• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I'd be starting on bare aluminum. Not even sure it really needs to be blasted except to ensure a totally uniform starting surface

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Ok so the bare aluminum is too smooth. Got it.

Correct. The only two surfaces where Norrell does not suggest blasting in addition to degreasing is application over type III anodizing, and parkerizing. Because the coating is so thin, how aggressive you sandblast will correlate to the finish sheen (I have observed this with socom black - but it seems to matter less with some of the other finishes such as burnt bronze).

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Ok, i could do that but i'm afraid my Porter-Cable C2002 150 PSI, 6 Gal. Oil-Free Pancake Compressor isn't good enough. Per the specs it states

AIR DELIVERY @ 40 PSI ISO1217 3.5 SCFM

The specs for the blaster state:

Minimum air requirement 3.5cfm at 50psi

So it looks like i'm out of luck. Thanks anyway.

You can make it work, you'll just have to do it in segments. TSC sells a blaster for $50 that I originally used with my tiny old Kobalt. It is much more pleasant to use my newer (and far bigger) oiled Makita compressor, but the little pancakes can do it. Just blast for a few seconds, let it recharge and move to the next area. Just make sure you get corners/edges - that is one of the tips from Norrell that a lot of folks seem to have issues with is poor adhesion to corners/edges because folks focus the blasting on the larger areas....

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I have used the spray coatings from Brownells and Midway USA. I found out that prepping is the most important to clean metal and make sure degreased too. Best to not try and do polished surfaces as it wont adhere. I bake mine in the Kitchen oven. I have done recievers and also bolt action receivers. I put in one oven rack up high. Then pieces of bent coat hanger to hang parts from rack. The actions I hang on an angle from front to back. Piece of wire on the back and another piece stuck into the barrel hole. Bake and then let cool for a few hours.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Ok, i could do that but i'm afraid my Porter-Cable C2002 150 PSI, 6 Gal. Oil-Free Pancake Compressor isn't good enough. Per the specs it states

AIR DELIVERY @ 40 PSI ISO1217 3.5 SCFM

The specs for the blaster state:

Minimum air requirement 3.5cfm at 50psi

So it looks like i'm out of luck. Thanks anyway.
    That’s basically what I have. You can make it work.
    I have two raw lowers that would need this done.
    Can do.

I can do custom stencils/serials. I got a Cricut to keep up with KIB.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Hey KI - did you happen to use a Horrible Freight airbrush to do this with? If not what brand? Finally got some of the resin and gearing up for a project

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I ended up using one of these: Amazon product ASIN B08W4YZPR7
    But I did the first one with a HF and it worked fine, it just didn't hold up to my gorilla handling and gauging the force used on fittings in number of "UGHA DUGHA's"

Cheers, John - I much enjoy it more than my day job. Have I mentioned lately how much I hate my career path? :)

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Took my first shot at it today

Color seems decent. Matte turned our glossy though. Their site says I made too heavy of coats. Christ I don't know how to make them lighter I spread it out over 4 total applications.

Also started with a raw lower and anodized upper. Blasted the lower. The surface texture difference makes them appear different to the eye. Should've blasted it all in retrospect

Anyone know if I can use a scotch brite or 3M pad to bust the gloss a bit? Or is this shit too hard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom