• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Any input on them . Have an opportunity to buy one . Want a revolver . Really want a S&W , k frame .Lke the look . But the Ruger is nice , 4” barrel. Probably get a good deal on it but some of the reviews I’ve read aren’t so good .Hit or miss with them . Going to have the chance to shoot it first . Anyone have any experience with them .like Ruger products and never had an issue with any of their stuff .Was kinda surprised when I started reading up on this pistol. Good gun ? Not so good ? Never short on opinions here and that’s what I’m asking for. Thanks

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Good guns, very solid. Never read much bad about them and like mine. Not as refined maybe as a S&W but they work well and Ruger has a great warranty if there are issues with it.

Best of all, if you get to shoot it first then you know if you like it well enough or not. 357's will be a handful out of it so I would also take some 38's to test it with.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Ya I have P89 , Super redhawk , couple vaqueros, Mark1 , 10/22 of course . Was reading about the SP having hard primer strikes., over pressure to where casing could not eject and have to be tapped out , also cylinder hard to turn after shooting a bit ( heating up) . All could be numerous things , like I said just looking for some more info other than google .

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Any input on them . Have an opportunity to buy one . Want a revolver . Really want a S&W , k frame .Lke the look . But the Ruger is nice , 4” barrel. Probably get a good deal on it but some of the reviews I’ve read aren’t so good .Hit or miss with them . Going to have the chance to shoot it first . Anyone have any experience with them .like Ruger products and never had an issue with any of their stuff .Was kinda surprised when I started reading up on this pistol. Good gun ? Not so good ? Never short on opinions here and that’s what I’m asking for. Thanks

SP101 owner here as well as many other Ruger products, they run as reliably as the S&W in my opinion and are built like tanks. Great gun either in just .38 flavor or .357.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Ya I have P89 , Super redhawk , couple vaqueros, Mark1 , 10/22 of course . Was reading about the SP having hard primer strikes., over pressure to where casing could not eject and have to be tapped out , also cylinder hard to turn after shooting a bit ( heating up) . All could be numerous things , like I said just looking for some more info other than google .

Mine has never failed to fire or had the casing issue described with any factory or handloads.

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    I regret passing on the 2 I have seen in the wild. First was a long barrel 327, second was a short 357 really solid feeling guns. Not as pretty as an old smith or colt but cool in their own way. I must admit I rarely see a revolver I don’t like.

Fl1p

May 25, 2020
    I’ve had a few over the years, never regretted them. Solid and reliable. There were a few years of poor quality control I’ve read about, most of that from what I’ve read was regarding finish. But that was short lived by my understanding.

Rebel59

Hater of Kings and Queens
    Apr 8, 2018
    Went fishing
    I’ve had a SP 101 357 for years. I haven’t shot a ton but never had any problems. Only thing I’ve done to it was install a lighter trigger spring kit. Factory trigger was way to heavy for my liking.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I got one earlier this year. Great gun. I found the sights to be very accurate. I have the hammerless model. When I first shot the 357 magnum ...... "woooaaaaaaah"

I love it. It had been on my wishlist since I first got into firearms.

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    Here is a nice review on youtube.

They are nice compact revolvers with a nice heft for its size. In the store, it feels like a perfect size handgun. At the range, it feels smaller than when you first hold it in the store. The single action feels really nice. The double action pull is substantially longer and heavier (more than twice, it seems). It feels really good in the hands and looks even better. However, it will scratch, so keep that in mind. It feels great shooting .38. I don't think you can go wrong with it. It is not price so high as the SW models so if you are looking for a solid revolver at a good value, it is perfect.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I have a 3" model.

On the belt it carries much easier than a 3" GP100. Although I carry both guns the 5 shot cylinder on the SP101 feels much smaller and the half pound lighter weight is appreciated.

With full-tilt Underwood 357 180 grain loads - boy, howdy. These are my "woods" loads. The first time I shot these loads I ended up with numbness in my trigger finger for days. I since installed some Pachmayr grips and they helped a lot. It wasn't the extra padding, it was that the Pachmayrs were a bit larger and fit my hand better.

Great gun.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I have the hammerless snubbie so DA only. It is not what I would call a favorite range gun. I replaced the grips with Hogue grips and that helped a lot with being able to get a better hold and fit my hand better than the originals. Shooting 38's instead of 357's is a lot more pleasant. It is a very well build firearm though. Fit and finish is excellent.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Have a Ruger 4" GP 100 in .357/.38. Excellent fit and finish .Built like a tank.

Also had a 56 year old S%W Model 14 .38 K-frame. EXCEPTIONALLY well built.

Some trigger pull comparisons:

S&W stock SA=3.5 DA=10
    Ruger stock SA=4.5 DA 12

Ruger after installing wolf springs and some trigger polishing....
    SA=2.5 DA=10

If you like the SP101 go for it. As with the 100, the 101 with .357's will be unpleasant to shoot after ~10 rnds.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    If they one you're looking at is in decent shape, grab it. Generally not as refined as a S&W but solid guns.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If I were to get another revolver, it would be a Ruger. Big "if" though; my most likely next pistol purchase will be a modern, suppressor-ready, semi-auto.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    My little 2 1/4 inch Ruger was the first gun I ever owned. You’ll see it in my avatar.

I’ve never had a problem with it and even shot it in a IDPA match once. (lunacy :lol:).

I haven’t shot it in probably eight years and not even sure I want it anymore.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The SP 101 is a fine revolver .

Oversimplified , Generalized, Cliche , with wide range of results of individual guns :

S&W of K, L, N, X frame ( and I frame for that matter ) would be somewhat smoother and lighter of trigger pull , but Ruger is certainly plenty smooth enough to be entirely servicable out of the box.

After being well broken in , or judicious light stoning , Ruger triggers can be Very Good .

( Insert yada yada about complete detail disassembly .)

SP101 Specifically :

The SP101 sits precisely in a unique sweet spot , that could be favorable or unfavorable , depending .

If you were comparing to Classic Old School Revolvers , as regards physical size and weight , the closest analog would be Colt D Frame ( Detective Special , Diamondback , Police Positive , etc ) . Except with 5 shot cylinder instead of 6 for more chamber wall thickness , and extra beefy frame for strength .

That makes the SP101 the smallest gun actually fully usable and controllable with full power .357 . Not fun and relaxing , but it Can be done , and not explicitly Painful . ( All those Scandium , etc J frame .357 , Are unusable with full power , and can be actually painful .

IF you want indestructible with .38 , and capable of full power .357 when desired , in most compact viable form , the SP101 is it .

BUT , the OP expressed a desire for direct counterpart for a S&W K frame . That was the Security Six/ Service Six/ Speed Six . Alas , they were discontinued about 35 years ago . ( Damn that makes me feel old typing that .)

Ruger markets the GP- 100 as the replacement , and their entry as a " medium frame " , albeit it's closer to an L frame than a K frame .

OP should shoot both SP and GP , and decide which he prefers .

Last edited:

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    GP seems “bulk-e-er “ . I would love to have a security six . Over the S&W . Security six has a special place in my heart. And I understand the difference in the frame design of the various pistols but it is not a no sale point to me for I am flexible with the design. Very time I come across a Security Six I lose it for one reason or another. But I tell ya guys your convincing me . I like Ruger products . To me it is a working mans quality firearm . Going to shoot it and go from there.i guess know one has heard the negatives about the SP . I googled SP problems and was reading that hence my original post/question to you all.Thank everyone for your feed back , I like to do some homework before I purchase something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom