• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    Was it 2 years ago?

5 years ago?

What year was the best year to buy ammo?

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Summer of 54, I could go down to the penny store and buy 5 rounds of 22LR.

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    Hey sorry guys.... I'm just trying to get an idea of when I should start buying.... probably going to put our tax return and half our savings into ammo.... trying time it.

appreciate the advice...

Let's go brandon!

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey sorry guys.... I'm just trying to get an idea of when I should start buying.... probably going to put our tax return and half our savings into ammo.... trying time it.

appreciate the advice...

Let's go brandon!

Not a financial advisor but that sounds like a pretty bad idea. I’d invest your tax return (home repair, stocks, crypto etc.) instead of buying a lot of overpriced ammo in the current market.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Not a financial advisor but that sounds like a pretty bad idea. I’d invest your tax return (home repair, stocks, crypto etc.) instead of buying a lot of overpriced ammo in the current market.

The same could be said for crypto and stocks. 2 years ago I was selling a case of 9mm for $180 now it’s $380.

proto05

Dec 23, 2016
    Balto county
    2017 I remember buying 1000 Wolf brass case .223 at 30 cents/round shipped around Black Friday.
    30-06 for the garand was like .75 cpr,
    762x39 was like .26 cpr,
    .45 and 9mm were maybe under .20 cpr, can’t recall

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Ammo was cheaper in the past, so was everything else. Wouldn’t make sound financial strategy to invest a large portion of savings into ammo, many options with better ROI as others have called out.

Scott P

Funny...like a clown
    Jan 29, 2013
    St. Mary's
    February 2020, Lucky Gunner was selling frontier 5.56 for $280 a case. When four boxes got here, it was about 30 cents per round.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

appreciate the advice...

Let's go brandon!

That sounds like a really bad idea. Prices are still high from the covid and politically induced 'drought'. They have dropped slightly as availabity has improved and may continue to do so.

I suggest you keep your savings and buy a few boxes or a case now and then when you have extra money. If you see some at a good price buy more. If you see some at a bad price skip it.

Build a collection over time.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/investing/dollar-cost-averaging/

https://intelligent.schwab.com/article/dollar-cost-averaging

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    That sounds like a really bad idea. Prices are still high from the covid and politically induced 'drought'. They have dropped slightly as availabity has improved and may continue to do so.

I suggest you keep your savings and buy a few boxes or a case now and then when you have extra money. If you see some at a good price buy more. If you see some at a bad price skip it.

Build a collection over time.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/investing/dollar-cost-averaging/

https://intelligent.schwab.com/article/dollar-cost-averaging

Police departments are reaching out for ammo for training purposes because manufacturing is still behind. PMC was filling in the gap for awhile but now they are affected by the backlog at the ports. I foresee where we are at for at least a few more years, if there’s no other panic buys in the meantime.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/vista-outdoors-ammunition-backlog-billion.amp

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Late 80's ammo and guns cheap. I was buying imported Military ammo through Norinco. The same ones importing the the cheap SKS rifles
    Chinese ammo import ban is the single biggest reason for higher prices.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I’m happy to do my best to help fellow forum members stock up deep and cheap but it’s cheap relative to today’s prices.

Was it 2 years ago?

5 years ago?

What year was the best year to buy ammo?

Summer of 2019 ammo was really inexpensive and there were manufacturer rebates on top of that. When the COVID panic started in early 2020, prices went up. When George Floyd died, supplies really dried up and prices climbed even further.
    My recollection is that autumn 2020 to winter 2020/2021 is when the prices and availability were the worst.
    I agree with the others to not invest in ammo right now. Buy a case or two of each caliber you shoot, but now is not the time to stock up for investment purposes.

ETA- The time to invest was when AmmoJon first started noticing something odd in the pipeline. He warned us all, but most of us didn't predict how bad it was going to get in short order. (It wasn't too long ago that he was "gouging" customers with $250 cases of 9mm)

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Agree with others prior 2019.thinking about 10 or so years ago prices sky rocketed and panic buying .Maybe right when Obama went in prices went up . Before him things where good and a lot less expensive.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Summer of 2019 ammo was really inexpensive and there were manufacturer rebates on top of that. When the COVID panic started in early 2020, prices went up. When George Floyd died, supplies really dried up and prices climbed even further.
    My recollection is that autumn 2020 to winter 2020/2021 is when the prices and availability were the worst.
    I agree with the others to not invest in ammo right now. Buy a case or two of each caliber you shoot, but now is not the time to stock up for investment purposes.

ETA- The time to invest was when AmmoJon first started noticing something odd in the pipeline. He warned us all, but most of us didn't predict how bad it was going to get in short order. (It wasn't too long ago that he was "gouging" customers with $250 cases of 9mm)

Yep. In the summer of 2019, ammo and primers both could be had in abundance, and with additional rebates.

That party surely ended.

DENWA

May 5, 2008
    Before Clinton got elected was the lowest I could remember 308-7.62x51 was $85/1000 for brass milspec and SKS + 1k ammo for it were like $100-150 at every gun show.

Before Obama got elected was still getting 7.62x 39 for $100/1k

But in recent memory 2019 was a good last time to buy.

9mm Blazer Brass was ~$160/1k on sale and routinely ~$180/1k

That was sitting at ~$650/1k a few weeks back if you could find it.

Just wait until the next republican get elected before you buy or shoot any more ammo

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom