• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I plan on setting up a .350 Legend rifle for deer hunting now that straight walled cartridges are legal to use throughout the state. I'm looking for a budget optic (less than $300, preferably in the $200 range) that I can use to shoot out to 150 yards. I'm not sure I'd be taking many shots longer than that. The only optics experience I have is putting cheap rimfire scopes on my Ruger 10/22. What do you all recommend? I have been looking at the Vortex brand but not sure what option is best.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Take a look at a riton x1. They are a newer company I ordered a 4-16x just to check them out and the glass is as good as my original viper pst. I'm usually a vortex guy with their generous mil discount but I plan to order a riton x5 for myself for xmas. Riton has a lifetime warranty too and is a veteran owned company and the scopes are made In usa. The x1 3-9x40 would fit that rifle well.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I've seen the vortex sonora 4x12 on sale for less than 200 today. I have no experience with it but I would think should work for what you want.
    Actually its 150 with a mount or 99 for just the scope. That seems like a great deal. For a budget optic i think i would give that a try for the price.
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/vor...flescope-w-dead-hold-bdc-reticle-son-412.html
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/vor...ever-ring-mount-for-1-tube-with-2-offset.html

I've also seen some decent prices on nikon since they are discontinuing all their scopes.

Cabelas has a Bushnell Legend 3x9 in the bargain cave for 129
    https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/bushnell-legend-rifle-scope

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I'm super happy with my vortex crossfire 2. I bought the 3x9x50. With the bigger lens, it seems to do well in low light.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    https://www.trijicon.com/products/subcategory/trijicon-accupoint-riflescope

A little pricey but excellent. The main thing is find one with a tritium dot that does not need batteries. In low light conditions you always can see where the scope reticle is pointing against a dark backdrop like a black bear. Trijicon replaced my tritium capsule at no charge 10 years after purchase. Battery version of illuminated reticle scopes are also offered by other scope OEMs.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Take a look at a riton x1. They are a newer company I ordered a 4-16x just to check them out and the glass is as good as my original viper pst. I'm usually a vortex guy with their generous mil discount but I plan to order a riton x5 for myself for xmas. Riton has a lifetime warranty too and is a veteran owned company and the scopes are made In usa. The x1 3-9x40 would fit that rifle well.

I’m usually a Leupold or Vortex fan, any idea where the glass for Riton X1 is made? Japan or Philippines would be good, China mehhh.

Op what rifle, an AR or bolt? It’s a 200 yd cartridge for deer so I think compact scope would work well too. Something like a 1x4 or 1x6 .

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I’m usually a Leupold or Vortex fan, any idea where the glass for Riton X1 is made? Japan or Philippines would be good, China mehhh.

Op what rifle, an AR or bolt? It’s a 200 yd cartridge for deer so I think compact scope would work well too. Something like a 1x4 or 1x6 .

Single shot break action.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I see the Riton 1, 3, and 5 are assembled in China from Japanese glass. I will be giving them a closer look.

You'll be suprised....I certainly was. I dont think there is another scope that comes close for the price at least not any that I have seen. I dont doubt that prices will go up once they start making a name for themselves.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I have a Vortex diamondback 2-7 on my slug gun. As you are not planning to shoot much further than slug gun range, that may be all the magnification you need. No point in dragging around a 50mm bell scope to hit 1/2 minute of deer from 75 yards.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Don’t overlook the Cabelas Covenant series, seriously feature-laden scopes for $200 to $300 ish. I’m a bit of a scope snob, and typically only really look at scopes beginning at $700-800 or more. Recently bought a Savage MSR-10 .308 and didn’t want to put any more significant money into it as a part-time hunting rig, the Cabelas Covenant 5, 3-15x50 FFP fit the bill nicely. As best I can tell, the glass is about as good as most of my mid-range Vortex. If I’m not mistaken I think I saw years ago that they’re actually made by Vortex (???). As much as every fiber of my scope-snobbery is telling me not to like it, this Covenant is not lacking in any meaningful way for my needs. I’d even consider putting it on one of my 1,000 yard rigs in a pinch.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The vortex crossfire ii, 3x9-40mm is on sale for $149 at midway. They have a promo code for a $40 gift card with the sale of crossfire scopes.

The 3-12 is on sale too, but I don't think that's needed for hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom