Springfield Armory reintroducing JMB's Hi-Power?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I always hated the magazine disconnect. Glad to see they got rid of that, even though it makes it a less faithful reproduction.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Meh. I have a fairly nice custom BHP, and even dumping money and a good smith at it, it's just not the equal of a modern pistol. The reset is non-existent, and it's got a SAO pull with all the charm of an OK DA pull. :P

Yeah, I know, it's gonna be a range toy for most of these guys, I get it.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The Hi-Power is arguably the most elegant looking pistol design ever...and I'm a 1911 guy. The 1911 looks purposeful...everything one needs and nothing it doesn't for the most part. The Hi-Power is simply firearms art in steel.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    They say they fixed the hammer bite? :party29: I'm in! My Portuguese/Belgian bites me worse than my 1911...even through gloves. :o

Hopefully it can take old mags in addition to the new "improved" ones :fingerscrossed:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    HP trigger pull is fine once you remove the magazine disconnect, which was not part of the original design anyway. Takes five.minutes and is so simple even I can do it.

Good luck to SA but I'll stick with FN or Inglis. Call me a traditionalist.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    They say they fixed the hammer bite? :party29: I'm in! My Portuguese/Belgian bites me worse than my 1911...even through gloves. :o

Hopefully it can take old mags in addition to the new "improved" ones :fingerscrossed:

Yeah, hammer geometry changed a bit - whether it's enough to keep my orangutan hands out of trouble, we'll see.

And from what I'm reading: Yes! Apparently any mag that's ever worked in a BHP variant should work in the SA35, AND the SA35's native 15-rounders will actually work in older BHPs, too.

But ... do I really need such a thing? Shouldn't I just get another CZ-75 variant, since I've already spent $3.5 Trillion on mags for that family of pistols? One could argue that the CZ-75 is just a shameless copy of the BHP with some Czech twists to it (well, and they're bigger with a longer reach, and of course can be DA or SA).

I will look forward to trying one of these along the way. Might suit the missus's hands better than the 75's larger grip. Yeah, that's my excuse!

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Yea but Springfield does know a bit more about handguns than Rem.
    ORLY?

1920px-New_model_Army_IMG_3544.jpg

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Ring hammer for the win.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'd be interested in a Hi-Power from Springfield.

I do find something interesting though. I've read over and over in this thread how people are adamant that parts not be made in Brazil or wherever, and that it just HAS to be made in the USA. Food for thought - if the metallurgy is good and the specs are correct, does it really matter? Can anyone here look at a piece of metal and know for a fact where it was made?

Things are not like they were 40-50 years ago when there was a large gap in quality between what was made in the USA and what was made elsewhere. Modern technology and time has reduced that gap to a point on some things where it's just not a factor anymore. I wish that the words "Made in the USA" still represented what they did back then, but I'm not sure they do anymore. That's another debate for another thread though.

Getting back to this pistol, if Springfield puts out a solid version of this pistol that's well made and functions properly, I'm in regardless of where the parts may have been made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom