• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twybyll

Jan 20, 2021
    MD
    I just started foraging these this year while out in the woods gathering paw paws. Anyone have any recommendations for a good cracker that can open hickory nuts and black walnuts too, if possible? Sledgehammer works of course, but hard to get it at the right power to open but not demolish the nut meat.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    On the farm we would throw/ put walnuts on road to the barn and run them over for a period . It would get the green husk off .Which is just nasty . pressure was them on a steel grate we had . Always like using a nice pair of pliers or I have used a vice . Never messed with hickory nuts .we had chestnut trees also .Those things .. like chestnuts but those spiked balls hurt . Anyway farm is no more . Days gone by.

DonS

Feb 28, 2018
    We had Hickory Nuts for years at our old house. I used a hammer. The only thing that would do it from what I had. Works well, but not worth the effort. They are very tasty.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I just started foraging these this year while out in the woods gathering paw paws. Anyone have any recommendations for a good cracker that can open hickory nuts and black walnuts too, if possible? Sledgehammer works of course, but hard to get it at the right power to open but not demolish the nut meat.

You need a hammer and hard surface, tap them standing up on their ends and you will need a nut pick. They are a lot of work but tasty in banana bread and we make a pie with them using a pecan pie recipe.

Attachments

• nuts.jpg
      nuts.jpg
      135.7 KB · Views: 169

twybyll

Jan 20, 2021
    MD
    You need a hammer and hard surface, tap them standing up on their ends and you will need a nut pick. They are a lot of work but tasty in banana bread and we make a pie with them using a pecan pie recipe.

Thanks for the tip, I was whacking them on the side and they were either making my sledge bounce off or exploding and shooting pieces all over the place. I figured how to hold them with my pliers and whack them on the ends which worked better.

Still going to try other tips I saw on youtube and try and get nice halves out of them. The nuts dented my workbench wood vice faces though! I collected several pounds Sunday and the trees still have more hanging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom