• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I saw an episode of Eastman's Hunting where a guy showed how to take the Tenderloin out from the top of an elk without gutting the elk. Can you do this with deer also?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Yes you can, you can even get the tenderloins from the outside too. Go in behind the last rib and reach toward the neck. Be careful to not go too deep with the knife as you'll hit things inside yon dont want to

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I’m going with no. Tenderloins are on the inside. Backstrap is what he cut. Here is a better description.

https://www.buckmasters.com/Hunting...1/Venison-Confusion-Backstraps-vs-Tenderloins

Tenderloins are on the inside. Loin or backstrap is outside.

https://images.app.goo.gl/VoUgmUci5WNH714V9

Pale Rider is right. Tenderloins are on the inside. Blackstrap is commonly referred to as tenderloin, but technically it is not. You can get the backstraps without gutting, but why? Gut the deer and process all of the meat.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Pale Rider is right. Tenderloins are on the inside. Blackstrap is commonly referred to as tenderloin, but technically it is not. You can get the backstraps without gutting, but why? Gut the deer and process all of the meat.

I could see in a situation where you need to pack it out and don’t intent to try to take the ribs and paunch. That said, I’d go with gutting it still and processing it all out in the field. Yeah, I’d likely leave the ribs. Beyond bulk, even if you wanted to process out all the ribs to separate the meat, it isn’t all that much meat on them. I’d still grab the paunch and tenderloins.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OP was talking about the hanging tenders or 'fish' found on the inside of the carcass.

Didn't anyone bother viewing the youtube I posted? Lol

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    OP was talking about the hanging tenders or 'fish' found on the inside of the carcass.

Didn't anyone bother viewing the youtube I posted? Lol
    I did, thank you for posting it. Generally speaking most folk just post what they think RE: the OP without reading the whole thread first.

In response to the questions folks have posed about this method:
    In terms of WHY people choose the gutless method, typically they go that route because the animal is too heavy for them to move on their own without quartering it up. Bison being an obvious one. Hunters who pack everything in and out on their backs favor it. Can’t speak to why OP is interested, but there’s never anything wrong with learning new ways to do things.

They may also go that route if they are worried about piercing something in the abdominal cavity that could ruin hundreds of pounds of meat. Again talking larger animals here. Even if you clear out the internal organs to get to the tenderloins or other bits eventually, it sure is a lot less to mess with if the animal is already (mostly) quartered

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Not short ribs

Here ya go...

The guy is calling the bone the short ribs, that's not the proper name and it's not part of the ribs at all. The bone is the lumbar vertebra and the part he's calling the short rib is the flat bone you see in a T-bone. The tenderloin starts at the last rib and goes along the back bone to the rear into the hip.
    Yes, all animals are the same as far as goats, pigs, deer, elk and so on. They have the same muscles and bones, just different shapes and you cut them different to maximize the yield or for different cuts such as steaks, roasts.
    What will work on an elk will generally work on a deer, just smaller.
    Personally, I think you'll have a better chance than not of cutting the guts trying to do it on a deer.

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    Heard some guys call it filleting a deer. Guts in, skin it just enough to get the hind quarters and tenderloins/back straps, the ones on the outside along the spine. When your going for quantity over quality and the can’t get the truck close it’s a reasonable option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom