• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    I am currently renting but I decided to look at some of the for sale listings and I have to wonder how can people sell houses this cheap? 20,000 for a fixer upper 50,000 to move in. I can own cheaper then I am paying in rent for. Is there some kind of catch I am missing or what ?

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Where are these homes located? In the city? If so you dont want them. If you are talking about some place like Kentucky, then yeah MD homes are just overpriced. In many mid west states you can have a 2 story, 1 acre plus, multi car garage, and in ground pool for mid to low 100K's.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I would love to do this for our next house. We had friends who bought an abandoned house for $120k, put about 6 months and another $100k into it to turn it into a beautiful $400k home. It was very hard work for them so I would probably hire a lot of contractors to do it. But I love the thought of taking an existing home and making it mine.

Something I learned from watching my friends go through this is that nowadays wall location doesn't matter. They have better material and techniques to add support braces if a wall happens to be a load-bearing wall that you want to remove.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I am currently renting but I decided to look at some of the for sale listings and I have to wonder how can people sell houses this cheap? 20,000 for a fixer upper 50,000 to move in. I can own cheaper then I am paying in rent for. Is there some kind of catch I am missing or what ?

These are scams.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Sounds like 1996, behind Little Italy, pricing.

For 20 grand today, the house may come with it's own labor force.

Crackheads, Hookers, and Squatters.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    You can buy a very nice banondominium in the city for a few grand. Pour another few grand into a rehab, and rent it to hipsters, single JHU staff, and art students at MICA.

It's like printing money.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Right, until some Ambulance chaser finds a mirco newt meter of lead. I hear that's quite the gimmick down there in the City

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Right, until some Ambulance chaser finds a mirco newt meter of lead. I hear that's quite the gimmick down there in the City
    I would personally avoid the Section 8 set unless you have a lot of experience with that element.

Art students and hipsters tend to be much more manageable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

Rent is definitely more expensive than owning when you compare straight costs(rent vs mortgage payment). Rates are so low and rental inventory is so low that prices are way up. Less responsibility(rental), less commitment(rental) and inability to purchase because of credit have a cost associated with them.

You can find some inexpensive homes, but you get what you pay for and in real estate, location is the one thing you cannot improve upon. You can always rehab a home, finish a basement, add a deck, but you can't just pick up a house and move it to a better area.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    ... but you can't just pick up a house and more it to a better area.

Most of the time ;) ...

00bargehouse-web02-master768-v2.jpg

Houses from Canada were transported by barge to Washington State in August. Credit Nancy DeVaux

Old Houses From Canada Find a Home in Washington State

FRIDAY HARBOR, Wash. — Here in the San Juan Islands of northwest Washington State, where a severe shortage of affordable housing threatens the economy and the community, a small nonprofit group has found an unlikely way to help anchor families that are struggling to stay — by lifting up unloved houses in Canada, hoisting them onto barges and hauling them to where they are needed.

The houses are small by modern standards and old, built in the early to mid-20th century in a booming suburb of Victoria, British Columbia, where eager buyers are now clearing the land to make way for new construction. But the structures had what builders call good bones, and the group, the San Juan Community HomeTrust, discovered that the cost of transporting them across the Haro Strait from Canada and restoring them here was comparable to the cost of building from scratch.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What everbody said about derilict abandoned homes in the 'hood.

But since this is in the Penna subforum, maybe you really mean in Penna. Other than just over Md border or Phila metro area, prices are indeed much less than used to in Md. In certain depressed rural/ small towns, the prices are unbelievably low. Mainly because there are few local jobs, and the existing residents are leaving. ( Substitute extreme southern WV for same idea.)

If you are retired, or make your livelihood by computer with out making a physical presence, great opportunities for you.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Last week I flew out to the San Juans from Seattle and saw one of those house barges. It was heading north so I figured someone was moving a lodge up to Alaska.
    Beautiful area. Used to live in Seattle and spend time in the San Juans during summer and fall.

The second season of Alone (still being played out on the History channel) was filmed on Vancouver Island again, far away from Victoria of course.

Were it not for the earthquake risk, it would be an area that I would consider retiring to in the future. Old news, but recent (Pulitzer winning) article on the topic ...

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Were it not for the earthquake risk, it would be an area that I would consider retiring to in the future. Old news, but recent (Pulitzer winning) article on the topic ...

This is an area I would love to have a place for the summer. A boat on the mooring buoy, a plane at the local airport......

Real estate prices are nuts, at least for the waterfront stuff. You can get a little shack in the woods for a lot less. WA doesn't have a state income tax, so if you split your time between WA and FL, you are good from that aspect. Now, that side of the state is infested with liberals, so far they haven't managed to turn the place to shit, but I am worried.

I think the Cascadia subduction thing is overblown. Of course, if it happens, everything along the Oregon and WA outer coast is done for, I wouldn't expect much of a tsunami inside of Puget sound. For retirement, all I want is a ranch to start with, I'll just have to build it earthquake proof.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    These are scams.

You can buy "homes" in Lansdowne and Dundalk all day for 50-60k.

The difference between rent and buying (note I didn't say owning) is the small kick in the nuts bills that creep up.

We put 350 extra each month away for our house needs and it's been spent every month for 5 years. Rather it went towards saving for a roof replacement, replacing the stove, fridge, washer, dryer, sink, replacing lawn mower, buying new furniture, carpet replacement, replacing garage door, replacing front door, replacing both sliding doors, and on and on.

I would strongly encourage you to save for a GOOD down payment to avoid PMI and to also keep your mortgage close to 25% of your pay.

I know I'll have plenty of folks living in massive amounts of debt grab that quote above and say it's impossible...nope....they are just over strapped, living house poor, and likely carrying massive credit card debts, driving over paid for and over valued cars, and not putting a dime away for retirement.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I have seen what seem to be legitimate bargains in the Allentown/Whitehall area, but not having pursued them further I have to rely on my son's opinion that they appear legit.

I guess anything is possible, if you do your homework.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom