• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ideaman

Jul 17, 2016
    I am member of PAFOA and got a couple of suggestions. I thought it would be
    better if I went here for suggestions.

My brother is moving to FL. He has a CCP and will be transporting 5- pistols, various calibers, 5 rifles, various calibers, he reloads so he had powder, 1000's of shells etc.

Suggestions appreciated.

ideaman

Jul 17, 2016
    Congradulations to your brother.

For what does he seek sugguestions?

MD Troopers access Homeland Security with their license readers and pulls them over for inspections. From reading various comments, troopers seemed hell bent to nail out of state drivers.

My brother want's to comply with MD laws. We know guns must be unloaded and locked in a container, and ammo in a separate locked container. He will store them in a tag along utility trailer. Not sure about the reload equipment, powder, bullets, hollow points etc.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Be sure to transport according to FOPA ( aka Federal) protocols , which are different from Maryland's. Travel directly, don't sightsee or spend the night.

The reloading equipment and components , and magazines are no problem.

The closest to potential issue *might* be the rifles. If they are traditional sporting or target rifles , no issues. Certain Evil Black Rifles were Banned Oct 1 2013 . Otherwise banned rifles that were owned prior to 10/1/13 are "grandfathered" . The very oversimplified high points - all AK varients, and AR-15 other than Heavu Barreled. Yes, HBAR is vague and confusing. Any rifle related questions please ask us with specifics and we'll try to help you out.

Of course, FOPA *Should* protect you for any items legal at beginning point and destination. But that is the subject area most likely to be conteoversal.

And the well publicised plate reader, out of state database stops. Of course this has been heavily discussed here, with inconclusive result. Several of our members who are LE report that is not technically feasable for thwm to do in real time like that. BUT if we hypothetically presume somthing like that does happen in a manner somthing like that, it appears to be concentrated in the vicinity of the Tunnels in Baltimore, and happen in occasional spurts. This seems to be primarily involving the Md Transportation Authority PD , which is sepetate from the regular State Police.

If I remember my Pa geography, your brother's route would probably take him through Baltimore. One layer of tinfoil head gear would be to avoid the tunnels, and circle the city on I-695 aka Balt Beltway. For double tinfoil, in addition to more senic drive and avoiding the nasty traffic around Balt and DC areas, traveling I-81 thru Harrisburg and Hagarstown is a very pleasant drive, and only involves being in Md for about 15min.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I will second the option of cutting across Pa. and then down 81. Avoid 95 until well south of D.C. If I remember correctly part of 95 is within city jurisdiction. Better safe then trying to figure out who to make that 1 phonecall to.

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    Using I 81 is a Good idea. I came down 301 out of Upper Marlboro with the Trailer Loaded Down. Do Not Speed Lots of Police . I had a Flat on the Trailer in Georgia but had My floor jack and the right stuff to keep moving. Thirteen hours straight through (753 miles) . Do not Leave it unattended is good advice I like to Leave @ O darkhundred to miss the traffic at Major Cities and I always Travel during the Week. Good Luck and Florida is a Good State for Gunowners!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I suggest he have someone travel with him and stay with the vehicle during bio-breaks especially in Florida. Criminals there love to rip off out of state cars in rest stops, shooping centers, etc.

ideaman

Jul 17, 2016
    Thanks to all you guys for your help. I believe he's got enough to venture forth.

Semper Fi!

jmcisc

Sep 18, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Thanks to all you guys for your help. I believe he's got enough to venture forth.

Semper Fi!

My $0.02 worth. I live in Florida and also own a place in MD. I routinely go from location to location and bring guns back and forth between my houses, and on occasion reloading materials. Handguns are unloaded and separated from magazines and transported in luggage, except for my daily carry. That stays with me until I reach the VA-MD state line. Then it joins the others. Long guns are kept in boxes in the car and covered.

When we stop for the night the luggage goes with us. Fortunately, I have never had a bad experience. Whenever we stop for the night I try to park in a well-lighted spot close to the building.

If there's anything else you would like to discuss PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom