• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I guess I need to apply for the PALTCF since it seems my Utah and virginia non-res ones don't mean nuttin no more. I can't find the application online for Adams county, is there a way to do the app. And mail it and then show up to get the permit?

Thanks in advance
    TD

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    If your a Md resident and don't have a Md ccw you CANNOT get a PA ltcf. You have to have a permit in your home state in order to get a Pa non resident permit. I just got my Pa permit as a resident. I mailed the paperwork on a Wednesday,Friday at 8am my phone rang telling me to come in and pick up my permit. Went in Saturday and the process took less than 10 minutes including Bsing with the trooper who called Md a Nazi state and welcomed me to my new home state.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    As a Maryland resident without a Maryland Carry Permit, you can still get a Pennsylvania "Sportsman Carry Permit."

I don't know if PA Natural Resource laws prohibit open carrying a handgun while involved in hunting, fishing or whatever else is defined in the "Sportsman" but I am to assume (IANAL) the Sportsman Carry Permit is for concealed, only while doing "Sportsman" defined activities in absence of a regular PA LTCF.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    As a Maryland resident without a Maryland Carry Permit, you can still get a Pennsylvania "Sportsman Carry Permit."

I don't know if PA Natural Resource laws prohibit open carrying a handgun while involved in hunting, fishing or whatever else is defined in the "Sportsman" but I am to assume (IANAL) the Sportsman Carry Permit is for concealed, only while doing "Sportsman" defined activities in absence of a regular PA LTCF.

Not that I need it but how does the sportsman thing work? I pick up my PA LTCF on Monday.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Allows open carry of firearm while fishing, hunting, dog training and going to and from such activity wherever that is. Google, pa sportsmen's permit. There's lots of references. I think it has much to do about age. This permit can be issued to people 18 and older.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    You could open carry while fishing without a "sportsman carry permit" as the state is Open Carry state. I was always under the assumption its for Concealed.

I searched PAFOA to draw up the conclussions about it.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    As far as I understand the permit is basically just to allow you to carry concealed. Open carry is completely legal at all times. The issue is you cant open carry in a car because technically it isn't open because nobody can see the gun while your sitting in the vehicle. Open carry is defined as being able to see the gun from 3 sides. So front,side and rear and your good to go. With the permit you can carry however you want without worry. The only place I would be concerned with carry is in or around philly. Other than that everyone is pretty much armed and carries either open, concealed of some combination of both.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    York county state you need to have land or business in York county. I am gonna do Adams county, can take my 4 year old to see Gettysburg too.

TD

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    As far as I understand the permit is basically just to allow you to carry concealed. Open carry is completely legal at all times. The issue is you cant open carry in a car because technically it isn't open because nobody can see the gun while your sitting in the vehicle. Open carry is defined as being able to see the gun from 3 sides. So front,side and rear and your good to go. With the permit you can carry however you want without worry. The only place I would be concerned with carry is in or around philly. Other than that everyone is pretty much armed and carries either open, concealed of some combination of both.

The PA LTCF is to carry concealed, OR, to carry a loaded handgun by vehicle throughout the state, whether open or concealed. Unlicensed open carry is strictly limited to travel on foot. There is no definition for what constitutes open carry, or visible from 3 sides, or any of that, anywhere in the statutes.

The "technicalities" you mentioned above do not appear anywhere within the PA Uniform Firearms Act. If you think they do, please cite something specific.

Miles71, PA state law requires that an applicant be a resident of PA of in the case of a non-resident, said non-resident have a license/permit from their state of residence if their home state issues one. If you are a resident of MD and do not have a carry permit from MD, you will not be able to get a LTCF from PA.

It sucks, but it's one of the ways PA plays hardball. FWIW, Adams, York, and Lancaster are all pretty 2A friendly and also non-resident friendly as well, so without knowing anything real specific about your situation, and not wanting to discourage you from trying, I will simply wish you good luck. I'm curious to hear how you make out. ;)

ivwarrior

Jul 20, 2010
    Open carry is completely legal at all times.

No, it isn't.

For starters, open carry is illegal in a city of the first class without a license, same for anywhere in the state during a declared state of emergency. (which happens far more often than people tend to think.) There's more, I just don't have time to look things up and quote them properly.

Vehicle carry is its own issue.

Take some time to actually read and understand the laws before you get yourself (or someone else by giving them false information) arrested.

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    No, it isn't.

For starters, open carry is illegal in a city of the first class without a license, same for anywhere in the state during a declared state of emergency. (which happens far more often than people tend to think.) There's more, I just don't have time to look things up and quote them properly.

Vehicle carry is its own issue.

Take some time to actually read and understand the laws before you get yourself (or someone else by giving them false information) arrested.

Now that you mention it, it is also required to carry within or through the 1000' federal Gun Free School Zone, which can be tough to avoid. ;)

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I do have a md permit, so hopefully the pa one will be no issue, like I said above the York app states you have to have property or business in York county. Adams seems very straightforward.

TD

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    I do have a md permit, so hopefully the pa one will be no issue, like I said above the York app states you have to have property or business in York county. Adams seems very straightforward.

TD
    I see. I think I remember seeing that on the York app as well, and it is an older part of a pre-1995 app. It longer longer has any relevance or legal restriction, you are good-to-go to apply in either county. As to property or business, just mark them N/A.

By state law the process is uniform throughout PA. We sometimes find a Sheriff trying to get cute on something, but as I said earlier, all 3 are 2A friendly.

Example: they also ask for your employer. I know the question is bogus so I always mark it N/A, even though I am employed. It has nothing to do with my app for a LTCF. One of the deputies told me that straight up on my first app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom