Does Maryland now require background check through FFL for ALL private transfers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Isn't there an exclusion for sales between 2 FFL03's?
    Maybe, you have to decide for yourself based on the bills wording.

It certainly exists if it is a c&r long gun.

It might exist on any long gun where the buyer is a licensee (03 is a licensee too) the way the bill is worded.

IANAL

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Maybe, you have to decide for yourself based on the bills wording.

It certainly exists if it is a c&r long gun.

It might exist on any long gun where the buyer is a licensee (03 is a licensee too) the way the bill is worded.

IANAL

That’s what it looks like. However, BGOS here. I’ll only be taking the C&R long gun interpretation until a DAG or the AG gives an interpretation of the law.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    IANAL but In a nut shell, hew MD law for Firearms transfers:
    Person to Person Pistol transfer : Go to Gun shop/FFL01 or MSP Barracks
    Person to Person non C&R Long gun or shotgun : Go to Gun shop/FFL01 holder
    Person to Person C&R Long gun or shot gun where BOTH buyer and seller are C&R FFL03 holders : person to person transfer allowed

Transfers at MSP for pistols is $10
    Transfers at an FFL01 defined by the FFL01
    It has been customary that buyer pays any transfer fees but that can and should be stated in any adds and should be defined prior to sale agreement.

1898 or older pistols, shotguns or rifles or any age muzzle loading pistols, shotguns or rifles are NOT federally defined firearms and may be transferred person to person

FlokiBear

Oct 12, 2020
    According to MSI, exceptions are as follows:

Between "immediate family members" (defined as a spouse, a parent, a stepparent, a grandparent, a stepgrandparent, an aunt, an uncle, a sibling, a stepsibling, a child, a stepchild, a grandchild, a stepgrandchild, a niece, or a nephew, as related by blood or marriage)
    Involving law enforcement and military acting within the scope of their official duties
    Between licensed collectors of Curio and Relics
    Of an unserviceable long gun sold, rented, or transferred as a curio or museum piece
    Between those with demonstrable religious beliefs against having photographs taken of them and who does not possess a license or an identification card of any kind with photographic identification
    A transfer that occurs by operation of law on the death of a person for whom the transferee is an executor, an administrator, a trustee, or a personal representative of an estate or a trust created in a will
    A temporary gratuitous loan of a rifle or shotgun (unless the transferor has reasonable cause to believe that the transferee is a prohibited person).

https://www.marylandshallissue.org/...ker/252-background-check-bill-veto-overridden

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    What precludes a Maryland resident from purchasing an unregulated firearm out of state?

as mentioned across state lines you refer to federal law.

If item is C&R only buyer need to be C&R holder to purchase/transfer from someone in another state and must be legal in the state of the buyer. (don't confuse gun with magazine).

If item is not C&R, you can only buy from or have it transferred through an FFL01 in any other state and again, gun can not be banned within the state.

I"m assuming you mean "unregulated" by maryland law for long guns and shotguns which are not banned, so above refers to non-banned long guns and shot guns.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    I wonder if any of the FFL on this board would share their process and what they charge for doing a person to person long gun transfer?

From the buyer side, I met seller for FTF transfer at Tyler in Halethorpe, who did the background check. After Seller got paid by me and dropped off the rifle , he was on his way home.

After my background check came back with no delay I simply picked up the rifle, and paid $15 the work.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Ouch.....

I think I'll jump on texasguntrader and find someone to buy a handgun from in a Chick-fil-A parking lot, just because..

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Funny thing is I know that law abiding people transfer long guns and even handguns in Maryland all the time without ill intent. Not everybody is on Maryland Shooters where these ridiculous laws are discussed daily. Most people I'm sure don't know anything about the BS transfer laws.

My friend has decided to build his first AR and I was helping him order the parts and pieces that he would need. When we got to the barrel I told him he needed to look for one that was a heavy barrel. He asked what difference does that make? He had no idea that we have been unable to buy or build anything other that HBAR since 2013. He thought that was the dumbest thing he'd ever heard. He may or may not be inclined to be in the WWNC camp but at least I made him aware of the situation! LOL!

Oh the price we pay to keep the crime rate in Baltimore as low as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom