• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    I'm going to be working ~20 miles south of State College -Penn State, etc. - and should have at least a few evenings free. Looking for suggestions on worthwhile stores in the vicinity that people have heard about or been to 'cause I've never been anywhere near the area and don't know anything about it. I need AR mags, 9mm and .223 ammo (dunno if stores make sense for that), could use an upper compatible to a Stag 2HT... Also would buy and transfer to MD a 308 Rem 700 if the cost makes sense.

A coworker was in Reddings last month, all handguns were 20% less across the board, and that's relatively close to the state line.... My thinking went that further into PA (where there are fewer Free State buyers) it would make even more sense. Could this be correct? Are there deals to be had out there, seeing how I have to be driving up for a few days anyway, and if so where in particular?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Near Woodlawn, going towards Wa-lMart depot is a gun store. Seems large and very down home type of place.

ivwarrior

Jul 20, 2010
    You say you'll be working 20 miles from State College. Where? Where will you be staying? How far are you willing to travel? Answers could open up a bunch of choices for shops, or eliminate some from consideration.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    You say you'll be working 20 miles from State College. Where? Where will you be staying? How far are you willing to travel? Answers could open up a bunch of choices for shops, or eliminate some from consideration.
    I'm a little north of Lewistown, which (from your sig) is probably a location you know well... I'd be willing to drive ~20 miles or so in any direction, else it gets too involved. Of course if there's a really good reason things can change.

ivwarrior

Jul 20, 2010
    There's nothing I know of that's really good within 20 miles of Lewistown. Pretty much everything listed in this thread already is outside that distance. Generally, if I need something here in town, I head to Dan Pierce Outdoor Shop.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Of course if you find a "non-evil" long gun to your liking , you can buy it on the spot , no transfering required.

Draco20

Apr 20, 2013
    MoCo
    Definitely recommend Bob's if you have time to make the trip. Always had ammo in stock when I couldn't find it around here.

rustyrustic

Mar 7, 2013
    If you decide to make the drive the Clearfield - which I recommend - you'll pass by Belling & Mull on the way. It's not a huge store, but they had plenty of ammo at good prices when I was there in the spring. You'll see billboards for it on the way.

Both Grice's and Bob's are good stores. Grice is a lot bigger, but you'll get better service at Bob's.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    If you go over to Duncannsville/Holidaysburg (suburb of Altoona) there are a number of stores along that road. Campbells, hit or miss, what used to be Eastern.

These guys occasionally get some interesting pieces, though they are a little cranky

Allegheny Trade Co
    928 3rd Ave, Duncansville, PA 16635

Also best advice is stop at every walmart you see, lots of ammo to be had. Have seen .22, .300blackout, 9mm and just about everything else intermittently at PA Wallyworlds.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I'm from State College. I can call the parental units and some friends and see where they go. Dad's a hunter, not much of an enthusiast - and I didn't get the bug until I moved here (and, ironically, the ban passed).

I have some friends in the area who had some gunsmith contacts, etc. Asking for you.

My parents live on the opposite side of town, so I doubt places they find close would be anywhere near you.

warreng

Feb 1, 2012
    If you will be doing any driving back and forth from State College to MD while working there, I would highly suggest making a side trip on the way to W.E. Sell in Hanover, PA. I drove up there Saturday for powder and they had a larger supply of powder than the Chantilly Gun Show vendors, as well as bullets, ammo and long guns. Prices were similar to Midway USA without the HAZMAT charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom