• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    My first HQL renewal is coming up in a couple of years. I was idly curious. Does MSP send out notifications that renewals are coming up like Utah carry permit or do I have to remember and apply at the appropriate time? I saw on the MSP website that they no longer issue physical cards but nothing about notifications. I'm hoping, since they get money to send an email and all :)

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    My guess is they haven't even figured it out yet. There will be a last min scramble to accommodate the first wave of renewals. They will kick they can as far down the road as they can and then slap a rushed plan together. I predict a total Charlie Foxtrot.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    FWIW, my HQL trainer specifically told us (2014) that MSP will NOT notify of expiration, it is up to the serf to track and renew the HQL.

YMMV

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    You mean you have to go thru all the BS and expense again? Why wouldn't a NICS check suffice to demonstrate your current squeaky-clean record?

I can't say how much I loathe this stinking state, and the sleazy assholes who write its laws.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    You mean you have to go thru all the BS and expense again? Why wouldn't a NICS check suffice to demonstrate your current squeaky-clean record?

I can't say how much I loathe this stinking state, and the sleazy assholes who write its laws.

Because the General Assembly wants to make gun ownership as difficult as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Since no one has had to renew it, no one knows how renewals will go. Probably not even MSP.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Huh? What? No, you don’t have to go through all of that. It is just a renewal fee. MSP I am sure will run your info through NICS and state databases, but no new finger prints or anything else like that. $20, no fingerprints needed.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Since no one has had to renew it, no one knows how renewals will go. Probably not even MSP.

I guess in theory maybe they’ll change their mind on finger prints, but MSP has said for years new fingerprints are not required. Id suspect you’ll fill out something similar to a 77r attesting you don’t molest anyone’s sensibilities, pay a $20 fee and wait 2-4 weeks.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If they gave it any thought at all back in 2013, they probably assumed that by 2023 the Revolution would have transformed the world so completely, that there would be no need to renew HQLs.

They seem to be right on track.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    May be a dumb question, but I have an HQL. Moved out of Maryland. I can’t think of any reason to need it. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A non-Maryland resident would have no use for it. Unless you feel the urge to donate money to Maryland one more time.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    ok, I thought I missed something on the MSP website. I'll put it on my calendar. Never know when some sweet little thing will decide to follow me home :)

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    My son has a concealed carry permit from NC. Became null and void when he moved back to Maryland. Also has a Maryland Hunter’s Safety certificate from years ago. Will either one of those trainings exempt him from the training required to obtain a Maryland HQL? Does he even need a HQL with those certificates? I thought I read of some type of exemption.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    My son has a concealed carry permit from NC. Became null and void when he moved back to Maryland. Also has a Maryland Hunter’s Safety certificate from years ago. Will either one of those trainings exempt him from the training required to obtain a Maryland HQL? Does he even need a HQL with those certificates? I thought I read of some type of exemption.

Hunter safety is good forever, as a training exemption.

Neither one works as an exemption to needing the HQL for a transfer.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If he already owns a "regulated firearm," such as any handgun at all, he can claim that as his training exemption.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If he already owns a "regulated firearm," such as any handgun at all, he can claim that as his training exemption.

I think that firearm has to be on file with MD. He can always voluntarily register a regulated firearm with MSPLD thru the website.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I think that firearm has to be on file with MD. He can always voluntarily register a regulated firearm with MSPLD thru the website.

Nope, nothing in state statute requires the regulated firearm to be "on file" with MSP. But, once his son moves into the state, they become registered per Maryland law once he fills out the paperwork within 90 days of becoming a resident.

And for those that moved into the state before 2013, that didn't have to register anything, they can use any of those regulated firearms as a training exemption.

There are a whole lot of other examples of "unregistered firearms" that can be used as a training exemption.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

No, it does not.

And registration is NOT voluntary if he moved back to MD after Sept 30, 2013.

Registration for new or returning residents is required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom