• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That metal does Not need refinishing .

Unless there are major dings in the stock not shown in the pic , the most it could need is good cleaning of sweat and crud from checkering , and coat of Renaissance Wax .

Fl1p

May 25, 2020
    That metal does Not need refinishing .

Unless there are major dings in the stock not shown in the pic , the most it could need is good cleaning of sweat and crud from checkering , and coat of Renaissance Wax .

Other side of the stock is missing a nice chunk. Going to ask about that at a later date.

I think I’ll give it a deep clean and go from there. My wife thinks we should sbs it. But I kind of like it the way it sits now, just need to clean it up and make sure that everything looks fine.

It’s going to stay in the family, so I’m really not worried about “value” but I also don’t want to mess it up either.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Do not take sandpaper to wood.. ever. Deep clean with alcohol and 4 ought steel wool and wipe dirt and debris out of wood. Let dry and you can hand rub some tung/linseed oil or anything else to help preserve what is there.
    I'm not sure I completely agree with that. If you're doing a refinish and not just a preservation, at times the grain becomes raised, and smoothing it back down with some careful sanding is, IMO, not a bad idea, especially if you're doing a BLO refinish. Sanding is part of almost any refinish of anything - even 0000 steel wool sands wood.

UPSguy

WWII enthusiast
    Dec 31, 2020
    Carroll co
    I'm not sure I completely agree with that. If you're doing a refinish and not just a preservation, at times the grain becomes raised, and smoothing it back down with some careful sanding is, IMO, not a bad idea, especially if you're doing a BLO refinish. Sanding is part of almost any refinish of anything - even 0000 steel wool sands wood.

I renounce my last post to an extent. I agree with you on that. It also depends on if you are refinishing or restoring and what you are looking to do. If it is collectable and valuable in the state it’s in, might be in your interest to keep as is or restore what is there without taking away from it. If you dont care and want looks over originality, then full refinish might be a better option with sanding involved.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Cold bluing works well when done right. I've had excellent results using Birchwood Casey Super Blue. As long as you prep the metal correctly you can get results that rival hot rust bluing. Check out some YouTube videos on cold bluing for some tips on getting good results. Also that gun is not a collector item that you will destroy the value of by refinishing. If anything, you will increase the value if you do a good job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom