• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you have a card, it should be right under the HQL number in red. If you were in the first wave of folks who got one, it should be expiring early fall 2023.

I’ve got awhile on mine. It wasn’t THE last physical, laminated HQL. But I think I got mine the last year they were doing those.

Maybe as part of NYSRPA SCOTUS case they’ll ditch HQLs? I am sure no. But I can hope.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I’ve got awhile on mine. It wasn’t THE last physical, laminated HQL. But I think I got mine the last year they were doing those.

Maybe as part of NYSRPA SCOTUS case they’ll ditch HQLs? I am sure no. But I can hope.

The sensible thing would to make the HQL a carry permit. They vetting process for an HQL is similar to most states permits.

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    Looks like he’s exempt from training a couple of ways. How about finger printing? He was finger printed for his NC permit. Does he have to do it again in MD?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If he already owns a "regulated firearm," such as any handgun at all, he can claim that as his training exemption.

I think that firearm has to be on file with MD. He can always voluntarily register a regulated firearm with MSPLD thru the website.

I never got an HQL, because, as the MSP knows perfectly well, I already own enough regulated firearms.
    So it's been awhile since I looked at the HQL application form.

However I believe there is an area in which one can enter the serial number of a handgun one already owns as a training exemption. If you use a gun which is not already in the State Police database, such as that Luger which grampaw captured from General Rommel, then I assume you will be effectively "registering" it.

1) You could thus "sacrifice" that gun you already own which is not already "registered."

2) You could use the serial number of a "registered" gun you already own. This is what I would probably do, because what the hell.

3) You could buy a handgun which is HQL exempt, that is, any C&R eligible handgun, and then use that as an exemption from the training. Gun shops usually have a few older handguns for sale. Anything at least 50 years old is exempt from the HQL.

4) I believe you could buy a reproduction "black powder" revolver (I like the 1851 Navy), and use that gun's serial number. If it has a serial number, I'm pretty sure you could register a flintlock horse pistol.

5) I'm pretty sure you could register a BB gun or an airsoft pistol if if has a serial number. That might be fun.

6) I understand you can use an AR15 lower as a training exemption. $60 bucks from Palmetto.

7) I think you can still do the Texas Hunter Safety course online, and use that for a training exemption.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Anything that makes sense is forbidden in MD law. I think its somewhere in the state constitution :rolleyes:

At least in this case it makes sense. Unless there would be a way to transfer your prints to Maryland, the point is to use them as part of searching the various Maryland databases to see if you are prohibited.

Prints and a NC search isn’t going to show up anything from Maryland.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I never got an HQL, because, as the MSP knows perfectly well, I already own enough regulated firearms.
    So it's been awhile since I looked at the HQL application form.

However I believe there is an area in which one can enter the serial number of a handgun one already owns as a training exemption. If you use a gun which is not already in the State Police database, such as that Luger which grampaw captured from General Rommel, then I assume you will be effectively "registering" it.

1) You could thus "sacrifice" that gun you already own which is not already "registered."

2) You could use the serial number of a "registered" gun you already own. This is what I would probably do, because what the hell.

3) You could buy a handgun which is HQL exempt, that is, any C&R eligible handgun, and then use that as an exemption from the training. Gun shops usually have a few older handguns for sale. Anything at least 50 years old is exempt from the HQL.

4) I believe you could buy a reproduction "black powder" revolver (I like the 1851 Navy), and use that gun's serial number. If it has a serial number, I'm pretty sure you could register a flintlock horse pistol.

5) I'm pretty sure you could register a BB gun or an airsoft pistol if if has a serial number. That might be fun.

6) I understand you can use an AR15 lower as a training exemption. $60 bucks from Palmetto.

7) I think you can still do the Texas Hunter Safety course online, and use that for a training exemption.

4 and 5 would technically be fraud. They aren’t regulated firearms. Do so at your peril of them ever finding out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom