• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    Hi all,

I have a Henry carbine in .41 mag and since I actually have ammo for it, I was thinking about using it on deer next month. I plan on using the Remington 210 gr JSP HTP’s.

Have any of you used these or anything similar on deer? If so, how did they perform ?

Thanks!

K

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I have a Marlin lever action cowboy 24" barrel in .44 Mag. I use my handloads 240 gr. jacketed solid point over 22.0 gr. of Hodgdon 110. Last buck I took with it at 50 yrds. dropped it in it's tracks. I think you will be good with the .41 Mag. I always liked the .41 Mag. but never owned one. Good luck to ya!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I am jealous of your Henry .41 magnum carbine. I'm going to guess that you may have one of the last ones to be made in that chambering. Remind me to hate you! :)

I have not used that specific bullet, and my .41 mag hunting use has been handgun. But I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use your mentioned combination on deer. I would expect some expansion, with likely through and through penetration with a JSP out of that carbine.

Good luck! Let us know how that combo performs if you're able. There are a handful of .41 fans here.

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    I am jealous of your Henry .41 magnum carbine. I'm going to guess that you may have one of the last ones to be made in that chambering. Remind me to hate you! :)

I have not used that specific bullet, and my .41 mag hunting use has been handgun. But I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use your mentioned combination on deer. I would expect some expansion, with likely through and through penetration with a JSP out of that carbine.

Good luck! Let us know how that combo performs if you're able. There are a handful of .41 fans here.

I just checked their website - looks like it’s still being offered (?)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I just checked their website - looks like it’s still being offered (?)

Thanks! Yes, I've seen them listed still, but have not seen them available. Also telling I think, is that the .41 didn't make the transition over to the new side gate models. That tells me that they're likely phasing out the chambering. Guessing that Ruger (Marlin) won't be offering one either.

Hold on to that carbine! Great round! And if I had to make a bet, I'd bet that you won't see a . 41 lever action being mass produced again.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    Interested in this thread. I picked up a Henry in 41mag and have gathered plenty of reloading supplies. I'll be reporting after some extensive testing.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    My brother and I both shot big wild boar with the 41 magnum using handguns, his a Ruger Blackhawk and mine a S&W 57. I was with him watching, both were about 200 pounds about 35 yards. Boars are tough and it was like shooting into a bag of sand. He hit his four or five times, the first couple through the snout, then the shoulders, he emptied his gun and I handed him mine for a final kill shot. Mine I hit square through the shoulder, he turned to run and the guide said you missed, I hit him again through the opposite shoulder, then hit a front leg where he fell and died. We were using Speer bullets, I think 210 gr. My other brother and cousin used 44 magnum handguns with Sierra bullet. The half jacket Speers lost their nose and stuck under the hide far side. The Sierras mushroomed perfectly. My other cousin shot his with a 45 caliber Ruger Old Army cap and ball revolver, four or five shots stopped it and killed it.
    Your 41 magnum in a carbine should be fine, it won't ruin much meat but you'd better hit him square and not too far.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My brother and I both shot big wild boar with the 41 magnum using handguns, his a Ruger Blackhawk and mine a S&W 57. I was with him watching, both were about 200 pounds about 35 yards. Boars are tough and it was like shooting into a bag of sand. He hit his four or five times, the first couple through the snout, then the shoulders, he emptied his gun and I handed him mine for a final kill shot. Mine I hit square through the shoulder, he turned to run and the guide said you missed, I hit him again through the opposite shoulder, then hit a front leg where he fell and died. We were using Speer bullets, I think 210 gr. My other brother and cousin used 44 magnum handguns with Sierra bullet. The half jacket Speers lost their nose and stuck under the hide far side. The Sierras mushroomed perfectly. My other cousin shot his with a 45 caliber Ruger Old Army cap and ball revolver, four or five shots stopped it and killed it.
    Your 41 magnum in a carbine should be fine, it won't ruin much meat but you'd better hit him square and not too far.
    Damn! Those boars are tough! They absorbed a lot of hard hits before finally dropping.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    41mag from a rifle will do fine on md deer. Will do fine from a handgun for that matter.

I may have more factory ammo for that if you run out, would need to check (am in HoCo also). I mostly handload for mine now.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Hi all,

I have a Henry carbine in .41 mag and since I actually have ammo for it, I was thinking about using it on deer next month. I plan on using the Remington 210 gr JSP HTP’s.

Have any of you used these or anything similar on deer? If so, how did they perform ?

Thanks!

K

I've used the Rem 210 JSPs from a 6.5" Blackhawk to take a few deer and they worked well. I assume from a carbine barrel they'd do fine. Prior to the WuFlu, TargetSportsUSA had 99+ boxes of this load in stock for $19.99/50. Ah, the good 'ol days....

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    I've used the Rem 210 JSPs from a 6.5" Blackhawk to take a few deer and they worked well. I assume from a carbine barrel they'd do fine. Prior to the WuFlu, TargetSportsUSA had 99+ boxes of this load in stock for $19.99/50. Ah, the good 'ol days....

Cool! Yes I bought one of the last cases from them:innocent0. Did you get through and through penetration? How was the blood trail?

K

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    OP, that Remington load is loaded pretty warm. Not Underwood hot, but pretty good for factory. You'll be fine.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Cool! Yes I bought one of the last cases from them:innocent0. Did you get through and through penetration? How was the blood trail?

K

All of them penetrated fully. I wasn't necessarily impressed by the exit holes, almost like very little expansion. But then I didn't really hit significant bones either.

The blood trails were better from those I shot from a treestand, but that's to be expected when the exit hole is low on the body. But none were too hard to find or follow. All my shots were under 30 yards, farthest run was maybe 75 yards or so.

This may seem weird, but in my experience I havent noticed a whole lot of difference in "killing power" between the 45 Colt, 44, 41, or 357 mags on deer. Properly placed bullets of good design and construction seem to work well, regardless of caliber, weight, or velocity.

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    All of them penetrated fully. I wasn't necessarily impressed by the exit holes, almost like very little expansion. But then I didn't really hit significant bones either.

The blood trails were better from those I shot from a treestand, but that's to be expected when the exit hole is low on the body. But none were too hard to find or follow. All my shots were under 30 yards, farthest run was maybe 75 yards or so.

This may seem weird, but in my experience I havent noticed a whole lot of difference in "killing power" between the 45 Colt, 44, 41, or 357 mags on deer. Properly placed bullets of good design and construction seem to work well, regardless of caliber, weight, or velocity.

Thanks so much for the response. As for the various calibers, were they all handguns or fired out of rifles ? I ask because I’ve been thinking about using a .357 revolver with Buffalo Bore ammo at some point. I figured that combo, try to stay within bow hunting limits and it should work.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Thanks so much for the response. As for the various calibers, were they all handguns or fired out of rifles ? I ask because I’ve been thinking about using a .357 revolver with Buffalo Bore ammo at some point. I figured that combo, try to stay within bow hunting limits and it should work.

They were all out of various Blackhawks. The last few years, I've used a 6.5" NM 357 a lot. Recoil is tame even with 180 gr loads and the 357 seems to kill them just as quick as the bigger bores.

All my shots are short range (30ish yards max) so good hits are easy. The property is mostly in young planted pines; that and another place with a picture perfect funnel between a creek and field corner. That stand is 15 yards from the path that EVERY deer seems to walk down offering perfect broadside shots.

Every deer I've shot is average size, biggest was a big old doe that dressed out at 123 pounds. I shoot them for eating, so not looking for (nor really wanting) monsters. Your 357 will work fine at bow ranges if you hit vitals. Practice, practice, practice. Good luck!

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Your stepping on you load pretty good in that 357 to hit the energy required. Whats your load. I was able to do it with lots of 2400 with a 158.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Buffalo Bore, Underwood, Doubletap, Grizzly Cartridge, PMC, and PPU all make loads that hit 700 ft/lbs in a revolver. I use the Grizzly 180 WFNs in the pines as I sometimes have to take a shot through the shoulders. The PPU 158 JHPs when hunting the funnel.

FWIW, down in Accomac County, VA with the 357, I've shot deer with Fed 158 JHPs, Rem 158 SJHPs, Rem 180 SJHPs, and Americam Eagle 158 JSPs. None will make MD minimums, but every one kills deer just fine at short range. With exits on broadside shots. MD hunting reg writers have no idea what they're doing or imposing on hunters.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Have hunted with a Ruger SBH bisley 41mag and one in 45lc for years.... FL and GA... never an issue. Always a pass through.... not sure why you are shooting the boar through the snout... hell, I've seen a 17hmr take pigs out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom