• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greg1323

Dec 4, 2013
    I am a MD resident going to buy a non regulated rifle from a resident in PA. The firearm is a cash and carry firearm in the state of MD. I keep getting mixed answers on what needs to be done to legally purchase. I have been told I need to have him ship it to a md FFL for a transfer. I have also been told that because it is a non regulated cash and carry rifle that there is no transfer required being that there is no registration on non regulated firearms, and that I should be able to buy the firearm with just a proof of purchase such as a bill of sale and nothing more. Can anyone help me out here or have been through this before??

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    it needs to be sent to a MD FFL if it is a REGULATED FIREARM. If you were both MD residents you could just do a face to face. I am pretty sure you can still do this with an out of state resident, just be sure and get his info on a bill of sale and a signature.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    If you are sure it's non regulated item in MD, then just go buy it from him and bring it home. No different than going to a show in PA and buying a non regulated Mauser.

If it is a regulated item it must be shipped to a FFL and then transferred to you.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    If you are sure it's non regulated item in MD, then just go buy it from him and bring it home. No different than going to a show in PA and buying a non regulated Mauser.

If it is a regulated item it must be shipped to a FFL and then transferred to you.

Out of state is FFL, no matter what. You can just take it home at the time of purchase.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    Transfer between residents of different states has to go through an FFL.

You can buy a non-MD-regulated gun from an FFL in another state, at a store front or a gun show, but you can't from a private citizen even at a gun show.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    I am a MD resident going to buy a non regulated rifle from a resident in PA. The firearm is a cash and carry firearm in the state of MD. I keep getting mixed answers on what needs to be done to legally purchase. I have been told I need to have him ship it to a md FFL for a transfer. I have also been told that because it is a non regulated cash and carry rifle that there is no transfer required being that there is no registration on non regulated firearms, and that I should be able to buy the firearm with just a proof of purchase such as a bill of sale and nothing more. Can anyone help me out here or have been through this before??

You are getting some bad Advice in this thread. Under Federal Law you must both be residents of the same state to do a Face to Face sale period. If one of you is from another state it must go though an FFL.

See FAQ question #3 http://www.justice.gov/usao/ut/documents/guncard.pdf

Thanks
    Robert

ivwarrior

Jul 20, 2010
    Transfers across state lines must (with few, specific, limited exceptions) go through an FFL. For long guns, this can be an FFL in any state. Handguns must go through an FFL in the buyer's state of residence. In either case, the gun must be legal in the buyer's home state, and any state laws regarding registration, or owner's cards must be followed.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Transfer between residents of different states has to go through an FFL.

You can buy a non-MD-regulated gun from an FFL in another state, at a store front or a gun show, but you can't from a private citizen even at a gun show.

This, but you can also have the transfer done at a PA FFL.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Transfers across state lines must (with few, specific, limited exceptions) go through an FFL. For long guns, this can be an FFL in any state. Handguns must go through an FFL in the buyer's state of residence. In either case, the gun must be legal in the buyer's home state, and any state laws regarding registration, or owner's cards must be followed.

Thanks for a definitive answer. I'm still amazed how many 'I'm pretty sure" and "I think you can" replies we still get on this forum to questions on law. :sad20:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Is the item C&R ?
    If so and you have C&R then you can buy and bring home
    Btw if long gun and not banned in MD you can only buy from FFL in person if it is an adjoining state.
    If it's say NC then it has to go from NC To mD FFL (unless it's C&R

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

If there is still any doubt, this is the answer (may not like it but true)

ivwarrior

Jul 20, 2010
    Btw if long gun and not banned in MD you can only buy from FFL in person if it is an adjoining state.

Got a source for that? (Other than "my uncle's brother's cousin is a cop and he said so")

From the FAQ on the ATF's website
    From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
    A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Which confirms what I posted previously. Does MD have a law restricting your purchases to border states?

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Which confirms what I posted previously. Does MD have a law restricting your purchases to border states?

IIRC, not completely sure on this one, but, giving it a shot:

It wasn't a restriction - it was an allowance. The law was back when the ATF disallowed purchases in other states but left it up to the states to allow adjoining state purchases for long guns.

Considering you can buy a long gun from any FFL at their premises (registered place of business), it's not a useful nor important law.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    IIRC, not completely sure on this one, but, giving it a shot:

It wasn't a restriction - it was an allowance. The law was back when the ATF disallowed purchases in other states but left it up to the states to allow adjoining state purchases for long guns.

Considering you can buy a long gun from any FFL at their premises (registered place of business), it's not a useful nor important law.

A now expired portion of the GCA stated that all firearm purchases could only be made in a person's own state. There was then an exception stating that a state could allow for the purchase of long guns (rifles and shotguns) in border states, if they wanted to. Almost every state passed this law, and most states have it on their books still. The law states that a person "May" purchase in a border state, not that they cannot purchase in any other state (which was previously illegal under federal law.)

Conductor

Mar 14, 2014
    Loudoun County, VA
    Is the item C&R ?
    If so and you have C&R then you can buy and bring home
    If it's say NC then it has to go from NC To mD FFL (unless it's C&R

Is that due to MD law? There is no federal law that requires adjoining or contiguous state.
    The GCA68 as it was originally written authorized purchase in a contiguous state if the buyer's state authorized it, but that provision was rescinded by the FOPA of 1986.
    Now, the only restriction is that the sale must be legal in both the state where the purchase takes place as well as the state where the buyer resides.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom