• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    Man internet lawyers all over, I guess thats what I get for asking on the interweb instead of picking up the phone myself!

Inigoes: chapter 95 governs appointments to a Pa state civil servant job. 95.2 establishes residency requirements for those jobs, not for anything else. At least read the stuff before you post it!

It's OK, I work for the government and I'm here to help. Uncle Sam moves me often for work, and just like military my location is not my legal residence by federal law. Do you guys want a DNA sample too? Damn!

So... Do they give you the permanent license on the spot or is it mailed later? That's really all I want to know!

To answer this question, yes, once you satisfy the requirements for a PA DL you will be issued the real deal on the spot, but what you are calling a "permanent license" is not permanent, it expires in five years. ;)

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Meets the parameters specified in the Interpretive Guidance you posted. Oops, those tend to be terribly flawed.

What I posted was a whole lot more official than your BS that was simply not true. Go ahead and read the laws and regulations for yourself if you don't believe what I posted. The relevant USC and CFR listings are there.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    The license I left with had an expiration set for 15 days and had temporary license printed across it.Apparently its something new they are doing to verify the persons picture on the license doesn't already have a license.. I just actually got my permanent license in the mail. It expires march of 2017

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Man internet lawyers all over, I guess thats what I get for asking on the interweb instead of picking up the phone myself!

Inigoes: chapter 95 governs appointments to a Pa state civil servant job. 95.2 establishes residency requirements for those jobs, not for anything else. At least read the stuff before you post it!

It's OK, I work for the government and I'm here to help. Uncle Sam moves me often for work, and just like military my location is not my legal residence by federal law. Do you guys want a DNA sample too? Damn!

So... Do they give you the permanent license on the spot or is it mailed later? That's really all I want to know!

Darn that equal protection clause

If one looks at the penndot regulations. A PA carry permit is an acceptable ID to get a DL.

seankar

Jan 22, 2012
    Millsboro, DE
    I'm not sure about PA but I have bought pistols in Delaware with a MD drivers license. I own a vacation home in Delaware and the ffl (steeles gun shop in Lewes) stated that " if I have a home in Delaware then I can buy a pistol to protect myself while I am there". I had to provide the Deed to the property as well as a utility bill and the bill fpr the property taxes. Check with your FFL and see if he feels the same.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    That only applies to the purchase of firearms, not residency for a driver's license, txes, home of record etc.

I agree but you left out the mostly false statements made by truknbear.

But PA can say anything they want, but at that end of the day one can only have one State of residency. Having been there, done that, at the end of the day it boils down to where you file your taxes.

Conductor

Mar 14, 2014
    Loudoun County, VA
    But PA can say anything they want, but at that end of the day one can only have one State of residency. Having been there, done that, at the end of the day it boils down to where you file your taxes.

Not quite true. One can be a LEGAL resident of one state, but an ACTUAL resident of another.

For example, a serviceman who is a legal resident of PA, is stationed in MD and has a home there. As an ACTUAL resident of MD, he can buy a handgun in MD, even though he is a LEGAL resident of PA and pays his taxes to PA.

Another example would be a college student who is a LEGAL resident of PA, but attends college in MD. During the school year, while attending classes and living in MD, he is an ACTUAL resident of MD, while retaining his status as a LEGAL resident of PA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom