• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    First, good on OP for posting the video and photos of targets when the outcome was less than ideal.

Second, try using the small aperture instead of the large one. Generally speaking, the large aperture is intended for nighttime shooting. Some people like it better for close range, but in daylight it often results in inconsistent shot placement outside of 0-5 yards. Put it this way: training with the small aperture will slow you down and help you with consistent cheek weld, head position, and stance. And it’s what you should have flipped up by default. Once everything else is consistent, which aperture you choose to use becomes less important.

Third, I suggest OP try dry firing with helmet and earpro on. You need to be comfortable with the discomfort of tactical gear, and OP appears not to be. Nothing wrong with taking out additional insurance by sticking some foamies in on the range because breaking the seal happens.

Fourth, slow down until you get comfortable with your setup and stance. For all I can tell, with the big aperture and inconsistent cheek well, OP is using one of the wings of his front sight instead of the center post.

Fifth, the proliferation of helmets and earpro are one of the reasons all those super tall optics mounts have become popular. While primarily intended for passive aiming with night vision, the more heads up sight picture also bypasses some of the annoyance of peltors (and other electronic earpro). Not really relevant to OP because buying more gear isn’t going to solve his irons problem, but worth mentioning. Electronic over the ear earpro is annoying. You have to learn to be comfortable with it instead of fighting it and letting it disrupt your fundamentals.

Sixth, assuming OP is of average intelligence and ability, a few sessions of effective dry fire practice with gear on, if done correctly (use the small aperture and make sure the reps reinforce good habits instead of creating new training scars), should shrink those groups down immediately.

slyitry

Jul 28, 2009
    Thanks for all the responses. What I have gather so far is Practice more including dry fire(while wearing kit), Slow down focusing on accuracy and use the small aperture.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    In watching the video, what eye dominance are you (this is different from being right or left handed)?

Q

TravisVerve

May 3, 2021
    Dig. I put together my first two ar a few months ago. One I put a red dot on and spent an hour zeroing and can could prob get every shot center in that red area of that target at 25 yds (dont have anywhere longer to practice close by)
    The second ar I put a carry handle on and can get all the shots in a straight line vertically but they would go from this targets chin to belly button horizontally at 25 yards. I got a CMMG 22LR kit so i can practice more at 8¢/round... I figure it will payfor itself before long! lol

slyitry

Jul 28, 2009
    I'm right eye dominant. Its difficult to get a good sight picture with the earpro and helmet so I will dryfire practice up drills with the rifle while wearing the gear. Why the helmet......from what I see online they are all the rage.

slyitry

Jul 28, 2009
    I'd rather get comfortable/proficient with using the helmet than not. You just never know when you might need protective gear. Plus helmets are not cheap....I would like to at least get some use out of it.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Helmet? YouTube?

Hah! Noob.

This is how I train.

Attachments

• 767A9391-5C2D-440E-9F21-42E3782B771D.jpg
      767A9391-5C2D-440E-9F21-42E3782B771D.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 114

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    No TBI. Just about all the guys on Youtube are wearing/training with helmets now.

All the guys on YouTube tell me to smash the like button as well. After I replaced my 4th laptop I stopped listening to them. I just click on it now.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I'm right eye dominant. Its difficult to get a good sight picture with the earpro and helmet so I will dryfire practice up drills with the rifle while wearing the gear. Why the helmet......from what I see online they are all the rage.

You may want to bring the buttstock a little higher in your shoulder so your cheekweld/cheek placement is not so tilted. The red dot optic allows you to better visually see the dot without having to line up the iron sites so your head placement is not as critical.

Q

slyitry

Jul 28, 2009
    Is Training with gear really a bad thing? I just don't understand. Me and just about everyone else wore gear when playing paintball or airsoft.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Is Training with gear really a bad thing? I just don't understand. Me and just about everyone else wore gear when playing paintball or airsoft.

It's just the guys giving you grief, in jest. You do you, I wish I could afford a nice helmet.

Q

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Treat OP with respect.
    Bite tongue
    Refrain from youtube punchlines
    Encourage OP , and similarly situated
    Repeat to self
    Repeat to self

Other than purely Safety PPE concerns , wear or don't wear whatever you wish . Heck , switch it up to have fun , and keep it interesting .

But whether at the nude beach , -10 deg hunting blind , or full dress Mil Sim , the fundamentals are the same :

Good Trigger Control
    Sufficiently adaquate sighting
    Kinda ok stance

In that order of importance .

Only Hits count
    Style Points only matter while cutting up with your buddies during friendly competition in safe environment .

The targets don't care if I'm wearing pointy boots and Stetson , blaze orange , or Speedo, only where the bullets land .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom