Springfield Armory reintroducing JMB's Hi-Power?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Please educate me. This is advertised as being striker fired, yet it has an external hammer. I'm so confused.:o

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So how does one get this in hand to present to the Handgun Roster Board?
    Order it, have it shipped to the FFL, and have the FFL hold it while the petition is submitted to the board for review and approval.

Ask me how I know. ;)

While this is a new pistol for Springfield, it's not a new pistol design - it's 85 years old and is already on the roster for other manufacturers - the board won't actually need to see it, and especially if that is notated on the petition form.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I'd be interested in a Hi-Power from Springfield.

I do find something interesting though. I've read over and over in this thread how people are adamant that parts not be made in Brazil or wherever, and that it just HAS to be made in the USA. Food for thought - if the metallurgy is good and the specs are correct, does it really matter? Can anyone here look at a piece of metal and know for a fact where it was made?

Things are not like they were 40-50 years ago when there was a large gap in quality between what was made in the USA and what was made elsewhere. Modern technology and time has reduced that gap to a point on some things where it's just not a factor anymore. I wish that the words "Made in the USA" still represented what they did back then, but I'm not sure they do anymore. That's another debate for another thread though.

Getting back to this pistol, if Springfield puts out a solid version of this pistol that's well made and functions properly, I'm in regardless of where the parts may have been made.

For me, the Made in USA appeal has more to do with patriotism than quality. I know...I know...what an outdated extremist outlook:rolleye12

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    For me, the Made in USA appeal has more to do with patriotism than quality. I know...I know...what an outdated extremist outlook:rolleye12
    The last two pistols I purchased were made in the USA - both Dan Wesson 1911s. I'm there as much as I can be. I'm just of the opinion that quality manufacture can happen in just about anywhere in the world now with modern technology and manufacturing techniques.

USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County
    Order it, have it shipped to the FFL, and have the FFL hold it while the petition is submitted to the board for review and approval.

Ask me how I know. ;)

While this is a new pistol for Springfield, it's not a new pistol design - it's 85 years old and is already on the roster for other manufacturers - the board won't actually need to see it, and especially if that is notated on the petition form.

That would be the reasonable conclusion. I fully expect the Maryland Handgun Roster board to look at this like it is an alien laser blaster from the Omicron Persei 8 system. If they don't need to see it, then I will be pleasantly surprised.

AFAIK the Beretta M9 variants (A1, A2, A3, A4, etc.) needed to be seen separately, although that was before the July 2021 update for model numbers.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    That would be the reasonable conclusion. I fully expect the Maryland Handgun Roster board to look at this like it is an alien laser blaster from the Omicron Persei 8 system. If they don't need to see it, then I will be pleasantly surprised.

AFAIK the Beretta M9 variants (A1, A2, A3, A4, etc.) needed to be seen separately, although that was before the July 2021 update for model numbers.

Of course MSP will want a sample. It's a completely new model for Springfield.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

My comments were from personal experience. When Dan Wesson re-released the Valor 1911 as the 2020 Valor, I decided after a lot of reading and looking that this was the pistol I wanted to buy, so I ordered it directly from Dan Wesson/CZ USA through their Military/LEO/First Responder program. I never consulted the Handgun Roster because I assumed, wrongly, that because it was a 1911, a handgun in continuous production for almost 110 years, it would be good to go.

Nope - this was prior the Handgun Review Board dropping the model number requirement, so when it got to my FFL, they called me to tell me that they had the gun, but that they couldn't transfer it to me because it wasn't on the roster due to the fact that Dan Wesson had designated it with a new model number. :mad54:

I asked my FFL if they'd hold it until I petitioned the Handgun Review Board, and they agreed. Because it was just a 1911, the board didn't actually need to see my specimen of the pistol, although I did inquire to make sure of it - if they had needed it, I'd have worked something out with the FFL to get it to them.

So my timeline:
    4/28/2020 - order placed
    7/17/2020 - order shipped
    7/21/2020 - order received at my FFL (In any other free state, this would have been the day I could have taken it home.)
    8/8/2020 - mailed petition to MD Handgun Review Board
    9/16/2020 - Review board met, approved the DW 2020 Valor
    October 2020 - DW 2020 Valor added to the Roster
    11/9/2020 - Updated roster is finally published
    11/10/2020 - Submitted my 77R for transfer and started my 7-day wait
    11/17/2020 - Finally took home my new pistol

In total, it was a 119 days from the time the pistol arrived at the FFL until I was finally able to take it home. It seemed like a nightmare at the time, but it's a great pistol, so it was worth the wait.

USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County
    In total, it was a 119 days from the time the pistol arrived at the FFL until I was finally able to take it home. It seemed like a nightmare at the time, but it's a great pistol, so it was worth the wait.

I am sorry you had to deal with all that. This is basically exactly what I am expecting for the SA-35. I have already seen some LGS owners post that they are willing to order one and submit it as a sample as soon as they have their hands on it. Silver linings.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'd be interested in a Hi-Power from Springfield.

I do find something interesting though. I've read over and over in this thread how people are adamant that parts not be made in Brazil or wherever, and that it just HAS to be made in the USA. Food for thought - if the metallurgy is good and the specs are correct, does it really matter? Can anyone here look at a piece of metal and know for a fact where it was made?

There's the rub. You can't look at a piece of metal to see if the metallurgy is good.

Things are not like they were 40-50 years ago when there was a large gap in quality between what was made in the USA and what was made elsewhere. Modern technology and time has reduced that gap to a point on some things where it's just not a factor anymore. I wish that the words "Made in the USA" still represented what they did back then, but I'm not sure they do anymore. That's another debate for another thread though.

Even 50 years ago "Made in USA" wasn't what it once was. Substituting computer-driven machining for hand-finishing by a skilled gunsmith makes for cheaper, but the hand skills involved will wither away to the point that replace will substitute for repair.

Getting back to this pistol, if Springfield puts out a solid version of this pistol that's well made and functions properly, I'm in regardless of where the parts may have been made.

Aside from my niggling above, I'd have to say that the work of Fabrique Nationale was as good as any in the US.

There's a reason 50 year old Hi Powers bring the $$$ they do. Fit and finish were superb. Some say the T-prefix HPs were the finest Browning ever produced.

If SA can approach that level at their price point, I'd buy one myself.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    The question is, will it look as good and be as well made as this one, for 700 bucks?

Attachments

• 20210908_182951.jpg
      20210908_182951.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 238
    • 20210908_182930.jpg
      20210908_182930.jpg
      40.1 KB · Views: 226

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    One point of order... Wasn't the CZ75 supposed to be a modern version of the Hi-Power? If so, what the target market for this gun?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    They say they fixed the hammer bite? :party29: I'm in! My Portuguese/Belgian bites me worse than my 1911...even through gloves. :o

Hopefully it can take old mags in addition to the new "improved" ones :fingerscrossed:

All they did to "fix" hammer bite is to change from the pointed hammer as in post 54 to a rowel ring ended hammer.

If you don't try to do the "modern" grip holding the gun behind the slide, you won't get hammer bite.

Springfield is making a big deal about the Mec-Gar 15 round mag that has been available aftermarket for more than 10 years. It uses a hollow follower to let the spring completely compress inside the follower instead of under the follower. 10 round mags are available, but probably not from Springfield - MD buyers will probably just have to take the pistol without a mag, it wouldn't be worth the time to pin or block compared to just buying a 10 in MD. Get your 13's or 15's in DE or VA but MAKE SURE THEY ARE MEC-GARS

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Once they really get these $700 guns on the shelves in gunshops and in inventory of online shops, the biggest effect may be on the price of clones by FEG and Kareen, esp the ugly ones. If those fall back below $300 I may just buy another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom