• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    This is a 'due diligence' post.

My mother in law found a deal on a large amount of ammunition for me. Is it legal to have her pick it up, purchase it, and transport it to me (via brother-in-law) as a gift? I can't think of any reason why not. I know can pick it up myself and take it home, so I can't imagine someone else would have a problem - difference is he's a PA resident, I'm an MD resident.

Transport of *firearms* is heavily restricted in both states without a carry permit, but it seems like ammunition is not restricted.

When I say "large amount" we're talking 10k+ rounds.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    There is no issue, as far as I know, with purchasing ammunition in PA and bringing it to MD. There may be an issue though with transporting 10K rounds at once.

I think the ATF has some reg which requires a permit if transporting over a certain round count. Am mobile at the moment and can't easily search.

---
    Shamr0ck

Shaggy

Feb 8, 2013
    Westminster
    INAL, but I've never heard of or seen any limits on the amount of ammunition you can have or transport. I do know you are required to have your brother-in-law swing by my house to drop off the 25% import tax. :D

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    There is no issue, as far as I know, with purchasing ammunition in PA and bringing it to MD. There may be an issue though with transporting 10K rounds at once.

I think the ATF has some reg which requires a permit if transporting over a certain round count. Am mobile at the moment and can't easily search.

From what I can find it's only for commercial use. For personal use there is no such restriction.

So no, you can't buy my ammo.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    INAL, but I've never heard of or seen any limits on the amount of ammunition you can have or transport. I do know you are required to have your brother-in-law swing by my house to drop off the 25% import tax. :D

I suppose we could arrange to meet at Hap instead. :D

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    No limit. You do not even need a FFL if you are in business selling ammo only. If the cars suspension can handle it have her get you 30,000 rounds :-)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    People buy ammo at the Nation's gun show in Chantilly and bring it back to MD all the time. I don't see why there'd be an issue.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I suppose at somepoint Hazmat regulations would apply. But it would be an ORM-D thing , not ammunition per se specific.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Save those empty cases (if they're reloadable) :innocent0

I've only heard of people melting down 22LR cases to be used as bullets in other more easily reloaded cartridges.

And as it turns out... someone was off by a factor of 10. The amount of ammunition I'm *actually* getting is not that impressive.

But, the question has its own merits, so I'm leaving it up. Thanks all.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Each individual round of ammo must be placed in a seperate locked container out of arms reach.

IANAL.

(Joke)

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD

---
    Shamr0ck

Actually there may be HAZMAT transportation restrictions. I know when we would plan for range training in the reserves we would need HAZMAT certified people in the trucks carrying the ammo. In not sure what the round count threshold is, but we were well under 10k rounds. (I think on average it was 3-5k)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There was the time I was shopping at an establishment that sold supplies used for religous and Cultural celebrations , and the customer all signed waivers that they were responsable for the proper transportation of said Cultural Celebration Supplies once they left the door with properly packaged supplies. I was snickering to myself , because I was probably the only one there that did have a HAZMAT endorsement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom