFE compliant engraving of reasonably high quality. After some research I found that the current available best option is a machine known as the “personalizer plus” which best price around and in stock is from Texas Farrier Supply (here - https://texasfarriersupply.com/shop...personalizer-plus-etching-machine-kit/p/13497 )

I’ve been testing it out on some less valuable items (e.g. a couple old yeti tumblers, some scrap aluminum) and gotten great results. I’m hoping to use it to mark a few more relevant items this week and I’ll update with pictures. For now, here is a test engraving I did to appease the Mrs below. Hoping anyone not aware of this option for marking might find it interesting (and those of you that have done it before, if you have any tips I’d be happy to hear!)

Attachments

• 4073FA26-878B-495C-BE37-1F093BB7C47C.jpg
      4073FA26-878B-495C-BE37-1F093BB7C47C.jpg
      66.2 KB · Views: 263

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    How does the masking process work? I assume this works the same way as ECM, I have done and fired barrels that way. To bad it wouldn't work for anodized stuff.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    How does the masking process work? I assume this works the same way as ECM, I have done and fired barrels that way. To bad it wouldn't work for anodized stuff.

Correct, no go on anodizing. I am using a Cricut to make vinyl templates on the fly that are as custom as you want. Dog fight ink will also sell a host of roll mark stencils to make a clone. I just weed the vinyl stencils I make, use transfer paper and mask the edges with electrical tape. When I get to the intended use in the near future I will post a few pictures to document the process.

I’ve seen people use a few batteries and salt water, but the results seem to be hit or miss (as I understand it, DC works well to etch in the manner of a deep engraving, and than AC actually renders the mark black)

magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD
    I have done a couple lowers and Yeti cups. I just used a auto battery charger, Qtips, and vinegar and salt as my solution. It was easy and they turned out great. I was wondering if this would be deep enough to satisfy NFA engraving rules?

bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    Requires raw stainless or aluminum, but for anyone not familiar, a relatively low cost to get BATFE compliant engraving of reasonably high quality. After some research I found that the current available best option is a machine known as the “personalizer plus” which best price around and in stock is from Texas Farrier Supply (here - https://texasfarriersupply.com/shop...personalizer-plus-etching-machine-kit/p/13497 )

I’ve been testing it out on some less valuable items (e.g. a couple old yeti tumblers, some scrap aluminum) and gotten great results. I’m hoping to use it to mark a few more relevant items this week and I’ll update with pictures. For now, here is a test engraving I did to appease the Mrs below. Hoping anyone not aware of this option for marking might find it interesting (and those of you that have done it before, if you have any tips I’d be happy to hear!)

That's a nice touch good job! :thumbsup:

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    How do you control depth and is it consistent throughout the pattern you are etching?

Basically consistency of application pressure and count time electric is applied. On something flat the size of a roll mark it is way to keep it consistent.

I have done a couple lowers and Yeti cups. I just used a auto battery charger, Qtips, and vinegar and salt as my solution. It was easy and they turned out great. I was wondering if this would be deep enough to satisfy NFA engraving rules?

If you use the correct solution, current and time yes. The machine I linked to is an upgrade from the model below it specifically to hit NFA requirements or better.

That's a nice touch good job! :thumbsup:

Cheers!

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Managed to get markings done for the 2011. Absolutely meets (and exceeds) NFA depth requirements. I need to clean these up with a 400 grit equivalent wire wheel to unit on the color (the black is residue as I didn’t mark with AC, but only etched with DC). Damned happy with the results (results attached as well as the templates while plucking the vinyl).

Attachments

• 697743E7-F5F6-4D6E-9196-27941FE5A0BF.jpg
      697743E7-F5F6-4D6E-9196-27941FE5A0BF.jpg
      43.9 KB · Views: 189
    • 6ECA046C-3C37-4B3E-B605-AF67B69B1229.jpg
      6ECA046C-3C37-4B3E-B605-AF67B69B1229.jpg
      56.8 KB · Views: 185
    • 40D23592-57ED-48F9-A59E-0E81F05765C9.jpg
      40D23592-57ED-48F9-A59E-0E81F05765C9.jpg
      64.5 KB · Views: 187

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Managed to get markings done for the 2011. Absolutely meets (and exceeds) NFA depth requirements. I need to clean these up with a 400 grit equivalent wire wheel to unit on the color (the black is residue as I didn’t mark with AC, but only etched with DC). Damned happy with the results (results attached as well as the templates while plucking the vinyl).

What machine are you using to cut the stencils?

Looks fantastic!!!

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD

Nice job

Is it the font, masking or picture quality that makes the edges of the letters look a little squiggly?

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    You are doing it wrong, I bought the cricut machine for my wife for Christmas!.......she has never used it LOL

If I only had that level of patience! I made a few designs to start for her...

Nice job

Is it the font, masking or picture quality that makes the edges of the letters look a little squiggly?

A little bit of each? There were a few letters on the stencil that didn’t transfer perfectly straight that I didn’t notice, but you need to zoom way in close to notice. Here is a close up on one of the original images I posted.

Attachments

• 724CFDA9-DB5E-4838-89F8-43ECBDC0DA79.jpg
      724CFDA9-DB5E-4838-89F8-43ECBDC0DA79.jpg
      29.4 KB · Views: 123

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    If I only had that level of patience! I made a few designs to start for her...

A little bit of each? There were a few letters on the stencil that didn’t transfer perfectly straight that I didn’t notice, but you need to zoom way in close to notice. Here is a close up on one of the original images I posted.

The letters in the close up look nice and sharp.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Can I ask which Cricut model? It looks like there are several out there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://cricut.com/en_us/machines/c...-maker/cricut-makerr-machine-champagne-1.html

Cheaper on Amazon, even cheaper on eBay if you wait for an auction listing.

Just a follow on - I’m using the permanent version “premium vinyl” by cricut. They make some vinyl specifically for “stencils” but I don’t think I would trust that to seal out the etchant. I have some of the stencil vinyl I will test on some scrap and I’ll update if it works well but I’m not expecting it will.

Also, you can either “swipe” (very slowly) or blot and slowly rock back and forth when actually etching. Swiping can be problematic with small letters that have interior outlines like “A” and “R”. Results above are using the blotting method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom