• Total voters

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    [Kev308];6498710 said:
    Well I think it's clear the Sig 365X is the way to go. It seems more people are converted to the 365 from the 43x than vice versa. It will probably be a Xmas present to myself. Thanks for everyone's replies.

The XL is the standard long barrel version. The nonXL is the carry gun. The SAS is the smooth "Sig Anti-Snag" version

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    I’ve got a 43 with extended mag base so might as well be a 43x. I like it but I picked the p365. I had the hellcat and p365 next to each other at a shop and the 365 is a little smaller. That said all are good guns

strapped

Aug 27, 2012
    Carroll County
    For comparison purposes here is my 43x beside a buddy’s P365-

Attachments

• 40A31959-461E-47C1-ACB4-98C23C2B5F2E.jpg
      40A31959-461E-47C1-ACB4-98C23C2B5F2E.jpg
      87.1 KB · Views: 154

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    No love for the S&W Shield? I have the 9mm and 45. The fde 9 is every day carry and the 45 being heavier less often. Bought two 9s and 45 when they had a $75 rebate.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    No love for the S&W Shield? I have the 9mm and 45. The fde 9 is every day carry and the 45 being heavier less often. Bought two 9s and 45 when they had a $75 rebate.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

I have a Shield and I like it, but its significantly bigger than any of the guns being discussed.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Given my limited experience with SD carry guns, I'm not a big fan of ported barrels on them. You never know from what position you will be firing from.
    My 2cents

I follow what you are saying, but the same line of thought would argue for revolvers in place of all semi autos. That slidey thing moving around could be dangerous.

I put just shy of 100 rounds thru the ported 365 today and have no concerns about using it however it could be needed.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I follow what you are saying, but the same line of thought would argue for revolvers in place of all semi autos. That slidey thing moving around could be dangerous.

I put just shy of 100 rounds thru the ported 365 today and have no concerns about using it however it could be needed.
    I think you misunderstand the problem; this isn't just "omg gas is going upwards" or "it will blind your night vision" (lol). The issue is that the ports eject debris which can injure you if you shoot from a retention position. Craig Douglas at Shivworks has a video out there explaining this issue: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=733334056866042

I've done some semi-crazy stuff in my time, including shooting from a knee index with a compensated gun. The porting issue is real for a self-defense pistol, and I'd argue it's a disqualifier. But, by all means, test it yourself. Mag dump from retention. Let us know how it goes. :)

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    The 365 was an immediate no upon holding and no 43x just because; didn't like the feel either. The Hellcat OSP can be had with 10 rounds mags for DC carry and up to 15 with the latest mag choice (10, 11, 13, 15).

You probably see the original resold because people like to run for the new shiny. Not a fan of the RDP with the extra length and no need for a safety.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I like my Kimber Micro 9...small, reliable and accurate for its intended purposes. BTW...MidwayUSA has them on sale right now in several versions. Here's targets from the first time I tried it...seven yards...
    Micro9-target.jpg
    If your used to a 1911 and have it as your home defense that kimber, as well as a sig 938 are really excellent choices.
    I personally think a carry firearm ought to be as similar as possible action as your main home defense firearm

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    FYI for anyone looking at that, the sig p238 (like p938) on the right has a large fat rubber "sport grip" on it. The regular grips are much thinner. It also has a longer mag on it making grip look long. There is a mag that is flush with the bottom of the grip.

I've got a shield (striker), a p365 (striker) and a 938 (minature 9mm 1911). The P238 is the 380 version and about 5% smaller than the P938.

There is no question whatsoever that the 938 pockets much much more concealable than shield or p365. Especially say in a soft pocket holster one might wear in cargo shorts in DMV summers. The P938 is just really well put together and an incredibly accurate and dependable pistol in its class. I have never had a shooting malfunction in the 938. The only malfunction that I have had happen on that is if you eject a full magazine sometimes (about one in twenty times) it will strip out the top round and that round will fall out of the mag well.

now a p938 with extremely thin but aggressive g10 grips is extremely concealable, and those thin g10 grips really feel you hands could be cold, oily and bloody and you feel 100% confidence of great grip. That said, your hand will be beat to hell if you go to the range and put 100 or 150 rounds through it, which is why people sometimes put a fat rubber grip on it.

I don't carry the p938 except on hot days in summer where its its great pocket concealability is so compelling. That is because I don't learn to shoot on a 1911, nor do I have a full size 1911 and it makes the most sense, to me, to have the same operation in my larger home defense and smaller carry pistols

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    after playing with a buddy's g43x, i ran out and bought one. i do have a drawer (perhaps two) full of glocks so i may be a little predisposed... i did replace the connector and that helped with the typical crappy glock trigger. i haven't played with any other guns in its class/size, but esp with shield 15 rounders, i can't imagine a better cc handgun. i carry it in a tulster aiwb holster. that combo is pretty much perfection.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I think you misunderstand the problem; this isn't just "omg gas is going upwards" or "it will blind your night vision" (lol). The issue is that the ports eject debris which can injure you if you shoot from a retention position. Craig Douglas at Shivworks has a video out there explaining this issue: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=733334056866042

I've done some semi-crazy stuff in my time, including shooting from a knee index with a compensated gun. The porting issue is real for a self-defense pistol, and I'd argue it's a disqualifier. But, by all means, test it yourself. Mag dump from retention. Let us know how it goes. :)

Uh huh. Years ago i started a go no where ceiling fire at continental shooting a ported 1911 springfield and lakecity .45.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Thanks for that link. I will be including that in future instruction I give.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have all 3. Well, just got rid of the Hellcat. It was fine, I just didn't like it. I carry either the 43X or the 365X(longer grip).
    I don't think the 43X is considered a (micro) gun. Leave that to thee G43 or 42.

All good pistols. I can easily make the 43X disappear, but the 365 I don't even have to think about how well it will conceal IWB. All great for self defense out to 10-15 yard point shooting. Get which one you think looks best :)

*ported guns are range guns only*

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I have all 3. Well, just got rid of the Hellcat. It was fine, I just didn't like it. I carry either the 43X or the 365X(longer grip).
    I don't think the 43X is considered a (micro) gun. Leave that to thee G43 or 42.

All good pistols. I can easily make the 43X disappear, but the 365 I don't even have to think about how well it will conceal IWB. All great for self defense out to 10-15 yard point shooting. Get which one you think looks best :)

*ported guns are range guns only*

I know we have other holster threads and I’m being a bit lazy ATM, but did you ever carry all three of those, including the Hellcat? Are you still using the CrossBreed IWB, and did you use it for the HellCat too?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I know we have other holster threads and I’m being a bit lazy ATM, but did you ever carry all three of those, including the Hellcat? Are you still using the CrossBreed IWB, and did you use it for the HellCat too?
    I used crossbreeds at work. Stopped using them when they started coming out of our pants during draws during retention /fighting.
    I carried all 3 of course. None bother me.
    Get a Bianchi model 6 suede holster and expand your options.
    I use it for the 43x,365x,p320 x carry legion with Wilson Module, and the VP9.
    Vedder is my go to kydex(for no special reason) and I like Fobus for a cheap paddle holster to keep in the car just in case I need a quick owb.
    43f5eebb13470eb6423c151ddb614c90.jpg
    44abfab80bdee332557e0993f5ef9bae.jpg
    8df4433da91873281d5e6ba3eeba7c89.jpg
    bdc954cfd3e592483c00d4b18d8e2a11.jpg
    ca45cde7c67a2d9db85f85901ef9df13.jpg
    f9e96ac41e33c75a13d0727337d1a6df.jpg
    71d2f636dc13dd94cfb5384a65fd1723.jpg
    b9ab57fb98a2b88c3042f1f08975ffec.jpg

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Ty.

That TCP is sexy looking. I guessing it should shoot as well as it looks in capable hands.
    I'm hoping so. Holsters for them are custom made due to the top of the slide being beveled. Just got soaked for 200 and a 10 to12 week wait for one.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I used crossbreeds at work. Stopped using them when they started coming out of our pants during draws during retention /fighting.
    I carried all 3 of course. None bother me.
    Get a Bianchi model 6 suede holster and expand your options.
    I use it for the 43x,365x,p320 x carry legion with Wilson Module, and the VP9.
    Vedder is my go to kydex(for no special reason) and I like Fobus for a cheap paddle holster to keep in the car just in case I need a quick owb.
    8df4433da91873281d5e6ba3eeba7c89.jpg

That grip tape looks gangster

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom