• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Money_B_85

Mar 30, 2017
    DPS LLC. Cliff is a great guy who doesn’t gouge. He’s in La Plata

Th33gunner

Sep 24, 2021
    Bro, I feel you. My extensive buying and paying experiences told me one thing, which all adults may know, is just trying to get more money for myself to compensate that feeling caused by extra fee. Damn, two Chipotle meals differences I am talking about or 4 Starbucks.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Can I just gripe for a minute? I just moved here from the free state of Texas, What gives?!?

OK, gripe over.

p.s.
    If you know somewhere giving cheaper transfers in AAC then what I paid please let me know!

Yeah! What gives? What in the absolute mortal HELL would make anyone move from a free state to a slave state???

Well, tell you what, myshop does $30 transfers! .......(but we're just over the border in Virginia, so...)

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    It’s quite obvious that some folks here have never run a business - let alone a firearms business.

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Yeah! What gives? What in the absolute mortal HELL would make anyone move from a free state to a slave state???

Well, tell you what, myshop does $30 transfers! .......(but we're just over the border in Virginia, so...)

Not by personal choice, that's for sure.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    It’s quite obvious that some folks here have never run a business - let alone a firearms business.

I’ve seen on this forum elsewhere; business owners qualify their prices for services, with proclamations of their internal business costs.

That doesn’t matter to a prospective customer looking for service or product. To declare your internal costs as a basis for markup is a turnoff for people shopping for a service or product.

Offer your best price and leave the substantiating reasons out of it. I’m not there to pay your bills. I am looking for the best price in a product/service.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I’ve seen on this forum elsewhere; business owners qualify their prices for services, with proclamations of their internal business costs.

That doesn’t matter to a prospective customer looking for service or product. To declare your internal costs as a basis for markup is a turnoff for people shopping for a service or product.

Offer your best price and leave the substantiating reasons out of it. I’m not there to pay your bills. I am looking for the best price in a product/service.

When we had our business we did not reveal the basis for our costs and what our expenses were.

But I would share that on a forum when discussing what the costs of running a business are.

No one here is an FLL sharing their actual costs, there are people who have owned/operated businesses helping people understand the costs involved.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009

I don’t see where that applies to what I stated, but then again, nobody ever accused me of being the sharpest knife in the drawer. But I do get it - I can be a notorious cheapskate myself at times; I’m not above shopping at Walmart or ALDI or dollar stores.

That being said, I’m 57 years old and have been self-employed since I was 24. Over the years, I’ve managed to always live in a decent neighborhood, keep my refrigerator stocked, pay my bills, take vacations, buy new vehicles when needed - or wanted, save for retirement, and put my daughter through college in Chapel Hill. I’ve been able to enjoy my hobbies - guns, motorcycles, and other things - without taking out a second mortgage. At this stage in my life, I have ZERO debt, money spread out in various investments, and I can basically do as I please. If I ever do get around to retiring, I will be very comfortable. And when I finally leave this earth, I will leave a little something behind for my survivors.

I didn’t achieve these goals by battling with my competitors to be “the cheapest guy in town”, or win friends by forsaking profit. Living in trailer parks and surviving on dented cans of soup and day-old bread just never appealed to me. I may be in the minority here, but I don’t believe that “profit” is a dirty word.

windyhill

Mar 24, 2011
    I was recently quoted $200.00 out the door price, for an ordered/transfer of a standard stripped PSA lower. :shocked4:

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I don’t see where that applies to what I stated, but then again, nobody ever accused me of being the sharpest knife in the drawer. But I do get it - I can be a notorious cheapskate myself at times; I’m not above shopping at Walmart or ALDI or dollar stores.

That being said, I’m 57 years old and have been self-employed since I was 24. Over the years, I’ve managed to always live in a decent neighborhood, keep my refrigerator stocked, pay my bills, take vacations, buy new vehicles when needed - or wanted, save for retirement, and put my daughter through college in Chapel Hill. I’ve been able to enjoy my hobbies - guns, motorcycles, and other things - without taking out a second mortgage. At this stage in my life, I have ZERO debt, money spread out in various investments, and I can basically do as I please. If I ever do get around to retiring, I will be very comfortable. And when I finally leave this earth, I will leave a little something behind for my survivors.

I didn’t achieve these goals by battling with my competitors to be “the cheapest guy in town”, or win friends by forsaking profit. Living in trailer parks and surviving on dented cans of soup and day-old bread just never appealed to me. I may be in the minority here, but I don’t believe that “profit” is a dirty word.

I was not singling you out specifically. Your post had just stirred a thought that I had regarding such.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

Actually, you are. (S)he's in business to make money, which includes paying the bills.

But I can agree with "Offer your best price", without substantiating, or justifying.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Pricing can be a strategy. My LGS is 2 min away, does $20 transfers(PA) and does so to build his business and get people in the door to look at his inventory and services. Another shop has a membership card and does them for free, you just pay the state fee, others will show their price vs online, or will get me what I want for a reasonable cost without waiting, and doing the leg work myself. Nobody is going to keep a shop open with transfers alone, if you charge enough to do so, people will go elsewhere.

srephwed

Jul 25, 2010
    harford county
    They can't get guns to sell. They can't get ammo to sell. They take all the risk if they forget to dot an I or cross a T. Giving my dealer 40 bucks to help keep the place open seems fair to me

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    In Delaware, I use Shooter's choice range and I am a member at that place. It isn't that bad even if you have to pay non-member price.

"Fees for transfers are $60.00 for non members coming from another FFL dealer plus $10.00 for each additional gun. The transfer fee for members and person to person transfers are $30.00 plus $10.00 for each additional gun."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom