• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aberforth

Lurker
    May 5, 2011
    Red Lion, PA
    where is Gun Bunker at? is that near Lancaster?

From Forest Hill Gun Bunker (in Shrewsbury) is closer than Lancaster (say 3/5ths the distance), but in the other direction (NW instead of NNE). Take MD-439 west to I-83 and up to the first exit (number 4) in PA from there.

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    From Forest Hill Gun Bunker (in Shrewsbury) is closer than Lancaster (say 3/5ths the distance), but in the other direction (NW instead of NNE). Take MD-439 west to I-83 and up to the first exit (number 4) in PA from there.
    You can do that, or stay on Rt. 24 all the way through Stewartstown and then get on Rt. 851 W and it will take you right into Shrewsbury and right past Gun Bunker. 439 to 81 might be a little more direct, but the this was is a nicer view and you can avoid the highway if you like.

drew_acid

Kreuzritter
    Cash is King....

True, when the price isn't already inflated to full list or beyond.

It's also the cost of doing business. What other retailer of any product adds an additional 3 % to the sell price if you choose to use a credit card?

I bought the same gun for $40.00 less, at a local gun shop and did not pay an artificial mark up.

So I saved $40 on the base price plus $16.47 for the credit card fee. That equals $56.47 in my pocket....:thumbsup:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

It's also the cost of doing business. What other retailer of any product adds an additional 3 % to the sell price if you choose to use a credit card?

I bought the same gun for $40.00 less, at a local gun shop and did not pay an artificial mark up.

So I saved $40 on the base price plus $16.47 for the credit card fee. That equals $56.47 in my pocket....:thumbsup:

What he said! Not to mention they are in violation of their contract with their card processing company by charging 3%, not that the card companies ever enforce their own rules. I guess as long as people go along like sheep and keep paying the gun dealers will keep charging. Not me, and I tell them why I'm not buying. If they didn't accept credit cards they would lose business so there is no reason to penalize the buyers who normally wouldn't be buying.

drew_acid

Kreuzritter
    What he said! Not to mention they are in violation of their contract with their card processing company by charging 3%, not that the card companies ever enforce their own rules. I guess as long as people go along like sheep and keep paying the gun dealers will keep charging. Not me, and I tell them why I'm not buying. If they didn't accept credit cards they would lose business so there is no reason to penalize the buyers who normally wouldn't be buying.

You are right - it is a violation of the CC agreement - I forgot about that! I don't understand how in today's economy the "sheep" continue to allow retailers to do this. Are they that desperate to buy a gun that they can't use credit wisely and 3% is insignificant? I always have the cash for the gun before I buy it but use a CC for conveniences.

I was almost done with the paperwork before they bothered to mention the 3% charge. When I said no to the extra charge he tore up the FFL form and put the gun away. That was my cue to walk away......

Rugbier

Jul 19, 2010
    MD
    There is no Violation of CC terms as long as it is advertised ( or represented ) as Follow:

example only

Price $ 500.00 + tax + NIC/PIC?MSP fee $ 10.00

Cash Discount 3% off above price , not applicable to fee

But indeed no one can tell you Straight price and then add a premium for CC

Also, no one can ask you for a minimum purchase if you charge, if you want to go to Dunkin Donuts and buy a $ 1.79 coffee, they must accept your Card

If you face situations like that , REPORT IT, they will not be accepting Credit Cards much longer

I do it all the time, specially when Mrs Rugbier is a FA for one of the biggest CC Processors

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    There is no Violation of CC terms as long as it is advertised ( or represented ) as Follow:

example only

Price $ 500.00 + tax + NIC/PIC?MSP fee $ 10.00

Cash Discount 3% off above price , not applicable to fee

But indeed no one can tell you Straight price and then add a premium for CC

Also, no one can ask you for a minimum purchase if you charge, if you want to go to Dunkin Donuts and buy a $ 1.79 coffee, they must accept your Card

If you face situations like that , REPORT IT, they will not be accepting Credit Cards much longer

I do it all the time, specially when Mrs Rugbier is a FA for one of the biggest CC Processors

You are correct about advertising a cash discount but most dealers don't do that. They say an extra charge of 3% for CC transactions. The worst is when they also charge 3% for non gun items. They already have a much higher markup than guns.

Mason-Dixon

Nov 26, 2011
    Don't forget Thunderstick in Fawn Grove. They have some reloading supplies and are expanding in that area. Ammo also available for those that don't reload. Prices are reasonable. They sell a lot of guns from collections and estate sales that are new or near new and in perfect condition for an excellent price as compared to new. A relatively small but diverse collection of both long guns and handguns. Customer service is top notch. They stay that way and they will get my business for quite sometime to come.

Last edited:

Mason-Dixon

Nov 26, 2011
    Don't forget Thunderstick in Fawn Grove. They have some reloading supplies and are expanding in that area. Ammo also available for those that don't reload. Prices are reasonable. They sell a lot of guns from collections and estate sales that are new or near new and in perfect condition for an excellent price as compared to new. A relatively small but diverse collection of both long guns and handguns. Customer service is top notch. They stay that way and they will get my business for quite sometime to come.

JRoCc

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2010
    Earth
    My experience shopping for a Glock 33 Round magazine:
    $70 Gun Bunker
    $55 Freedom Armory
    $40 Harrisburg show

$33 York Show :)

I stopped in today to look around. $30 for a T-Shirt...ouch. They had a lot of cool accessories in stock. I picked up some odds and ends and didn't take too much of a hit. Very nice place and awsome training classroom. I forgot all about Gun Bunker :mad54:....oh well, now I have an excuse to go back up.

girlwithagun

Mar 9, 2007
    Pasadena, MD
    I'm not a big fan of this place. On the upside, they do tend to be pro-carry and did help me pick out a holster when I first moved to MD. It was an older gentleman who was very nice.

The downside is their range is very expensive for the area. Also, I felt like they were always talking down to me, like I don't know anything about guns. The last straw was one day during a huge snowstorm when we loaded the kids in the car and drove half an hour to get there in horrendous road conditions. My husband went in first and I stayed in the car for a few minute with the kids to change a diaper. When the kids and I entered, they didn't know we were with my husband and he heard them say, "Well here comes someone who just wants to get out of the snowstorm". My husband didn't buy anything because of that.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I went in for some shoot time on my way up to York a few weeks ago.. its a nice place just a little pricey.

I'm an off and on member at freedom. Prices are high at times. But there is plenty I like about the range. The first thing anyone will or should notice right away is the counter help at freedom are not like most of the know-it-all gun store sales clerks with a dose of gun snobbery you will find at most gun shops.

The other thing I like about gun ranges in PA in general is they REALLY support the right to carry. All of the ranges in Maryland talk the 2A talk but they do not support it at all when it comes to anyone carrying on their property. If I was a anti gun person all I would say to prove the anti-gun movement is this, Go to any MD gun range and you will find at the front door at all a list of rules that tell you you can't carry a loaded gun there because gun are so dangerous, gun ranges can't even trust gun owners.

Talk to any of the range owners or range staff in MD. You stuff better be unloaded, and locked up six ways from Sunday before you think of stepping through their front door. The MD ranges talk all of that 2A talk, but the MD gun ranges don't walk the 2A walk.

When I go to Freedom Amory 9 out of ten people are carrying. They think nothing of it up there because they support the 2A. I was up their one day talking to the gun smith about the sights on my carry gun. He told me to let him see it. I told him that I better not because (being from MD) I did not want to pull a loaded gun out of it's holster in the show room of a range. He told me to stop being ridicules and for me to show him my gun sights I was having an issue with. So I just pulled out my gun, dropped the mag, cleared the chamber, and then handed him the gun. When he was done I reloaded my gun and put it back into the holster. Do that at a MD range and see what the owner of the range has to say to you.

And it does not a thing to do with MD law. Half of these MD ranges do not even let off duty police carry on their property. I would bet if MD started to issues carry permits to anyone that asked, the list of places you still could not carry will be government buildings, School property, and MD gun ranges.

But now that my rant is over, if your willing to drive to a PA range you should check out Trop Guns. https://www.tropgun.com/

This place was 2-3 times larger then freedom and they had the largest gun and gun accessory inventory I have ever seen in one gun shop.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

CC companies charge the businesses 2-4% when the cards are used. Maybe the % is lower if the business who sell enough each year. But there are businesses that do not like this charge and will openly pass it on to you if you insist on using a CC. The other way they could handle their sales is just raise the price of everything up 3% and then tell their customers they give a 3% discount for cash. Same thing, just different words. One way they are the bad guys and they other way they are the good guys. At the end of the day you end up paying the same price.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I'm an off and on member at freedom. Prices are high at times. But there is plenty I like about the range. The first thing anyone will or should notice right away is the counter help at freedom are not like most of the know-it-all gun store sales clerks with a dose of gun snobbery you will find at most gun shops.

The other thing I like about gun ranges in PA in general is they REALLY support the right to carry. All of the ranges in Maryland talk the 2A talk but they do not support it at all when it comes to anyone carrying on their property. If I was a anti gun person all I would say to prove the anti-gun movement is this, Go to any MD gun range and you will find at the front door at all a list of rules that tell you you can't carry a loaded gun there because gun are so dangerous, gun ranges can't even trust gun owners.

Talk to any of the range owners or range staff in MD. You stuff better be unloaded, and locked up six ways from Sunday before you think of stepping through their front door. The MD ranges talk all of that 2A talk, but the MD gun ranges don't walk the 2A walk.

When I go to Freedom Amory 9 out of ten people are carrying. They think nothing of it up there because they support the 2A. I was up their one day talking to the gun smith about the sights on my carry gun. He told me to let him see it. I told him that I better not because (being from MD) I did not want to pull a loaded gun out of it's holster in the show room of a range. He told me to stop being ridicules and for me to show him my gun sights I was having an issue with. So I just pulled out my gun, dropped the mag, cleared the chamber, and then handed him the gun. When he was done I reloaded my gun and put it back into the holster. Do that at a MD range and see what the owner of the range has to say to you.

And it does not a thing to do with MD law. Half of these MD ranges do not even let off duty police carry on their property. I would bet if MD started to issues carry permits to anyone that asked, the list of places you still could not carry will be government buildings, School property, and MD gun ranges.

But now that my rant is over, if your willing to drive to a PA range you should check out Trop Guns. https://www.tropgun.com/

This place was 2-3 times larger then freedom and they had the largest gun and gun accessory inventory I have ever seen in one gun shop.

If you like PA, come out West...you'll feel so free you'll probably start streaking.

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    Went in once and have not been back. I found the prices to be too high for the range fees the difference between the rifle and pistol range time rates were extreme. The selection and the pushing me into a 380 pocket pistol as what I should buy was arrogant to say the least . Being that close to the MD line they have a built-in clientele and for now that works for them. All in all they have nice facilities but I am not into the whole snooty guntry club aspect they were trying to achieve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom