Anyone use Work Sharp Ken Onion sharpener?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I've had it a few years, today, for the first time I did a before and after.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200409-064743_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20200409-064743_Gallery.jpg
      32.9 KB · Views: 734
    • Screenshot_20200409-064812_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20200409-064812_Gallery.jpg
      34.2 KB · Views: 732

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I love mine. Got some aftermarket 3m belts for my harder steels just recently. It's just so darn easy to use.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    They are pretty amazing. Its no wonder that sharpening services have mostly died.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have one too. I sit down every couple months and sharpen every blade in the house. Works great I get the belts off Amazon. Anybody thats ever used our kitchen knives always comments how sharp they are.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I bought a Harbor fright belt sander years ago. Same concept as the work sharp, just bigger. Love the thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I got one with all of accessories, extra belts, etc.
    then I found out that I hated the thing. I sharpen all my stuff on the Spyderco Sharpmaker now.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    hmmm. I may need to get one of those. I have a Wickededge Pro which puts an amazing edge on stuff but it does take a while. This may be a faster solution for workaday type knives and kitchen knives

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I got one with all of accessories, extra belts, etc.
    then I found out that I hated the thing. I sharpen all my stuff on the Spyderco Sharpmaker now.

Exactly what I feel about the Sharpmaker. The Spyderco ceramics get knives sharper.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The worksharp belts are useless against any hard steels. The ceramic worksharp belt is too fine. Try the trizact ones I linked if you already have the machine but don't like it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    They are fast, give a decent convex edge, and will F-up a knife in seconds. I sharpen and profile some of my knives on a belt sander with trizact belts to save time, and have used worksharp's but can match a precise angle on my edge pro, and get a flat bevel while taking off far less steel, especially resharpening a blade with minor dulling/damage. Not a big deal for cheap knives, but don't want to take off any more steel than I absolutely have to on $200+ knives, many in exotic steels that are very difficult to sharpen.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I've had mine about a year now...

Like anything new, it takes a little bit of use & practice, but it's EXCELLENT...

I used it just last night to tidy up the edge on my Kershaw Decimus "Pocket Rocket" my EDC...

I started out with a set Lansky Stones & Jig, they were OK but the Ken Onion Work Sharp is the best...

I also have a set of 1000 / 6000 whet stones which do a nice job but take me longer...

I try to keep my stuff pretty sharp...

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    The worksharp belts are useless against any hard steels. The ceramic worksharp belt is too fine. Try the trizact ones I linked if you already have the machine but don't like it.

This is inaccurate. I use mine on S30 and up and it has no problem sharpening the blades. They dont need sharpening much, but the belts do just fine. I do go through the belts faster on harder steels though. I dont usually use anything other than the fine, 6k grit, on them though as that is all they normally need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom