• squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    Line #3 on the 4473 requires you to list the city and state of your birth...apparently, if you put "MD", PSP takes it on themselves to contact MD (presumably to make sure you have no "record" there).

Has anyone else had issues with this cross-check taking an extended amount of time? One FFL I have dealt with has alleged that "this happens all the time with people who moved from Maryland".

Pure BS (not you). I was born/raised in Baltimore County and spent almost 50 years of my life there. My wife was born in Bermuda and has dual citizenship with England and grew up in New York. None of our PICS checks have ever taken more than 5 minutes.

I don't think I'd be going back to that FFL if that's the information he's spewing.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    The State Police should not be involved at all in a 4473 transaction. That is a NICS check through the FBI, unless things in PA are run very differently than I thought.

Hog Sniper

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2008
    Being from MD has nothing to do with your delay. I sell to MD residents all the time. In PA ALL background checks are conducted by the State Police not NICS. During your background check all states are checked. More than likely your background being put into research is one system is not responding back to PA. It could be someone with the same name of you, a prior incident you were involved in with no disposition reported etc. (NOT SAYING YOU WERE INVOLVED IN ANYTHING). The PA State Police have two weeks to clear a background put in research. If you are denied for whatever reason they have an appeals process to get cleared. It the event that happens its usually pretty quick to resolve. I've only seen one person denied who I KNOW was not prohibited and he had it cleared pretty quick. He had a VERY common name. You should hear very soon if you have been waiting a week.

kjf45

Jan 3, 2012
    Catonsville
    The day i changed my drivers license from MD to PA I walked into the local shop in town and purchased my CC pistol. My DL had temporary stamped on it and all, other than BSing for 2 hours the approval took minutes. The owner actually commented how fast the approval came back.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    lived in MD for almost 30 years. Moved to PA this year in March officially. Ive bought 3 guns in PA, and 1 in MD I had transferred. First one I still had my Temporary PA license. Never more than a 5 min wait

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    The State Police should not be involved at all in a 4473 transaction. That is a NICS check through the FBI, unless things in PA are run very differently than I thought.

PSP is the point of contact for all PA NICS transactions. Dealer calls PSP PICS, PSP asks basic questions, dealer gets put on hold while PSP calls NICS.
    Maybe PSP knows tha MD isnt fully reporting to NICS.

I always found it funny that PA developed a system that could record all firearms sales, without taking more than 5 minutes in most cases, and doesnt screw gun owners over like in MD.

MD wants the same thing, but they keep dressing up the Christmas tree with burdens every time they look at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom