• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    I think I’ll go ahead and take classes in early June and apply. Roll the dice.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I think I’ll go ahead and take classes in early June and apply. Roll the dice.

Ok now I have a question. When you take the 16 hour training course, how long is that valid? If you take the course today and apply a year from now will they accept the course or need to do it over? I belive the HQL traing is good for 2 years and I was wondering if this would be similar.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    I suggest getting your training now. Shop for a good instructor, convenient time, and fair price. It will be ready when you need it. Yes, you are gambling on a favorable SCOTUS ruling, but its a pretty good bet.

If and when Maryland loosens the Carry restrictions, training, and (especially) MSP licencing, are going to be overwhelmed by the increased demand. You will be positioned to apply right away, first in line.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Wet Blanket Mode:

I have no expectation that a positive (for us) ruling on NY will turn into a policy/law change in MD any time soon thereafter. Assuming the ruling isn’t so narrow it doesn’t apply to us in MD, somebody will have to chase the matter through an entirely new round of litigation that challenges the MD law, citing the presumptive NY ruling. Then that has to grind through months or years of hearings, MD government foot dragging and challenges, appeals, etc. could literally take years.

If you qualify for a permit now, I’d just do the traditional dance sooner than later. Because this will not be a quick thing, at all.

Past experience with MSP and Federal Court rulings has shown that they act on them almost immediately and offer the relief advised by the courts.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The full wet blanket scenario is completely possible, but I expect the MD General Assembly to go into Special Session in July to increase the restrictions the court will continue to allow - increasing the application fee and the amount of required training. The justices were also clear that they favor restrictions on where one can carry, all of the justices, not just the liberals. Location restrictions could be preemptively considered during the regular session with no penalty to the antis.

The legislature can't go into special session unless the Governor calls one. I doubt he will call one for this even if he is petitioned to do so.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I hope MDGA don’t drag their feet. I’m cautiously optimistic about the outcome of the court case.

The MGA wouldn't act on changing the law until the next legislative session, which would be January of 2023. In the mean time, any law that has been struck down by a court ruling would be null and void, and Maryland would become a shall Issue state, until such time as the legislature corrects that and the law goes into affect. So, ruling by June 2022, G&S struck don and Maryland becomes shall issue, legislature convenes in January, passes a law by April, if it's not vetoed by Hogan, then it takes affect Oct 1.

So 16 month of shall issue.

Of course, if Hogan vetoes it, it can't be over ridden in the next session and you can add another 12 months to that.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    not sure it matters. When San Diego went shall issue after Peruta the interviews were booked two years out. Seems unlikely to me they will drop the interview process, and there are only so many interviews they can do.

The first year will be bumpy to say the least. No matter when you apply you will probably get your permit in 2024.

Difference between SD and Maryland, is that Maryland has a timeframe codifid in State Statute, California does not.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    We've been thru that before during the three week window post Wollard , pre Stay ( including me personally ) . MSP just shrugs and says to the effect of " We're backed up . We'll call you when we're ready " .

They did hire some Contract Investigators to work on the backlog , but nowhere near enough to be close to the 90 days .

I understand what the OP seeks .. But it random luck to guess in advance to hit a 3 day or so window somewhere within a 3 or 4 month period, to have 50/50 overall odds of desired results .

They also got taken to court for that, and lost, several times.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Ok now I have a question. When you take the 16 hour training course, how long is that valid? If you take the course today and apply a year from now will they accept the course or need to do it over? I belive the HQL traing is good for 2 years and I was wondering if this would be similar.

Good for 2 years

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Your best bet is to start your own business. That is how I got my W&C in MD. As long as you can demonstrate you own a legitimate business with deposits, you should be GTG.

I agree, that’s the only reason I started my business. You don’t even have to run a successful business. Become a sole proprietorship and sell umbrellas to yourself and your family. I’d love to not have to have done it but it’s worked out okay in my case.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Good for 2 years

Though this is just the sort of thing that a MDGA with their noses bent about this would change out of spite. They might see a forced "shall issue" condition as a playground for permits (with higher fees - ah, more sweet, sweet tax revenue!) that are only good for one year, always require the same or even more classroom time every year, require liability insurance, or who knows what. The state's general assembly has some history of considering literally spite-based vengeance legislation, and the Bloombots will be going full throttle convincing state legislators that it's Blood In The Streets! time, etc.

Don't get me wrong: I'm hopeful that we get a shall issue state, and am thinking of asking the missus to consider a class soon - a definite gamble that the same training will suffice (you KNOW they're not going to lower the requirement), and that a revised system will still honor that training for long enough for the MSP to deal with the inevitable tidal wave of applications.

The OP is asking a solid, sensible question ... I'm just not optimistic that this is going to be anything like throwing a light switch.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    If just 5% of Maryland residents want a permit that will be 300,000 people applying for them. That is a far cry from the 18,000 + or - that have now.

Taking the 18000 and saying that 1/3 of them expire each year that is 6000 permits issued each year. Devide 6000 by the number if work days (261) you get 23 permits a day issued.

300,000 ÷23 = 13,043 days or 49.97 roughly 50 years for first round of permits.

Nobody

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If just 5% of Maryland residents want a permit that will be 300,000 people applying for them. That is a far cry from the 18,000 + or - that have now.

Taking the 18000 and saying that 1/3 of them expire each year that is 6000 permits issued each year. Devide 6000 by the number if work days (261) you get 23 permits a day issued.

Talk about the lefty state legislature finding a reason to Defund The Police! Gosh, sorry, we just don't have the budget to hire another handful of state troopers to make that go any faster, so not sorry. OK, OK, here's a few temporary outside contractors, which should cut it down to only 25 years.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Nobody
    That won’t fly. Poor Maryland. They are going to be dipping their wee-wee in the legal meat grinder for years if they don’t wake up and smell the freedom.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    When the Supreme Court makes a ruling, it’s instant. Take the Taser ban in 2015. They made their ruling and the few jurisdictions in Maryland instantly nullified their laws. They all had to have special sessions (I think Annapolis waited until regular session), but their laws were unenforceable after the court ruling. I have no doubt that Maryland will follow suit in this case. They don’t have much of a choice. They can still require a reason for a handgun permit, they just can’t deny someone based on that reason.

Now, if someone put “zombie apocalypse”, that might delay processing… LOL. People need to not be smart asses and just put “self defense” as the reason.

This depends on the verbage of the decision.

When issuing Cert, the court changed whether they would rule on the constitionallity of the law (as the plaintiffs originally pleaded) or whether the 2 plantiffs specifically (and only) are affected. Who, where and how much is affected is completely variable under the exact verbage of the decision. Its possible (but unlikely) that the court will rule in favor of the plaintiffs, but so narrowly defined in the decision that no one else is affected. The other unlikely outcome is that the court will completely invalidate the NY law; in the oral arguements the 2A friendly justices hinted that they think there are limits to where one can carry.

So, we are on pins and needles not only whether the court rules in favor of the plaintiffs, but also how widely the decision is written.

If you have the $300-$400 to spare for the course and ammo you need for it (yeah, some instructors have you bring as much as 250 rounds, you'll probably shoot at least 100), take the course now and avoid the likely rush after the decision. At the same time, I would be prepared to IMMEDIATELY APPLY after (not before) the SC decision and before MGA can change the requirement for training etc.

Cost not withstanding, I do not know of anyone who did not both enjoy and learn something from a 16 hour CCW class. Its worth doing even if you can't get a CCW right now in MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom