• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    I know it's been asked before, but my search skills suck.

I sent in my renewal application at the end of September and on 10/19/2021 I received this e-mail...

"Regarding Handgun Permit application number XXXXX

Your HGP application has been reviewed and the status changed to "Application Accepted." Your application is now awaiting assignment to a background investigator based on the order in which it was received. It is not necessary to contact the HGP section for a "status check" as you will automatically receive an email when your application is assigned to a background investigator."

Since then, radio silence. My license expires 11/30/2021.

Is it still valid during their investigation? I know DC dose that, but I've never had to wait this long for MD...

Thanks in advance!

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    From the MSP FAQ on Wear & Carry Permits - https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...singDivision/Firearms/WearandCarryPermit.aspx

Last edited:

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    That last sentence is a kicker. I got the same notice when I submitted my renewal in September. I submitted everything that I submitted in my initial a and two renewals, with no problem.

This time, I go got an email stating that I needed to submit additional documentation. I contacted the Lic Div and the email battle began when I was told I had been "shortaged" because I needed to supply my 2020 tax return including my business schedule C.

Sorry pal. YOU AIN'T GETTING MY TAX RETURNS.

After winning the fight, I contacted Kathy Szeliga. She waited until my permit was in hand before contacting the MSP legislative Liason. This person told her "we don't ask for tax returns". Good thing that all communications with the trooper was by email, so I forwarded a copy of everything to her with the lies highlighted.

Let's hope this crap has stopped a trooper Holloway gets his pee-pee smacked.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Translation - Tax Returns are not Required by the SOP .

However , the individual Investigators have wide latitude to request additional information/ documents as guided by their investigation .

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    That's pure ********. They were supplied with documentation that is specifically required in their SOP. When i told this ******* to call the bank and verify what type account the deposit slips were for, he stated that it's not his job to call around and verify information. That account was set up 12 years before I applied for a permit. The Trade Name registration was also dated 12 years before I applied for a permit. Asking for tax returns is far beyond exercising latitude. They wrote the rules and I played by them.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The SOP is a absolute minimum of information required , not a maximum limit . The Investigator can request virtually anything , and the applicant is a risk of being declared " Uncooperative " if refuses . You would probably ultimately be successful at Appeal , but that's a good chunk of time and lawyer fees later .

Yes , it's BS , but it also is what it is .

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    That's pure ********. They were supplied with documentation that is specifically required in their SOP. When i told this ******* to call the bank and verify what type account the deposit slips were for, he stated that it's not his job to call around and verify information. That account was set up 12 years before I applied for a permit. The Trade Name registration was also dated 12 years before I applied for a permit. Asking for tax returns is far beyond exercising latitude. They wrote the rules and I played by them.

Trooper out of the Westminster barracks, the dumb one with fake ****, told our pastor that he had to get a letter FROM THE BANK THAT THE CHURCH USES that he was "authorized" to make deposits for the church. How would the bank know who was authorized to make deposits for the church? And why would they care?

Fortunately we have a good relationship with this particular bank branch but it was completely made up BS by this particular not so bright trooper.

I feel your pain.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Trooper out of the Westminster barracks, the dumb one with fake ****, told our pastor that he had to get a letter FROM THE BANK THAT THE CHURCH USES that he was "authorized" to make deposits for the church. How would the bank know who was authorized to make deposits for the church? And why would they care?

Fortunately we have a good relationship with this particular bank branch but it was completely made up BS by this particular not so bright trooper.

I feel your pain.
    I know of who you speak. Two years ago, my buddy decided to apply for a permit after I told him that restrictions had been removed from business owner permits. He mentioned the absolutely gorgeous boob job that he couldn't take his eyes off.

He applied using two LLCs, both were farms he rents out. He only supplied deposit slips for one farm which was a monthly rental but not for the other, which was a yearly rental, because he had not received the rent as of then.

The godess told him that since he didn't have deposits for the one LLC, he would only be able to carry while conducting business for the other.

When the bimbo called me the next day as a character reference, we went through the normal checklist of questions. Then I asked if she had told him that he could only carry when conducting business for the LLC that she accepted. She said "That is correct". I suggested she read the MSP S.O.P. concerning restrictions for the various types of permits, where under "Business Owner" it says "NONE" in bolded, capital letters. I gave her the page and section.

Her reply was "Well. I'm not sure if that's what it means".

You can't make this shit up.

BTW, his permit arrived with no restrictions.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    The SOP is a absolute minimum of information required , not a maximum limit . The Investigator can request virtually anything , and the applicant is a risk of being declared " Uncooperative " if refuses . You would probably ultimately be successful at Appeal , but that's a good chunk of time and lawyer fees later .

Yes , it's BS , but it also is what it is .

True, but if all applicants comply with the unallowed requests they will become more and more onerous. People need to be willing to take the time to call out public servants that don't know their job.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

I feel your pain.

I have told my bank, in no uncertain terms that EVERYBODY is authorized to make deposits into my account.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    Welp, I finally received my renewed license... It came while I was away last week, about 3 months after I sent it in...

Funny thing, I reviewed my application and I saw I forgot to list my 3 references... No one ever asked about them, and they approved it anyway!

I'm good for another 3 years. Hopefully, I'll be full time in Florida by then...

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Welp, I finally received my renewed license... It came while I was away last week, about 3 months after I sent it in...

Funny thing, I reviewed my application and I saw I forgot to list my 3 references... No one ever asked about them, and they approved it anyway!

I'm good for another 3 years. Hopefully, I'll be full time in Florida by then...

Thanks for the update. Was the renewal process as detailed as the initial application? I'm hopeful it's a bit easier.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    Thanks for the update. Was the renewal process as detailed as the initial application? I'm hopeful it's a bit easier.

My initial application was 6 (0r was it 9?) years ago, so I don't remember exactly what was needed then...

But it was pretty much the same as my last renewal. But they want everything uploaded online, which took a bit of doing to get all the docs in the right format...

Trappemann

Mar 26, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    renewal

I think, not know, think, that references are not required or even requested during the renewal application process.

I recently submitted mine. During the process of filling out the application there was no request for references.

After I submitted the app and printed it, I saw the reference section, etc.

I think that when you check renewal, at the beginning, refs and some other things, like fingerprints, are skipped in the automated system.

I had to re-submit 1 form. After which I received this message "Your HGP application has been reviewed and the status changed to "Application Accepted.""

I think if the refs had been required, It would not have been accepted.

My $.02 YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom