• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I have decided I don't want to get out on the roof and deal with this Type A chimney install. So, anybody in the southern Carroll County area do this type of work and interested in the install? Send me a PM or an e-mail at fabsroman@aol.com. It is easier for me to work with e-mail, but will work with PMs too.

In the alternative, does anybody have any recommendations for an installer in the southern Carroll County area?

FYI - I already own the stove, a Woodstock Soapstone Company Ideal Steel Hybrid. Just need double wall black pipe and Type A chimney installed. There is a Type A chimney in place from the previous homeowners, but I think there is a fire hazard issue with the support box and it is terminated right next to a dormer and it is way below the roofline of the dormer.

Attachments

• Chimney #1.jpg
      Chimney #1.jpg
      87.6 KB · Views: 336
    • Chimney #2.jpg
      Chimney #2.jpg
      34 KB · Views: 330
    • Chimney #3.jpg
      Chimney #3.jpg
      20.1 KB · Views: 333

Off_paper

Apr 30, 2021
    AACo
    I personally had my pellet stove installed by Fireside Stone and Patio, and their website lists Carroll as within their service area. They do sales and service, so I wouldn't be surprised if they'll at least chat with you.
    https://www.firesidestone.com/

Totally agree re: the fire hazard concern, there's no way that's anywhere near code.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    What’s directly out the wall in the alcove? Possible to go out and up along exterior? Also doesn’t the cap thru the roof have to extent above the ridge line for draw? I’ve used an outfit in Gettysburg to put a liner in my chimney and hookup my Vermont Castings propane stove.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    What’s directly out the wall in the alcove? Possible to go out and up along exterior? Also doesn’t the cap thru the roof have to extent above the ridge line for draw? I’ve used an outfit in Gettysburg to put a liner in my chimney and hookup my Vermont Castings propane stove.

There are so many things wrong with this install that it is insane. I know the previous owners did the interior finish work in the garage. Lots of short cuts and disasters. The chimney itself has never been used. Nice and shiny on the inside.

The support box is supposed to extend down through the drywall and the drywall is not supposed to be around that circle. The chimney coming through the roof line needs to be higher than the dormer that it is next to. Needs to be 3 feet higher than the top of the dormer.

All I keep telling myself is that we got this place for a song and a dance because of all the little things that were wrong with it. Pretty sure a home inspector would have had a field day with this place.

I'll make some more calls tomorrow to see if I can get this taken care of. Sucks not being able to do the work myself. Sucks getting old, looking at the pitch of the roof, and saying "No way I'm going out there."

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I personally had my pellet stove installed by Fireside Stone and Patio, and their website lists Carroll as within their service area. They do sales and service, so I wouldn't be surprised if they'll at least chat with you.
    https://www.firesidestone.com/

Totally agree re: the fire hazard concern, there's no way that's anywhere near code.

Fireside Stone and Patio will only install stoves that they sell. The lady on the phone, Zoe, was nice enough to give me the name and number of a company that might still be doing installations of wood stoves. So, off to call that number.

This reminds me of my wood burning furnace install. Nobody wanted to touch it. So, I had to do it myself.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    https://columbiachimney.com/

Been dealing with them for years, owner Rob is first class act. They did my parents wood stove in Eldersburg couple years back.

He has also done some chimney work and did our install as well.

They will not install a stove that is not purchased from them. Didn't even sound like they wanted to install a stove purchased from them. Between the voice mail I left asking to install my current stove and their return call, I discussed the matter with my wife and we decided that a smaller stove would be optimal for my office space and that we would put the Woodstock stove in the basement of the house.

So, offered to buy a smaller stove from Columbia Chimney and then the install date which was initially January, moved to February, and there would be an "inspection fee" to look at my current chimney even though I told the lady that there is no way the current chimney could be used the way it is. There was a fee for them to come out to give me an estimate on the stove/chimney install. That was the last straw for me on that call. Told her I appreciated the return call, but it did not sound like they really wanted to do the work or needed the work, and that I would call somebody else.

Last time I went down this road of hiring somebody to do home improvement work was a decade ago. Now, I remember why I hate this entire process and usually just do things myself.

Back to the drawing board I go.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    They will not install a stove that is not purchased from them. Didn't even sound like they wanted to install a stove purchased from them. Between the voice mail I left asking to install my current stove and their return call, I discussed the matter with my wife and we decided that a smaller stove would be optimal for my office space and that we would put the Woodstock stove in the basement of the house.

So, offered to buy a smaller stove from Columbia Chimney and then the install date which was initially January, moved to February, and there would be an "inspection fee" to look at my current chimney even though I told the lady that there is no way the current chimney could be used the way it is. There was a fee for them to come out to give me an estimate on the stove/chimney install. That was the last straw for me on that call. Told her I appreciated the return call, but it did not sound like they really wanted to do the work or needed the work, and that I would call somebody else.

Last time I went down this road of hiring somebody to do home improvement work was a decade ago. Now, I remember why I hate this entire process and usually just do things myself.

Back to the drawing board I go.

Wow, that’s certainly not been my experience. Only thing I can say is as much as I disagree with it can see them not wanted to install and work on a chimney without inspection. Too many variables and they would be last person to touch so owning the liability if something was not right. Fee to come out to give you an estimate would be a no go for me as well. F that.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Wow, that’s certainly not been my experience. Only thing I can say is as much as I disagree with it can see them not wanted to install and work on a chimney without inspection. Too many variables and they would be last person to touch so owning the liability if something was not right. Fee to come out to give you an estimate would be a no go for me as well. F that.

Yeah, I told the lady that an inspection was unnecessary and that a new chimney was needed. Hell, I would have been fine if she had said, "If we come out there and your chimney is fine, we'll charge you for the trip." It was as if she was coming up with one thing after another. First, I had to wait until January. I'm fine with that. Then, a million questions about whether there was a chimney already in place. There is, but I need it replaced. It was just a tough conversation.

I'm going to get back at it in the morning and see if I can finally get something lined up. Miller's is coming out on November 18th to give me an estimate, but I think I am going to call them back and ask about a smaller stove for the area I want to heat.

Nothing in life can be simple.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I have decided I don't want to get out on the roof and deal with this Type A chimney install. So, anybody in the southern Carroll County area do this type of work and interested in the install? Send me a PM or an e-mail at fabsroman@aol.com. It is easier for me to work with e-mail, but will work with PMs too.

In the alternative, does anybody have any recommendations for an installer in the southern Carroll County area?

FYI - I already own the stove, a Woodstock Soapstone Company Ideal Steel Hybrid. Just need double wall black pipe and Type A chimney installed. There is a Type A chimney in place from the previous homeowners, but I think there is a fire hazard issue with the support box and it is terminated right next to a dormer and it is way below the roofline of the dormer.

Who ever did that work did you no favors. No ceiling pan, the chimney at a minimum needs to be 2 foot above the peak of the house not just the dormer. Also, most wood stove manufacturers have clearance requirement form 18" to 36" from walls including the stove pipe which between the stove and ceiling pan is not insulated. The entire chimney may need to be removed and relocated for proper stove clearance to be done right. Putting elbows and additional piping may not fly to pass inspection. Also, your home owners insurance may not cover your house if something happens. I have done several wood and pellet stove installations on my previous homes and my current home. I always have them inspected by a chimney repair company. If you follow the manufacturers installation listed in the stoves operation manual you can always do it yourself. If you do not or someone else did it you assume all liability. That is probably other stove companies will not finish the installation.

Try these guys they do repairs.

https://www.chimney.com/chimney-rep...m=chimney repairs&utm_content=Chimney Repairs

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom