• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Sorry…I should remember this by now but…

What is the best way to learn to build an AR-15?

I know there are some classes or people willing to take on an apprentice…

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There are quite a few people here who have taken many AR classes in the past. We would be glad to answer any questions you have along the way if you get hung up on anything.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Definitely SOTAR. You learn a ton and assemble a rifle over a weekend.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Basic knowledge on building an AR can be developed just from watching YouTube videos. Lots of good ones out there. Honestly it is very easy to build an AR from just parts.

To really understood the whats and whys and tune one, then probably SOTAR.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thank you for the kind words gentlemen.

Boisepaw,

SOTAR AR Classes are not for everyone. They are very involved and not everyone wants to go that deep.

It's often said that AR-15's are like Legos. In my experience the modern AR is more like the 1911's than Legos.

My most sincere advice is to carefully consider the experience of the person you are trying to learn from. Many gun people are comfortable with their ignorance about certain firearm designs. You don't want to take advice from that type of person.

If I had an opening for a class I would offer it but unfortunately I'm booked until 2023.

Sons of Liberty Gun Works offers a very good AR Armorer's and Build Classes. They travel all over the U.S. and often have classes in VA and PA.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD

Boisepaw,

SOTAR AR Classes are not for everyone. They are very involved and not everyone wants to go that deep.

It's often said that AR-15's are like Legos. In my experience the modern AR is more like the 1911's than Legos.

My most sincere advice is to carefully consider the experience of the person you are trying to learn from. Many gun people are comfortable with their ignorance about certain firearm designs. You don't want to take advice from that type of person.

If I had an opening for a class I would offer it but unfortunately I'm booked until 2023.

Sons of Liberty Gun Works offers a very good AR Armorer's and Build Classes. They travel all over the U.S. and often have classes in VA and PA.

You're a good guy and one hell of a professional...can't endorse you enough.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    Can anyone recommend an AR specific tool set, incl vise blocks. for someone that has a full set of general auto, metal working tools.
    I see kits that are not much more than punch sets,, and kits that are "over the moon"
    Is it best to get a "kit" or piece a kit together?
    Def need a "vise block, and roll pin punches,, and maybe the drill bits with holder for cleaning out pin bores.

I would like to keep a kit separate from my general tools, incl the grease, oil, etc,, but only the size punches, etc for an AR/M4 and AR308

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    My preference is to buy individual pieces, instead of a kit as some manufacturers' versions are much better than others. I'm particular about tools, and would often prefer to have the best tool for the job, or the tool that fits me best, instead of a tool that's somewhat adequate, and was chosen to make a kit meet a price point.

If you're looking at buying individual pieces, the "SOTAR AR Tool, Gauge and Jig List" is a great place to start:

https://m.facebook.com/SchooloftheAmericanRifle/posts/2169330400026519

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD

Boisepaw,

Chad does great work and teaches a great course. As you can see, he's got guys lined up around the block waiting for him to go that deep.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Can anyone recommend an AR specific tool set, incl vise blocks. for someone that has a full set of general auto, metal working tools.
    I see kits that are not much more than punch sets,, and kits that are "over the moon"
    Is it best to get a "kit" or piece a kit together?
    Def need a "vise block, and roll pin punches,, and maybe the drill bits with holder for cleaning out pin bores.

I would like to keep a kit separate from my general tools, incl the grease, oil, etc,, but only the size punches, etc for an AR/M4 and AR308

Lots of kits out there, but for a vise either

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-Upper-Receiver-Rod-p/mi-urr.htm

Or Magpul Bev Block

Clamshell sucks and the Geissele rod is almost as bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom