• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Looks like an interesting place for a day trip.

http://www.newfreedomboro.org

Population, only about 5000. Anyone here live nearby?

Any gunshops nearby, or a place to purchase 'standard capacity' magazines?

Anyone around today interested in a meetup in the vicinity, say noon? If so just PM me.

Lovely area. Just a few miles north of the Amish market at Shrewsbury, and next door to Freedom Armory. Great indoor range (pistols upstairs/rifles downstairs). Very modern range. They also usually have pretty decent prices on ammo by the case for sale. Cheaper for cash than credit.

They manufacture their own brand of suppressors, and have a nice selection of firearms for sale and rental. Definitely worth stopping by.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    New Freedom is nice. Not sure it's worth a day trip though. Pretty typical southern PA small town with a well-kept main street area. The rail trail runs through it. Has a replica steam engine for tourists. That's about it.

Gun Bunker in Shrewsbury is a smaller shop, but more reasonable with pricing than Freedom Armory.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There isn't a ton to do right there, know some folks that live in town, antiques and some shops primarily, and some decent hiking/biking trails. There is a lot of stuff close by, Freedom Armory, The gun bunke, the steam train and Amish market are nearby. Hopewell fish and game is down the road running sporting clays sat mornings.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Excellent.

I think you guys just planned our day-trip for us.

I hope they know that us poor Marylander's behind enemy lines are legal to purchase long guns (still true right?, just as long as they aren't on the prohibited list), cash and carry (with background check, and proper paperwork filed).

Anyone in the area is welcome to join us for lunch in New Freedom, if you are in the area.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If you're a cyclist, Northern Central Rail-Trail in Maryland goes north and crosses into PA where it becomes York Heritage Rail-trail and goes through New Freedom.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Paesano's :thumbsup:

What a great day trip. One MDShooter met up with us in New Freedom and joined us for lunch and visiting the gunshops: The Bunker and Freedom Armory.

The Gun Bunker is a very small shop, protected by a fence with razor wire and covered in cammo netting. Very cool eclectic decorations on the fence and in the shop, which is absolutely packed with guns, practically wall to wall and nearly to the ceiling. They really know how to maximize their small space. The two gents working there were super friendly, and knew their stuff. There were probably 4 other people there from Maryland during the time we visited, and a few other PA residents. One wall of guns (rifles) is help your self to look it over, the others were mostly behind the counter or in two large glass display cases, very well organized. There was also a round standing rifle rack with about a dozen (help your self to look) near the door. As busy as it was the guys working there (I believe I recognized one of them as the owner from their Facebook page), were able to answer everyones questions and were showing guns rapidly like real pros. The guys were intimately familiar with Maryland laws, and made it very easy to know what you could/couldn't buy on the spot and what they could have shipped to Maryland. Fair selection of magazines and ammo on hand, but mostly just packed with rifles (hunting, collectables, target and defense), and pistols.

One wall:
    1595402-image-12385-500383000063387-6752033728451519022-n.jpg

Opposite wall:
    1595386-image-10412010-500397556728598-605764126117876341-n.jpg

Freedom Armory was much different, it was expansive, very new, very modern and featured a range. The older gents working there were dressed in very nice pressed shop logo button up shirts, and they were very efficient and orderly. The shop was huge, and not many people in the place. They had a very large selection of accessories, lasers, magazines, gun cases, cleaning kits, some clothing/womens gun purses, and a wall of holsters of all sorts. Even as big as it was, because Gun Bunker really maximized their space, I would guess they have about the same total number of rifles on hand, but Freedom Armory had more glass counter space for pistols on display. They also offered gun-smithing services and a place to sit down. It definitely was a slower pace. Prices for both shops were very similar, I don't recall any differences, but I wasn't really looking.

Two very different shops, they are so close to one another, definitely check them both out if you are in the area. We heard there was a gun show in York, PA today, but by the time we finished lunch, hanging out and visiting both shops felt it was a little late to visit the gun show.

We took some advice from this thread, thanks again, and visited the train station; grabbed a couple souvenir t-shirts, and stopped for dinner and at a couple local shops/farmers markets on the scenic drive home (avoided 83 as much as possible). Met a bunch of really terrific people and saw more pro-2A signs/stickers, clothing than I've ever seen anywhere in Maryland. Last one I really took note of was a big sticker on the back of a pickup truck, it said 'We the People..." in nice Constitutional font, then under in bold letters said, 'Are pissed off!'. Saw more Gadsden flags than PA state flags. Was nice spending the day in America.

peppercorn

Nov 28, 2012
    Timonium
    New Freedom is a nice place and the Gun Bunker is a great shop. Seitzland rifle club is located in New Freedom also. I work with a few people that have moved up there and they love it, always trying to talk me into moving up there with them.

Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    I live 6 miles south of New Freedom. Love the area - just wouldn't mind being 1 mile closer to town. That would put me just over the PA line. Oh well. The Gun Bunker is a fantastic gun shop, friendly, no attitude and helpful. There's a hair cutting shop in the front part of their parking lot that charges $10 for a men's walk in haircut. Problem is every time I go to get a haircut it ends up costing me between $310 and $610!

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    New Freedom is a nice place and the Gun Bunker is a great shop. Seitzland rifle club is located in New Freedom also. I work with a few people that have moved up there and they love it, always trying to talk me into moving up there with them.

Completely agree, I felt right at home at the Gun Bunker - just walking in. Next time I'm ever in PA I will definitely visit both places again.

I live 6 miles south of New Freedom. Love the area - just wouldn't mind being 1 mile closer to town. That would put me just over the PA line. Oh well. The Gun Bunker is a fantastic gun shop, friendly, no attitude and helpful. There's a hair cutting shop in the front part of their parking lot that charges $10 for a men's walk in haircut. Problem is every time I go to get a haircut it ends up costing me between $310 and $610!

As we were leaving the Gun Bunker, my better half pointed out that haircut shop, advertising $10 mens cuts. I yelled to my buddy I was going to take a break for a haircut; then she told me they were closed today. What the?!? Its Saturday... the day all real men get haircuts.

At the PX, where I almost always get my hair cut, it's up to $11 now (can't blame Obama for this one), and I give them $15. One benefit of being a retiree I guess. I see my past in the young troops, and my future in the old timers that just get a buzz cut. Life happens.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Joe who owns the Gun Bunker is a great guy. Shop is small but as you probably noticed they generally have well over 600 guns in stock at any given time. Great place to find all kinds of used guns, or new ones for that matter. He also makes an effort to keep HBAR's of different makes in stock for Maryland customers.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    My old haunts...

I tried living on my own in Shrewsbury, but just couldn't get enough work in. I was around the corner from Gun Bunker, but long before they were there. Someday maybe by some miracle I will make enough money to move back to that area, but it has to be something other than taxidermy. Probably inheritance at this rate...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom