• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Draco20

Apr 20, 2013
    MoCo
    Just looking for some clarification here: is open carrying while riding a four wheeler considered concealed carry since you are on/in a vehicle?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Could run afoul of a hunting statute in addition to the transport statute assuming you plan on loading it. There is no "does not apply on private property" in the transport statute, although your chances of getting caught or prosecuted on private property are low. Easy answer, get a permit from ANY state(no reciprocity needed), and buy a dirtbike;)

§ 7727. Additional limitations on operation

Except as otherwise permitted under Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall:

(1) Operate or ride in any snowmobile or ATV with any bow and arrows or with any firearm in his possession unless it is unstrung or unloaded.

(2) Drive or pursue any game or wildlife with a snowmobile or an ATV.

Draco20

Apr 20, 2013
    MoCo
    I do have my Utah NR permit, which is now crap in PA while on foot. I just wanted to clarify that carrying on a four wheeler was the same as carrying in a car.

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    Unless PA corrected the firearm in the "any vehicle" code, it's considered concealed carry (need a license to carry).

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/pennsylvania.aspx

Except that nowhere in the statutes does it state that carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle requires a license to carry because it is considered concealed.

It is simply carry in a vehicle (and carry in also means carry on).

Somewhere, somehow, a long time ago, some made that up, and it stuck, and has been repeated as fact ad infinitum, yet the relevant statute makes no mention at all about open or concealed carry, it simply says "carries a firearm in any vehicle" and "carrying a firearm in any vehicle", but nothing about "because it is considered concealed".

The importance of leaving out the 'concealed' part is that too often folks are misled into believing they can then legally OC on a motorcycle without any license because it is not concealed, and BANG, instant M1 and loss of all firearms rights (if they are caught).

18 PA C.S. 6106 for anyone interested.

http://www.pa2a.org/wiki.php?wid=23

;)

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Except that nowhere in the statutes does it state that carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle requires a license to carry because it is considered concealed.

Somewhere, somehow, a long time ago, some made that up, and it stuck, and has been repeated as fact ad infinitum, yet the relevant statute makes no mention at all about open or concealed carry, it simply says "carries a firearm in any vehicle" and "carrying a firearm in any vehicle", but nothing about "because it is considered concealed".

The importance of leaving out the 'concealed' part is that too often folks are misled into believing they can then legally OC on a motorcycle without any license because it is not concealed, and BANG, instant M1 and loss of all firearms rights (if they are caught).

;)

It was the mid 80s when they passed that piece of do-do.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    My neighbor up in Clearfield Co in Keewaydin always has a 44 on his ATV and rides the roads in town no problem. Chris

Draco20

Apr 20, 2013
    MoCo

;)
    Thanks for the info. I did always associate carry in a vehicle with concealed, but now I should know better. Regardless, since I have a permit (not a PA one), I should be fine carrying on the four wheeler, right? As long as when I step off it, I open carry the firearm.

Curmudgeon

I H8 stinkbugz
    Sep 6, 2010
    York, Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the info. I did always associate carry in a vehicle with concealed, but now I should know better. Regardless, since I have a permit (not a PA one), I should be fine carrying on the four wheeler, right? As long as when I step off it, I open carry the firearm.

Yes, and I would also open carry on the vehicle as well. Additionally, remember you must have a license PA honors to OC in Philly.

This is all more complex than it needs to be, but it's what we have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom