Anyone use Work Sharp Ken Onion sharpener?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I love mine, my wife loves it to because now here kitchen knives are nice and sharp.

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    I have one and I love it especially for everday carry knives, kitchen knives, and work blades, I do use the blade grinding attachment though. I have never had an issue with the belts other than they do tend to wear kind of quickly.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Welp buddy gave me one and it sharpened the balls out of my skinning knife and took the tip off my leatherman lol

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Probably not going to win any friends with this, but I bolt mine to the workbench and use it to sharpen swords. Easy to get a razor edge on just about anything. I get that it's not the traditional method, but it works every time. For short blades I still prefer the Lansky system, and enjoy the mechanical process.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I have the standard Knife & Tool Sharpener. I've used it for all sorts of things it was never designed for including a p80 build.

I scratched a couple of knives from debris that was embedded in the plastic guides. Work Sharp has a bunch of tips & techniques videos to help with problems like the scratching (answer is to wrap plastic guides with painters tape).

I also trashed a small Swiss army knife by rounding off the tip. I think that's an initiation fee.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    No experience with the ken onion sharpener...have one of these though.

Attachments

• 41rUuYeQTxL._AC_SY400_.jpg
      41rUuYeQTxL._AC_SY400_.jpg
      19.3 KB · Views: 240

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I also have a lansky but just ordered the Ken onion so I can get the initial cut and then use the lansky to get the finer stoning on it.
    My EDC knife is a cheap Kershaw and gets messed up quickly.
    I don’t like more expensive EDC blades as I either lose them or just mess them up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I have the standard Knife & Tool Sharpener. I've used it for all sorts of things it was never designed for including a p80 build.

I scratched a couple of knives from debris that was embedded in the plastic guides. Work Sharp has a bunch of tips & techniques videos to help with problems like the scratching (answer is to wrap plastic guides with painters tape).

I also trashed a small Swiss army knife by rounding off the tip. I think that's an initiation fee.

For any knives that I care about, I put masking tape on the sides of the blade. It's old metal shavings in the guide that scratches them. Most cheap pocket and kitchen knives, i just let them get scratches.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Figures this thread would pop back up and remind me that I have to sharpen the wife's kitchen knives again. I swear that woman can dull a knife faster than sticking the blade in the dirt!:innocent0:lol2:

JB01

Nov 11, 2017
    I use a Hapstone M2 fixed angle sharpener from Gritomatic. It is like an Apex Pro system with magnets to hold the blade. It is not fast but will yeild a good polished edge.
    JB

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom