• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Decide to take up a MDS member on his beautiful Yugo 59/66 SKS.

Didn't even know I wanted one until I saw his ad .... :cool:

Attachments

• SKS_1.jpg
      SKS_1.jpg
      74.2 KB · Views: 502
    • SKS_3.jpg
      SKS_3.jpg
      95.8 KB · Views: 489
    • SKS_2.jpg
      SKS_2.jpg
      68.9 KB · Views: 483
    • SKS_4.jpg
      SKS_4.jpg
      71.8 KB · Views: 485

dieselfarmboy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    Snow Hill, MD
    Whats interesting about them compared to the Chinese is they was all built for the Military. Even more neat is they seem to be on both ends of the extreme, a pristine example like yours, you one that was put thru he** and has the scars to prove it.

Vodnik4

Between two waters
    Jan 8, 2021
    Slower, lower MD
    They are super fun to shoot too!
    After I picked up one for myself, I’m afraid to admit that I would rather take a Yugo SKS to the range than an AR... travesty, but that’s how it rolls :)

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Well, I did meet the seller and he turned out to be a super nice guy but the FFL struggled with the legality of transferring an original, as built and imported Yugo SKS 59/66.

After a little drama and 45 minutes of them making calls and digging around on the internet they finally came to the conclusion that it was able to be legally transferred in Maryland.

Then my background check was booted back for further review....I waited about 15 min for the call back and gave up and came home. Hopefully they will be calling me be back in a few days to come and pick it up. For whatever reason, I get kicked back for second level review about 50% of the time. Get's frustrating.

Anyway, while waiting on the FFL to decide if he could do the transfer, I got a chance to look the rifle over really well and determine it was actually a 59/66A1 manufactured in 1972 and has been through an re-arsenal. It's a beautiful rifle and I really appreciate the sellers patience.

If only the old girl could tell stories.

Last edited:

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Well, I did meet the seller and he turned out to be a super nice guy but the FFL struggled with the legality of transferring an original, as built and imported Yugo SKS 59/66.

After a little drama and 45 minutes of them making calls and digging around on the internet they finally came to the conclusion that it was able to be legally transferred in Maryland.

Then my background check was booted back for further review....I waited about 15 min for the call back and gave up and came home. Hopefully they will be calling me be back in a few days to come and pick it up. For whatever reason, I get kicked back for second level review about 50% of the time. Get's frustrating.

Anyway, while waiting on the FFL to decide if he could do the transfer, I got a chance to look the rifle over really well and determine it was manufactured in 1972 and has been through an re-arsenal. It's a beautiful rifle and I really appreciate the sellers patience.

If only the old girl could tell stories.

I’m surprised there’s an FFL that was unsure about legality of transferring a 59/66.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    My Yugo SKS was delivered to my door many years ago thanks to C&R and it is definitely one of my most fun rifles to shoot. I usually take it and an AK-47 (both 7.62x39) I have to the range at the same time. The SKS is a little kinder to the shoulder than the AK (not that the AK is uncomfortable) but it is noticeable when they are shot together. With my aging eyes, it's a bit of a challenge to be accurate shooting these rifles out to 100 yds (and even worse at 200 yds!) but that doesn't stop me from trying and still enjoying it. I hope the OP's transfer issues are resolved quickly so he can enjoy this really neat gun.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Less than 18 hours later I got the call from the FFL to come pick it up.

It's now resting comfortably with the Garands and Carbines in the C&R safe.

1972 Yugo SKS 59/66A1

Attachments

• 1972 SKS 59:66A1_1.jpg
      1972 SKS 59:66A1_1.jpg
      86.9 KB · Views: 312
    • 1972 SKS 59:66A1_2.jpg
      1972 SKS 59:66A1_2.jpg
      90.4 KB · Views: 304
    • 1972 SKS 59:66A1_3.jpg
      1972 SKS 59:66A1_3.jpg
      153 KB · Views: 308

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    My Yugo SKS was delivered to my door many years ago thanks to C&R and it is definitely one of my most fun rifles to shoot. I usually take it and an AK-47 (both 7.62x39) I have to the range at the same time. The SKS is a little kinder to the shoulder than the AK (not that the AK is uncomfortable) but it is noticeable when they are shot together. With my aging eyes, it's a bit of a challenge to be accurate shooting these rifles out to 100 yds (and even worse at 200 yds!) but that doesn't stop me from trying and still enjoying it. I hope the OP's transfer issues are resolved quickly so he can enjoy this really neat gun.

Was nice when they were around $200 door to door.

Maryland_Pinz

Aug 9, 2010
    Here's my SKS

Here's a couple of pictures of my SKS. I have only shot her a few times during one session at the NRA headquarters range in VA. I was surprised at how fun it was to shoot! It sure would be cool if there was legal way to try out the grenade launcher attachment! I'm guessing that there would be no way in hell that that would ever happen though...

Attachments

• Yugoslavian M59-66 SKS 7.62 x 39 2.jpg
      Yugoslavian M59-66 SKS 7.62 x 39 2.jpg
      28.5 KB · Views: 251
    • Yugoslavian M59-66 SKS 7.62 x 39 1.jpg
      Yugoslavian M59-66 SKS 7.62 x 39 1.jpg
      29.6 KB · Views: 251

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Was even nicer when you could get an unissued Yugo for less than $100 shipped to your door with a C&R.
    I should have ordered 10 of them. That and the $69 M44's and the $79 M91/30.... 20/20 hindsight..

M1842

Jul 27, 2009
    I have an original Model 1959 without the grenade launcher that was added later., Got it from AIM back around 2004,, shoots very nicely.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I remember when Dans Ammo was selling them by the crate. Consecutive numbered too.

Attachments

• y2.jpg
      y2.jpg
      44.7 KB · Views: 143
    • y3.jpg
      y3.jpg
      46.3 KB · Views: 152

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Went through a terrible experience with my first Yugo- bought it early on in my younger days, didn’t shoot it for several years. When I finally did it turned into a nightmare as it wouldn’t cycle at all and the bolt would stick so badly it took a rubber mallet to get it back open to eject. Mine wasn’t an unissued one, it was rather rode hard and put away wet. Gas system was corroded and I went down the journey of trying to remove and replace the gas block myself which didn’t go well in my limited experience at the time. Ended up scrapping that receiver and bought a stripped one cheap to move the internal parts over and ultimately sold it on MDS actually IIRC many years ago. Had several other SKS’s back in those days, dwindled down as tastes changed, kept my Norinco though and have taken it out once in awhile.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Couple early 50s Ruskies, an albanian and a chinese.

Attachments

• 3976631B-84D7-43EC-A10B-F55BDDDD8ACE.jpg
      3976631B-84D7-43EC-A10B-F55BDDDD8ACE.jpg
      116.6 KB · Views: 115
    • EC00D172-0B72-483C-ABF4-0D6191DB5E1B.jpg
      EC00D172-0B72-483C-ABF4-0D6191DB5E1B.jpg
      136.9 KB · Views: 117

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members