• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Another vote for the CZ options.
    I have a P-01. You can find used ones that are still in excellent shape that will have an "NSN" number on them.
    These models have passed the "NATO Torture Test" and are beyond reliable.

Here is a good article on the P-01.
    https://www.policemag.com/339061/cz-p-01-compact-duty-pistol

The NSN is just a stock number. Obviously not every P-01 with an NSN was torture tested, only a representative sample.

In order to pass the tests, according to CZ they updated their manufacturing, testing, and QC. The same changes were applied to other models which came out or were updated after the P-01, so they all benefit from the lessons learned in the process.

Just saying, you don't need to find one with an NSN to get the benefits of their improvements. Later ones might not have a stock number for any number of reasons, including minor changes or upgrades making them better or more reliable than older ones marked with an NSN.

The P-01 was the first CZ model to benefit from updated manufacturing technology at CZ’s Uhersky Brod factory. Since the time of its introduction (designed in 2001, NATO-approved in 2003) the production upgrades have been rolled out to the rest of the CZ 75 family and several new rifle models as well.

These upgrades mean the components of the P-01/P-06 are completely interchangeable with every other P-01/P-06, with no individual fitting needed. This required some very careful re-design so that the reliability and accuracy were not impaired.
    https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-p-01/

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    The NSN is just a stock number. Obviously not every P-01 with an NSN was torture tested, only a representative sample.

In order to pass the tests, according to CZ they updated their manufacturing, testing, and QC. The same changes were applied to other models which came out or were updated after the P-01, so they all benefit from the lessons learned in the process.

Just saying, you don't need to find one with an NSN to get the benefits of their improvements. Later ones might not have a stock number for any number of reasons, including minor changes or upgrades making them better or more reliable than older ones marked with an NSN.

Reading a bit further underscores the point I was trying to make. They upgraded a spring.

Recently, the factory decided to upgrade the slide stop spring which in turn means the current models may or may not carry an NSN.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Aye.

I carried a PCR daily for several years and it is a fine handgun. It can be had as a 10+1 and is a lightweight, compact double stack. Decocker carried double-action, so just a nice, easy 'point & click' interface.

I have also carried a 75 Compact, almost exactly the same dimensions, but steel-framed and substantially heavier. A little smoother to shoot, due to the weight, but I went back and forth and ended up carrying the PCR.

I have also tried carrying a P-01, almost as light as the PCR, but when I IWB'ed at 4 o'clock, corner of the rail interferes with getting my wallet out of my hip pocket. I later went 100% OWB, so less an issue, but still a little bulkier around the front end than the PCR.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll take a differing stance from Occam's from above.

DA/SA is not an inherently bad choice , * so long as has a decent DA trigger pull * Many of them do . P2xx Sigs are great . Most CZ-75 patterns are good . P series Ruger and 4 digit S&W are perfectly usable .

DA/SA transition IS a thing , but is over blown . A modest amount of practicing it , and it's non issue. . * IF you already are competent with a DA trigger generally * .

I use both DA/ SA and Striker , just depends upon which gun I otherwise like .

Decocker only vs Decocker & Safety are personal preference . If you asked me in the abstract , I would prefer the Safety option , but that doesn't prevent my current go-to 9mm and .45acp from both being Decock Only .

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck

:thumbs-up: Good info. :thumbs-up:
    I did not mean to imply that newer models were not as good.
    I am the nostaligic type and like things like the NSN number.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I am coming from a world of no manual safeties on my hammered hunting rifles (Marlin 39's, H&R USH and H&R sidekick ML), they are all exposed hammer guns with no safeties. But then again I am not shoving the barrel end of them in my pants.
    Prior to last year, my handguns were all Revolvers.
    I am transitioning to semi-Auto pistols.
    My current SA pistols are striker fired with no safeties (M&Ps, Hellcat)
    I am not confident that I will remember to disengage a manual safety in a stressful situation. And I am not comfortable drawing/holstering a cocked striker fired pistol with no safety.

So my search has lead me back to what I am comfortable with,, an exposed hammer and no safety?

Thinking I should think about renting with training a SA/DA pistol with training at a range before I go down this rabbit hole?

I'll take a differing stance from Occam's from above.

DA/SA is not an inherently bad choice , * so long as has a decent DA trigger pull * Many of them do . P2xx Sigs are great . Most CZ-75 patterns are good . P series Ruger and 4 digit S&W are perfectly usable .

DA/SA transition IS a thing , but is over blown . A modest amount of practicing it , and it's non issue. . * IF you already are competent with a DA trigger generally * .

I use both DA/ SA and Striker , just depends upon which gun I otherwise like .

Decocker only vs Decocker & Safety are personal preference . If you asked me in the abstract , I would prefer the Safety option , but that doesn't prevent my current go-to 9mm and .45acp from both being Decock Only .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If your Revolver experience is with DA Revolvers , you won't find DA/SA onerous .

No , I am neither bashing Striker's . There are fine pistols of each , and personally I am confident to strap on either ( or condition 1 SA , or either flavor of Revolver ).

Let me address your situation from two different directions :

Yes , a Decock only DA/SA closely translate for your existing sensibilities from your rifles and revolvers.

No , the learning curve for safe & effective handling of striker fired isn't steep . Obviously you found desireable factors to your current semi's , or you wouldn't have bought Two of them . You already have them , might as well train with them sufficiently to be safe , comfortable, and effective with them .

That's the two options . There is no inherent or absolute right or wrong answer , either approach can be viable , your personal choice which you persue ( first) .

Disclaimer - I was a Revolver guy before ever doing cf semi's . And I started out with my first several semi's having external safeties , and their use is ingrained .

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Or you can buy M&P Shield and a hammer for less than the price of CZ...

I'm just kidding. There is no advantage of hammer fire pistol but on this one regard: you can buy the laser aiming practice thing and use it easily with hammer fire pistol. You can't do that with striker fire pistol!

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I am coming from a world of no manual safeties on my hammered hunting rifles (Marlin 39's, H&R USH and H&R sidekick ML), they are all exposed hammer guns with no safeties. But then again I am not shoving the barrel end of them in my pants.
    Prior to last year, my handguns were all Revolvers.
    I am transitioning to semi-Auto pistols.
    My current SA pistols are striker fired with no safeties (M&Ps, Hellcat)
    I am not confident that I will remember to disengage a manual safety in a stressful situation. And I am not comfortable drawing/holstering a cocked striker fired pistol with no safety.

So my search has lead me back to what I am comfortable with,, an exposed hammer and no safety?

Thinking I should think about renting with training a SA/DA pistol with training at a range before I go down this rabbit hole?

I felt uncomfortable with no safety striker fired pistols initially as well, everything I grew up on was hammers and external safeties. Practice is the key- whatever you carry just do drills where you unholster, present, and then holster again. Do it every day until your motions become so repetitive that you couldn’t stick a finger in the trigger guard during the process.

I carry all striker fired in Kydex holsters IWB and there is absolutely no way that firearm will go off unless the trigger is pulled.

Old saying I live by- Amateurs practice until they get it right, Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    To Occam’s and Bigfoots’ points. The DA first shot takes getting used to…muscle memory for that important first shot. Maybe if people were more used to shooting DA revolvers the transition would be smoother. I think it takes practice. I would like to EDC my 229 (.357) and I feel i shoot it well. Been thru courses with it, but its bulky and heavy compared to my EDC 43X and 43. Maybe someone will come up with a 20 oz 9mm DA/SA with a decocker.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Sig P224

iu

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member