• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    I'm getting conflicting info on this. Does PA recognize a non resident Utah ccw permit?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Yes they do.

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

Category 2: States that have statutory reciprocity under 6106(b)(15) of the Uniform Firearms Act.

The following states have been granted statutory reciprocity without a formal written agreement under 6106(b)(15), based on the determination of the Attorney General that the other state has granted reciprocity to Pennsylvania license holders, and that the other state's laws governing firearms are similar.

Colorado
    Iowa
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Louisiana
    Montana
    North Dakota - Effective August 1, 2013 only North Dakota Class I permits are recognized in Category 2.
    Utah
    Wisconsin

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Not if you are a PA resident.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Good point Jim but in order for a PA resident to have a valid Utah permit they must already hold a PA permit per Utah law. So it is kinda mute.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Good point Jim but in order for a PA resident to have a valid Utah permit they must already hold a PA permit per Utah law. So it is kinda mute.

Ok, I didn't know that. Thanks.

My understanding was that prior to last year PA residents could get UT permits to carry in PA if they could not, or would not, qualify for PA permits.

I didn't know it was also a UT law on issuing UT non-resident permits.

Thanks for sharing that.

OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    FWIW, the guy who has been the face of open carry in Philadelphia is a PA resident who carries his Utah CCW card with him and leaves his PA card at home. He says that he'd rather lose the Utah than the PA but it would suggest that he has both and probably got the Utah after the PA in order to comply with Utah's requirement. I do remember that when I got my Utah permit the app clearly stated that if your home state was shall issue you had to have a permit there first. It might be a matter of the different reciprocity agreements between the other states and PA that motivated him to get the Utah.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Ok, I didn't know that. Thanks.

My understanding was that prior to last year PA residents could get UT permits to carry in PA if they could not, or would not, qualify for PA permits.

I didn't know it was also a UT law on issuing UT non-resident permits.

Thanks for sharing that.
    I believe you're talking about PA residents getting FLA non-res permits when they couldn't get a PA permit.

Since the agrrement between PA and FLA was not statutory, the liberal AG kiboshed the agreement so PA residents who had no PA permit couldn't get a FLA permit. It also scroogeed MD residents who have a FLA non-res permit as PA now no longer honors the FLA non-res permit held by subjects of the People's Republic.

Or something along those lines.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I believe you're talking about PA residents getting FLA non-res permits when they couldn't get a PA permit.

Since the agrrement between PA and FLA was not statutory, the liberal AG kiboshed the agreement so PA residents who had no PA permit couldn't get a FLA permit. It also scroogeed MD residents who have a FLA non-res permit as PA now no longer honors the FLA non-res permit held by subjects of the People's Republic.

Yes, that's what I meant, thanks. Luckily I still have UT :)

hennyone

Jan 28, 2014
    Baltimore

Are you stating that you cant carry in PA if you are a Maryland resident with a non resident Utah card or is FLA Florida?

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    Are you stating that you cant carry in PA if you are a Maryland resident with a non resident Utah card or is FLA Florida?

You're 1/2 right. As a Maryland resident if you want to CC in PA you will want a Utah permit.
    In PA, Florida permits are only honored for Florida residents.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

This link says that PA does recognize Utah CCW. But it doesn't say anything about resident or non-resident. Maybe you have to be a resident of Utah.

Boy this might seem to be getting complicated.

Facts already stated here; MD residents can carry in PA with the Utah permit. PA residents can't get th Utah permit unless they already have a PA permit.

PA currently not accepting FL permits?

This is why a lot of you have multiple permits; smart.

Different question: if a MD resident has a Utah permit (obviously non-resident), can they get a FL or other permits without additional time in the classroom?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Yes, but if you take the UT class, you must also ask the instructor to conduct a live fire portion in addition. FL requires live fire. It's in the FL statute.

forummastah

Sep 24, 2013
    Can somebody link to the text that states that Utah non-residents can carry in PA. Unfortunately the text below doesn't say anything regarding non residents.

Category 2: States that have statutory reciprocity under 6106(b)(15) of the Uniform Firearms Act.

The following states have been granted statutory reciprocity without a formal written agreement under 6106(b)(15), based on the determination of the Attorney General that the other state has granted reciprocity to Pennsylvania license holders, and that the other state's laws governing firearms are similar.

Colorado
    Iowa
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Louisiana
    Montana
    North Dakota - Effective August 1, 2013 only North Dakota Class I permits are recognized in Category 2.
    Utah
    Wisconsin

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom